By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72
Medisti said:
Super_Boom said:
Guys, really? Over a topic like this? If you can't make your point without being insulting then go somewhere else. Knock it off.

Anyways on-topic, I associate Goku as more of an anime character than a video game one, but I'm open to whatever Sakurai-sama plans. Would much rather have All Might though.

I don't think it's really about what any of us associate the character with, but more where they first appeared. Goku first appeared in manga, so he isn't eligible for Smash Bros. That seems to be the only hard rule the series follows, and a softer rule of needing to have appeared on a Nintendo console (Cloud actually has, albeit in Kingdom Hearts spin-offs).

Side note: You have the best avatar ever.

Where is this Golden Rule of Eligibility written? I would love to read it.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Medisti said:

I don't think it's really about what any of us associate the character with, but more where they first appeared. Goku first appeared in manga, so he isn't eligible for Smash Bros. That seems to be the only hard rule the series follows, and a softer rule of needing to have appeared on a Nintendo console (Cloud actually has, albeit in Kingdom Hearts spin-offs).

Side note: You have the best avatar ever.

Where is this Golden Rule of Eligibility written? I would love to read it.

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

And if you'd like a link to an archived version of Sakurai's statement on the Brawl website, here's that. Keep in mind, it is in Japanese.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070328190054/http://www.smashbros.com/jp/toukou/bn/no3.html

Wait! If we have Sakurai himself saying that manga characters won't get in, then why has this thread gone on for so long?

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 29 March 2018

Shaqazooloo0 said:

Wait! If we have Sakurai himself saying that manga characters won't get in, then why has this thread gone on for so long?

No due diligence? I especially like that he had an aside where he said "(obviously)" when translated. Like, he feels it should be such an obvious thing that it doesn't even need to be stated, and yet so many don't get it.

Granted, that was a decade ago. He could have changed his mind, but I doubt it. He's very, very selective about what third-party characters he allows in.

Super_Boom said:
Guys, really? Over a topic like this? If you can't make your point without being insulting then go somewhere else. Knock it off.

Anyways on-topic, I associate Goku as more of an anime character than a video game one, but I'm open to whatever Sakurai-sama plans. Would much rather have All Might though.

Nice avatar, i love it

Around the Network

Let’s also put the Rock in the game! He is WAY more popular than Goku and appears in multiple different game franchises. Namco already has worked with him, his wwe move-set (including the Rock Bottom and the People’s Elbow) even appears in the Tekken series, so they are familiar with it as fighting mechanics.

The Rock has millions.... AND millions of fans chanting the The Rock’s name.
His likeness appears in over 100 video games across dozens of dev teams and multiple publishing companies including (but not limited to): Disney, THQ, 2K games, Midway, Namco, Universal Studios Interactive, Spike Chunsoft, Warner Interactive, and Acclaim.
He holds Guinness records - including most selfies with fans in 3 minutes.
He has been the highest paid actor in the world multiple years.
He’s a 10 time World Wrestling Champion, collecting 29 championships in total.

THE ROCK!!!
THE PEOPLE’S CHAMPION!!!
BIGGEST VIDEOGAME CHARACTER NOT IN SMASH!

Last edited by Jumpin - on 29 March 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Start a thread for every possible character we can think of? I say NO!

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
GorillaQc said: 

Putting Goku in Smash as the only exception is selfish and nothing more. You either accept other exceptions too, or none at all.

Fun fact: The only character in Smash that was created in the West is Diddy Kong. Pretty selfish, I know. 

I guess Nintendo should add Krystal to the roster so they won't seem so selfish with their own game lol! 

HoangNhatAnh said:
Snoorlax said:

yeah Goku was awesome in Budokai 3... A perfect fit for Smash 5!

The Rumble Pak was also created by Nintendo we need a character slot for that guy!

You're late to the party it's been serious for years. 

IF there is enough fan demand for others then yes, maybe. Goku does not guarantee all of anime will invade the Smash roster.

So we've had Sonic join Smash (twice) where are Tails and Knuckles?

Mega Man where are Zero and Roll?

Snake where are Raiden and Meryl?

Rob where is the Rumble Pak? I can go on but i think you get it.

It's hilarious how lots of people seriously believe Goku guarantees Vegeta, Mr. Popo and all of anime will make the game before muh favorite Nitnendo characer huurr duurr!!! 

I'm not saying my opinion is right yours is wrong. I just don't agree with your views and that you accept Smash premise change once (x3 if we count Rob and Cloud) but not once again while it stays the same game it's not as if Smash will turn into an anime series you know.

Rumble Pak? I can agree with you, it will be cool for a character who was created by Nin, or any character who come from video game creator, but Goku, nope, may as well ask for Pico from Boku no Pico

Is that the best you could think of? I mean if that's your thing then sure, why don't you vote for him in the next ballot? I'll stick to Goku though.

irstupid said:
Snoorlax said:

yeah Goku was awesome in Budokai 3... A perfect fit for Smash 5!

The Rumble Pak was also created by Nintendo we need a character slot for that guy!

You're late to the party it's been serious for years. 

IF there is enough fan demand for others then yes, maybe. Goku does not guarantee all of anime will invade the Smash roster.

So we've had Sonic join Smash (twice) where are Tails and Knuckles?

Mega Man where are Zero and Roll?

Snake where are Raiden and Meryl?

Rob where is the Rumble Pak? I can go on but i think you get it.

It's hilarious how lots of people seriously believe Goku guarantees Vegeta, Mr. Popo and all of anime will make the game before muh favorite Nitnendo characer huurr duurr!!! 

I'm not saying my opinion is right yours is wrong. I just don't agree with your views and that you accept Smash premise change once (x3 if we count Rob and Cloud) but not once again while it stays the same game it's not as if Smash will turn into an anime series you know.

I'm not saying if Goku gets in that other will, I'm saying that if Goku gets in, you will have people begging for others to get in.

The DB fanbase is huge. Look at any of the DBZ fighting games. They want everyone under the sun in their games. You don't think they would be begging for Vegeta at the very least?

I didn't say you said that if Goku gets in others will, i said that lot's of 3rd party characters have joined Smash and we haven't seen others of the same game join Smash. Of course people will beg for Vegeta and Mr. Popo but that doesn't mean we can expect them to join the roster.  

NightlyPoe said:
Snoorlax said:

Just apologize for misrepresenting my view and be done with it.

Why should i

Hynad said:
GorillaQc said:

Whatever you say kid.

Ahhh, the kid insult. 

The Goku naysayers have reached a new low.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Goku in smash would be great. Just give me an amiibo along with his release and ill be set

Goku amiibo would be awesome.

Azuren said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Goku in smash would be great. Just give me an amiibo along with his release and ill be set

They should make a Goku Amiibo to go along with a Smash appearance AND for a Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch announcement.

agreed !!!

Simpleton said:
This has just devolved into insults and anger over a character who probably isn't going to end up in the game. (I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but this is something I'm at least somewhat sure of)

Yeah i'm dissapointed how this thread is filled with hypocrites, sarcasm and anime haters.

BTW you can start eating your crow because Goku will make it to Smash someday.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 29 March 2018

Snoorlax said: 

Yeah i'm dissapointed how this thread is filled with hypocrites, sarcasm and anime haters.

BTW you can start eating your crow because Goku will make it to Smash someday

Son Goku will never be in Smash no matter how much people scream on the internet, because Sakurai has said NO to manga characters.

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

Ridley has way better chances of getting in Smash than Goku and we all know ain't getting in. It ain't happening now and never will.