By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72

love goku, but keeping him with namco exclusively is better.

Around the Network
Medisti said:
While it's true Sakurai could change his mind, an eleven year-old email response (which is not the only time this issue has been addressed, mind you) is more compelling evidence than someone's opinion about what makes someone qualify as a video game character. Superman and John Madden should be a lock for Smash next, then.

Except the entire point of this thread is that Funimation called for it. EA didn't call for John Madden, and Warner didn't call for Superman. Granted Funimation doesn't own Goku, only licensing rights, it's still not an apt comparison to suggest that character or that person for Smash.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:

1. And he has nearly 100 video game appearances. You're right- we did go over this.

and I said in my post, this doesn't matter. It's not like the video games have been a main focus for the franchise anyway.

2. Correct, he'll always be a manga character. And due to his staggering presence in video games, he's also a video game character.

He's a manga character. If we applied this to something like Spider-Man it would mean Spider-Man is also a video game character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spider-Man_video_games

We still refer to Spider-man as a comic character and not by his various and frequent appearances in other media.

Just because his series has seen a lot of games doesn't mean he's also a video game character. It's an extension of the franchise but it's characters are still manga characters. Like if I made a bunch of comics starring my own character and then those got adopted into various games over a decade, that would still mean its a comicbook character and just a comicbook character. 

Like I get what you're saying but thats not how it goes. It's at least not how most people determine things like this. No one refers Goku as a video game character.

3. Except Goku's presence in gaming makes him anything but ridiculous.

I wasn't only referring to non-video game characters. I was also referring to a character like Ridley who is a completely absurd pick to be in Smash bros and stands little chance to get in even though he is very iconic character in the Metroid series. It means Goku's chances are even lower than his imo, because if a ridiculous pick like Ridley that appears on many Smash wish list and is actually a video game character can't get in, then that means a manga character regardless of popularity and video game presence stands very little chance.

My source for Goku's gaming presence is easily located on Wikipedia (which I've posted before, but here it is again: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_video_games?wprov=sfla1). Goku's gaming presence is well documented, unlike a single email response from Sakurai that appeared on a Japanese website eleven years ago and can now only be found in Google's cache.

Sorry, this means nothing to me. The main problem we have here is that you believe Goku's presence in video games means something and I (and others) disagree. Again I know what you're going for, but characters are what they originate from. I suppose we should agree to disagree.

While Funimation only owns licensing rights in certain countries, their request for Goku in Smash holds more water than most.

I don't think any companies request to have their character in Smash means anything. Many developers have done this for Smash 4.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/31il09/what_companies_have_made_statements_about_wanting/

Also since it's only Funimation saying it, it means even less to me honestly. If it's not the Japanese companies then it doesn't matter tbh.

And last I checked, that was the only time Manga characters were disregarded. If you have other instances I'll read them, but so far it's coming down to an email response eleven years ago.

Posting links to interviews and stuff though, even if old to support a claim seems more valid. We have no reason to think that anything has change since and its at least something. Better to provide something that was said by Sakurai than nothing at all. Not to be rude, but it comes off as you not wanting to acknowledge it because it goes against your argument.

I want to stress that I know what you're saying, but it all goes back to us disagreeing on what Goku is classified as and how. I'll agree to disagree and try not to bring that up (its really hard though) but I don't know what else their is to talk about other that because it seems to all tie back to that topic. 

Azuren said:
Medisti said:
While it's true Sakurai could change his mind, an eleven year-old email response (which is not the only time this issue has been addressed, mind you) is more compelling evidence than someone's opinion about what makes someone qualify as a video game character. Superman and John Madden should be a lock for Smash next, then.

Except the entire point of this thread is that Funimation called for it. EA didn't call for John Madden, and Warner didn't call for Superman. Granted Funimation doesn't own Goku, only licensing rights, it's still not an apt comparison to suggest that character or that person for Smash.

The people who made Super Meat Boy also called for him to be in Smash during the Smash Ballot. Your point?

Snoorlax said:

Oh really? according to you Terra, Cecil, Kefka or a Chocobo wouldn't qualify to appear in Smash 4 simply because they're not as popular as Cloud? Let me remind you that nobody here in the west asked for Cloud to be in Smash 4 it was Nintendo themselves that decided to throw him in there and many were against this. 

?!

