By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72
Snoorlax said:

While it’s true that we’ve added characters from other companies,

It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.

Goku is not anyone and everyone, he's one of the most requested characters by fans.

That means absolutely nothing.  Ridley is one of the most requested characters by fans, their are many "most requested characters by fans" but none of them are getting in either. Especially if they're manga characters.

Also you conveniently left this part out

Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously).

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 30 March 2018

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Snoorlax said:

Goku is not anyone and everyone, he's one of the most requested characters by fans.

That means absolutely nothing.  Ridley is one of the most requested characters by fans, their are many "most requested characters by fans" but none of them are getting in either. Especially if they're manga characters.

Don't bother. I've been posting interviews and sources showing this and people will just ignore it and keep arguing.

Medisti said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

Don't bother. I've been posting interviews and sources showing this and people will just ignore it and keep arguing.

At this point I feel like we're going in circles because one side clearly explains and provides evidence supporting their claim (us) and the other completely ignores it and follows up with Strawman arguments (them). Its getting a little annoying.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Medisti said:

At this point I feel like we're going in circles because one side clearly explains and provides evidence supporting their claim (us) and the other completely ignores it and follows up with Strawman arguments (them). Its getting a little annoying.

You must be new here. ;) Don't worry, you'll adapt to VGChartz soon.

I want Lionel Messi in Smash Bros. because he was in more than 50 video games.

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Medisti said:

I like how evidence in support (such as overwhelming video game presence, longevity in the video game industry, placement in Smash polls, or even support from official sources) is a strawman and an eleven year old email response (it's not even an interview like many are claiming) is evidence.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:

I like how evidence in support (such as overwhelming video game presence, longevity in the video game industry, placement in Smash polls, or even support from official sources) is a strawman

We have already gone over why this doesn't matter.

1. Dragon Ball series originated from manga, therefor Goku is a Manga character and is not eligible for Smash

2. No matter how many games he's been in that will never change the fact that he is a manga character.

3. There are many characters that people want in Smash that are ridiculous and Goku stands less of a chance than most of them.

As for the sources from you guys, I haven't seen any. If you would be so kind to post them i'll look them over (i'm being genuine here). I haven't seen everything in this thread but i've seen sources posted that go against your arguments, i'll give you a fair shake if you post your own.

and an eleven year old email response (it's not even an interview like many are claiming) is evidence.

It seems like its a collection of various interviews and such over the years not just an eleven year old email response and I don't think theirs any reason to think that Sakurai has changed his stance because he still says something similar in reference to Mega Man.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Azuren said:

I like how evidence in support (such as overwhelming video game presence, longevity in the video game industry, placement in Smash polls, or even support from official sources) is a strawman

We have already gone over why this doesn't matter.

1. Dragon Ball series originated from manga, therefor Goku is a Manga character and is not eligible for Smash

2. No matter how many games he's been in that will never change the fact that he is a manga character.

3. There are many characters that people want in Smash that are ridiculous and Goku stands less of a chance than most of them.

As for the sources from you guys, I haven't seen any. If you would be so kind to post them i'll look them over (i'm being genuine here). I haven't seen everything in this thread but i've seen sources posted that go against your arguments, i'll give you a fair shake if you post your own.

and an eleven year old email response (it's not even an interview like many are claiming) is evidence.

It seems like its a collection of various interviews and such over the years not just an eleven year old email response and I don't think theirs any reason to think that Sakurai has changed his stance because he still says something similar in reference to Mega Man.

1. And he has nearly 100 video game appearances. You're right- we did go over this.

2. Correct, he'll always be a manga character. And due to his staggering presence in video games, he's also a video game character.

3. Except Goku's presence in gaming makes him anything but ridiculous.

My source for Goku's gaming presence is easily located on Wikipedia (which I've posted before, but here it is again: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_video_games?wprov=sfla1). Goku's gaming presence is well documented, unlike a single email response from Sakurai that appeared on a Japanese website eleven years ago and can now only be found in Google's cache. While Funimation only owns licensing rights in certain countries, their request for Goku in Smash holds more water than most.

And last I checked, that was the only time Manga characters were disregarded. If you have other instances I'll read them, but so far it's coming down to an email response eleven years ago.

And I'm trying not to bring Mega Man into this, because it's a classic example of "Sakurai said, BUT". The problem with dropping that argument here is it disavows ALL word of God evidence and we're left speculating on anarchy.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Snoorlax said:

Just Nintendo characters = Snake and Sonic say hi

Just videogame characters = R.O.B. says hello

Both series have appeared on Nintendo consoles. 

R.O.B is a Nintendo character.