I don't understand what you're getting at. I'm basically saying that only iconic video game characters are qualified for Smash from 3rd parties. So yes those 3 wouldn't get in just like Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog.

I already responded to that part: 

Snoorlax said:  Yeah we all thought that Smash only included videogame characters and 3rd parties that appeared on Nintendo consoles but then we got Rob and Cloud. BTW here are some points that you should reread.

That's the only part you're focusing on but i've already countered the 4 other points.

Is it video game or Nintendo characters? I swear you switched between the 2 at some point because I responded to the R.O.B bit you have saying that he's a Nintendo character.

That's the only part you're focusing on but i've already countered the 4 other points.

Fair enough, though it wasn't clear that that was what you were referring to.

lol well if thats the case nobody is forcing you to stick around here using your same old tired arguments.

I mean honestly i'm having fun here, so its whatever but it gets a little annoying at times seeing this thread. It's also starting to get repetitive though, you always go back to ROB and Cloud in most of your posts and that other guy always goes back to Goku's video game presence and I (and others) always go back to the fact that Goku isn't a video game character or what Sakurai has said. I think there might be a bit more to talk about and I hope someone takes us away from the usual.

Yeah, remember we are the ones with the strawman arguments lol! 

It's not a strawman if we're providing sources to things Sakurai has said himself and not just opinions.

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Azuren said:

1. And he has nearly 100 video game appearances. You're right- we did go over this.

and I said in my post, this doesn't matter. It's not like the video games have been a main focus for the franchise anyway.

Video games have been a minor focus since the beginning and a very heavy focus from the 90's and beyond. You can say it doesn't matter, but that's just something we're going to disagree on.

2. Correct, he'll always be a manga character. And due to his staggering presence in video games, he's also a video game character.

He's a manga character. If we applied this to something like Spider-Man it would mean Spider-Man is also a video game character.

We still refer to Spider-man as a comic character and not by his various and frequent appearances in other media.

Just because his series has seen a lot of games doesn't mean he's also a video game character. It's an extension of the franchise but it's characters are still manga characters. Like if I made a bunch of comics starring my own character and then those got adopted into various games over a decade, that would still mean its a comicbook character and just a comicbook character. 

Like I get what you're saying but thats not how it goes. It's at least not how most people determine things like this. No one refers Goku as a video game character.

I wasn't only referring to non-video game characters. I was also referring to a character like Ridley who is a completely absurd pick to be in Smash bros and stands little chance to get in even though he is very iconic character in the Metroid series. It means Goku's chances are even lower than his imo, because if a ridiculous pick like Ridley that appears on many Smash wish list and is actually a video game character can't get in, then that means a manga character regardless of popularity and video game presence stands very little chance.

In all honesty, I don't even know how to define Spider-Man anymore. He started in comics. Then he dominated every known medium. As I'm sure the big wigs at Marvel and Sony would agree, Spider-Man may have started as a comic character, but he's a one-man franchise now.

My source for Goku's gaming presence is easily located on Wikipedia (which I've posted before, but here it is again: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_video_games?wprov=sfla1). Goku's gaming presence is well documented, unlike a single email response from Sakurai that appeared on a Japanese website eleven years ago and can now only be found in Google's cache.

Sorry, this means nothing to me. The main problem we have here is that you believe Goku's presence in video games means something and I (and others) disagree. Again I know what you're going for, but characters are what they originate from. I suppose we should agree to disagree.

First of all, if you want to get into what others think on the subject, I think it's pretty important to note that the sides of the argument are so close that determining a clear winner on support isn't going to happen.

Second of all, I don't think I care if it means nothing to you. It clearly means a lot to others. More than an eleven year old statement does, anyway.

While Funimation only owns licensing rights in certain countries, their request for Goku in Smash holds more water than most.

I don't think any companies request to have their character in Smash means anything. Many developers have done this for Smash 4.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/31il09/what_companies_have_made_statements_about_wanting/

Also since it's only Funimation saying it, it means even less to me honestly. If it's not the Japanese companies then it doesn't matter tbh.

I only said it holds more water, not that it's definitive proof that it will happen. And if nothing else, that's Funimation, a company with more say on Goku than you or I, implying Goku is video game enough to be in Smash.

And last I checked, that was the only time Manga characters were disregarded. If you have other instances I'll read them, but so far it's coming down to an email response eleven years ago.