3rd parties that appeared on Nintendo console = Cloud emo stares.

Cloud does not represent Kingdom Hearts he represents the mainline FF series, so the spin-offs don't count.

He's the most iconic Final Fantasy character, if he wasn't gonna be in, Final Fantasy would've been excluded period. Early Final Fantasy was on Nintendo consoles its just unfortunate that the most iconic character of the series appeared when it become a Playstation series.

Oh really? according to you Terra, Cecil, Kefka or a Chocobo wouldn't qualify to appear in Smash 4 simply because they're not as popular as Cloud? Let me remind you that nobody here in the west asked for Cloud to be in Smash 4 it was Nintendo themselves that decided to throw him in there and many were against this. 

Medisti said:
Snoorlax said:

Let's see here

Just Nintendo characters = Snake and Sonic say hi

Just videogame characters = R.O.B. says hello

3rd parties that appeared on Nintendo console = Cloud emo stares.

Cloud does not represent Kingdom Hearts he represents the mainline FF series, so the spin-offs don't count.

I voted for Bayonetta and was happy to see her win but i honestly believe Sakurai just wanted her in the game not that she actually won the ballot.

Yeah sure buddy, lol

That's how most of us viewed Smash up until Snake and Sonic joined the game.

Yeah we all thought that Smash only included videogame characters and 3rd parties that appeared on Nintendo consoles but then we got Rob and Cloud. BTW here are some points that you should reread.

Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.

Bandai Namco owns the videogame rights of DBZ and they co-developed Smash 4 so if they can work it out they can easily add Goku.

Funimation sure wants Goku in so we can easily get the American Dub in western versions as well.

I need them to let me take charge of the character.

Why wouldn't they do this? Every other 3rd party did with no problems.

In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.

Same as above.

The character must carry game history with them.

DBZ game history is older than most of Nintendo's own IPS. Since 1986 all the way up to 2018 so Goku has more than enough game history.

Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

Dbz has appeared numerous times MORE SO than any 3rd party character that has joined Smash on Nintendo platforms and on pretty much every Nintendo console even on Switch.

I said nothing about Nintendo characters only. Snake had been on the NES and Gamecube (Twin Snakes) and Sonic had been on the Gamecube, so I don't really know what your point is there.

R.O.B. is a peripheral made for video games. The Super Scope is in the game as well. That's like saying amiibo don't count as video game accessories. Again, I fail to see your point.

Sakurai said in an interview when he decided he wanted a Final Fantasy character first, and then started looking at the series's history with Nintendo. Cloud was only allowed because of the spin-offs, so again, you have no point. He also said if Cloud hadn't been in those spin-off, Buttz was the next choice because of Final Fantasy V being on SNES. (Why VI wasn't considered, don't me.)

Basically, you've added nothing. So good work.

I didn't say you said that, but it was the first "rule" that was already broken with Brawl.

Snake and Sonic aren't Nintendo characters... is it that so hard to understand?

I fail to see your comparison. Amiibo's are accessories based on videogame characters, Rob is the only Smash character based on an accessory in other words NOT a videogame character, he could have been an item just like the Super Scope.

It's nowhere mentioned that Sakurai allowed Cloud because of the spin-offs so you're just making shit up now. Sakurai said that Cloud is obviously the most popular FF character and most people probably wouldn't recognize Terra or Bartz (i don't agree with the former) so he went for Cloud because of FAN REQUESTS. So again, he ignored the appear once on a Nintendo console rule for the sake of character popularity and fan deman so you're the one with no points here.

Basically, reread my post and quote your sources right before responding lol.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Snoorlax said:

I already responded to that part: 

Snoorlax said:  Yeah we all thought that Smash only included videogame characters and 3rd parties that appeared on Nintendo consoles but then we got Rob and Cloud. BTW here are some points that you should reread.

That's the only part you're focusing on but i've already countered the 4 other points.

Medisti said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

I didn't ignore your sources. I've adressed all of the points Sakurai left lol

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Medisti said:

lol well if thats the case nobody is forcing you to stick around here using your same old tired arguments.

Azuren said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

I like how evidence in support (such as overwhelming video game presence, longevity in the video game industry, placement in Smash polls, or even support from official sources) is a strawman and an eleven year old email response (it's not even an interview like many are claiming) is evidence.

Yeah, remember we are the ones with the strawman arguments lol! 

While it's true Sakurai could change his mind, an eleven year-old email response (which is not the only time this issue has been addressed, mind you) is more compelling evidence than someone's opinion about what makes someone qualify as a video game character. Superman and John Madden should be a lock for Smash next, then.