Posting links to interviews and stuff though, even if old to support a claim seems more valid. We have no reason to think that anything has change since and its at least something. Better to provide something that was said by Sakurai than nothing at all. Not to be rude, but it comes off as you not wanting to acknowledge it because it goes against your argument.

And again, this is eleven years old. Eleven years ago, the PS3 was struggling, the 360 was RRoDing, and the Wii was proving the existence of a casual gaming market. A lot has happened, and a lot of thought processes have changed.

I want to stress that I know what you're saying, but it all goes back to us disagreeing on what Goku is classified as and how. I'll agree to disagree and try not to bring that up (its really hard though) but I don't know what else their is to talk about other that because it seems to all tie back to that topic. 

Medisti said:
Azuren said:

The people who made Super Meat Boy also called for him to be in Smash during the Smash Ballot. Your point?

I made the point in my post. Either you didn't read it or you're remaining willfully ignorant to my point, and in both cases I have nothing to say.

Azuren said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

Video games have been a minor focus since the beginning and a very heavy focus from the 90's and beyond. You can say it doesn't matter, but that's just something we're going to disagree on.

In all honesty, I don't even know how to define Spider-Man anymore. He started in comics. Then he dominated every known medium. As I'm sure the big wigs at Marvel and Sony would agree, Spider-Man may have started as a comic character, but he's a one-man franchise now.

First of all, if you want to get into what others think on the subject, I think it's pretty important to note that the sides of the argument are so close that determining a clear winner on support isn't going to happen.

Second of all, I don't think I care if it means nothing to you. It clearly means a lot to others. More than an eleven year old statement does, anyway.

I only said it holds more water, not that it's definitive proof that it will happen. And if nothing else, that's Funimation, a company with more say on Goku than you or I, implying Goku is video game enough to be in Smash.

And again, this is eleven years old. Eleven years ago, the PS3 was struggling, the 360 was RRoDing, and the Wii was proving the existence of a casual gaming market. A lot has happened, and a lot of thought processes have changed.

Medisti said:

I made the point in my post. Either you didn't read it or you're remaining willfully ignorant to my point, and in both cases I have nothing to say.

Your point seems to be Funimation, who do not actually have the rights to Goku for something like this by the way, made a joke tweet, just like a bunch of other companies have done about having characters in Smash. Ergo, you have no point.

IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!

The Rock will layeth the SMASHdown on all their Goku-Noku candy asses!

The people have spoken, and they are chanting the Rock’s name!

Do you smell what’s cooking?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Medisti said:
Azuren said:

Your point seems to be Funimation, who do not actually have the rights to Goku for something like this by the way, made a joke tweet, just like a bunch of other companies have done about having characters in Smash. Ergo, you have no point.

Oh cool, you weren't paying attention. I'm so surprised.

The point is no one in power related to Superman or Madden called for their characters in Smash, whether or not you perceive it as a joke. So when you hop in here saying "So we should add ____ and ____ because they have video games, too" is not an apt comparison. Not only are those not characters with with a video game background that surpasses their other mediums in quantity (and at many points, quality), but they're not part of this conversation because Warner and EA haven't said anything about it.

And yes, before you distract yourself with a tangent about how Funimation doesn't own Goku, I'm wildly aware. But they are still in an official position that represents Goku in the west, giving their word more credence than mine or yours.

To summarize: We're discussing characters who have a long history of games and who were recommended in Smash by someone who represents them. Quit setting up strawmen.

Azuren said:
Medisti said:

Oh cool, you weren't paying attention. I'm so surprised.

The point is no one in power related to Superman or Madden called for their characters in Smash, whether or not you perceive it as a joke. So when you hop in here saying "So we should add ____ and ____ because they have video games, too" is not an apt comparison. Not only are those not characters with with a video game background that surpasses their other mediums in quantity (and at many points, quality), but they're not part of this conversation because Warner and EA haven't said anything about it.

And yes, before you distract yourself with a tangent about how Funimation doesn't own Goku, I'm wildly aware. But they are still in an official position that represents Goku in the west, giving their word more credence than mine or yours.

To summarize: We're discussing characters who have a long history of games and who were recommended in Smash by someone who represents them. Quit setting up strawmen.

You're still yet to disprove the long-standing stance by Sakurai that characters who originated outside of video games won't be in Smash. Until you do that, you have no argument.