By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72
Medisti said:
Azuren said:

Oh cool, you weren't paying attention. I'm so surprised.

The point is no one in power related to Superman or Madden called for their characters in Smash, whether or not you perceive it as a joke. So when you hop in here saying "So we should add ____ and ____ because they have video games, too" is not an apt comparison. Not only are those not characters with with a video game background that surpasses their other mediums in quantity (and at many points, quality), but they're not part of this conversation because Warner and EA haven't said anything about it.

And yes, before you distract yourself with a tangent about how Funimation doesn't own Goku, I'm wildly aware. But they are still in an official position that represents Goku in the west, giving their word more credence than mine or yours.

To summarize: We're discussing characters who have a long history of games and who were recommended in Smash by someone who represents them. Quit setting up strawmen.

You're still yet to disprove the long-standing stance by Sakurai that characters who originated outside of video games won't be in Smash. Until you do that, you have no argument.

"But this eleven year old statement!"

Yeah, a lot has changed since then. Conversely, would you care to present a statement from, at the very least, during 8th Gen?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Medisti said:
While it's true Sakurai could change his mind, an eleven year-old email response (which is not the only time this issue has been addressed, mind you) is more compelling evidence than someone's opinion about what makes someone qualify as a video game character. Superman and John Madden should be a lock for Smash next, then.

The evidence you showed is, that Sakurai doesn't limit the Smash roster to just videogame characters and 3rd parties who've appeard on a Nintendo system. If fans want Superman and or John Madden then they should vote for them and hope for the best.

ResilientFighter said:
love goku, but keeping him with namco exclusively is better.

How does this make it better? 

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Snoorlax said:

Oh really? according to you Terra, Cecil, Kefka or a Chocobo wouldn't qualify to appear in Smash 4 simply because they're not as popular as Cloud? Let me remind you that nobody here in the west asked for Cloud to be in Smash 4 it was Nintendo themselves that decided to throw him in there and many were against this. 

?!

I don't understand what you're getting at. I'm basically saying that only iconic video game characters are qualified for Smash from 3rd parties. So yes those 3 wouldn't get in just like Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog.

I already responded to that part: 

Snoorlax said:  Yeah we all thought that Smash only included videogame characters and 3rd parties that appeared on Nintendo consoles but then we got Rob and Cloud. BTW here are some points that you should reread.

That's the only part you're focusing on but i've already countered the 4 other points.

Is it video game or Nintendo characters? I swear you switched between the 2 at some point because I responded to the R.O.B bit you have saying that he's a Nintendo character.

That's the only part you're focusing on but i've already countered the 4 other points.

Fair enough, though it wasn't clear that that was what you were referring to.

lol well if thats the case nobody is forcing you to stick around here using your same old tired arguments.

I mean honestly i'm having fun here, so its whatever but it gets a little annoying at times seeing this thread. It's also starting to get repetitive though, you always go back to ROB and Cloud in most of your posts and that other guy always goes back to Goku's video game presence and I (and others) always go back to the fact that Goku isn't a video game character or what Sakurai has said. I think there might be a bit more to talk about and I hope someone takes us away from the usual.

Yeah, remember we are the ones with the strawman arguments lol! 

It's not a strawman if we're providing sources to things Sakurai has said himself and not just opinions.

What i'm getting at is that what you said is not true, Cloud is not the only iconic FF character qualified to join Smash. Terra could have easily made the game and would've been more appropriate since she was on a Nintendo platform. Sakurai ignored this and chose Cloud because he is indeed the most popular FF character out there so Sakurai just made him an exception but then again who remembered Ice Climbers?

I'm sure i've never switched on that part. Look, ROB is a Nintendo accessory, not a videogame character. But of course some people love to play dumb, come up with strawmen arguments and ignore the fact that we've got a Smash character that did not originate as a videogame character but as a toy. Just like the other guy said we've got the Super Scope, another Nintendo accessory, as an item in the game but somehow ROB got his own character slot... Why not then make a character slot for the Power Glove? I'm okay with ROB being a character, he's already there since Brawl, but then there's not reason to reject Goku for not originating as a videogame character. It makes no sense and it's hypocritical.

I've had quite a few laughs as well but like a said people just love to play dumb and ignore the other points i've made. It always goes back to Goku not being a videogame character so then i counter them with ROB and then they say it doesnt matter because...

exactly, and that's how it keeps going.

Medisti said:
Azuren said:

Oh cool, you weren't paying attention. I'm so surprised.

The point is no one in power related to Superman or Madden called for their characters in Smash, whether or not you perceive it as a joke. So when you hop in here saying "So we should add ____ and ____ because they have video games, too" is not an apt comparison. Not only are those not characters with with a video game background that surpasses their other mediums in quantity (and at many points, quality), but they're not part of this conversation because Warner and EA haven't said anything about it.

And yes, before you distract yourself with a tangent about how Funimation doesn't own Goku, I'm wildly aware. But they are still in an official position that represents Goku in the west, giving their word more credence than mine or yours.

To summarize: We're discussing characters who have a long history of games and who were recommended in Smash by someone who represents them. Quit setting up strawmen.

You're still yet to disprove the long-standing stance by Sakurai that characters who originated outside of video games won't be in Smash. Until you do that, you have no argument.

Yeah, you still haven't responded to my post where you flat out lied but i'll just say this...

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB.

Snoorlax said:

What i'm getting at is that what you said is not true, Cloud is not the only iconic FF character qualified to join Smash. Terra could have easily made the game and would've been more appropriate since she was on a Nintendo platform. Sakurai ignored this and chose Cloud because he is indeed the most popular FF character out there so Sakurai just made him an exception but then again who remembered Ice Climbers?

I personally don't know any Final Fantasy characters outside of Cloud and Chocobo and anyone i've talked to that has no idea about Final Fantasy can only name Cloud. I know thats anecdotal, but if it was gonna be any Final Fantasy character it would've had to have been the most well known.

I'm sure i've never switched on that part. Look, ROB is a Nintendo accessory, not a videogame character. But of course some people love to play dumb, come up with strawmen arguments and ignore the fact that we've got a Smash character that did not originate as a videogame character but as a toy. Just like the other guy said we've got the Super Scope, another Nintendo accessory, as an item in the game but somehow ROB got his own character slot... Why not then make a character slot for the Power Glove? I'm okay with ROB being a character, he's already there since Brawl, but then there's not reason to reject Goku for not originating as a videogame character. It makes no sense and it's hypocritical.

Because unlike the Power Glove ROB's a character. It's a toy thats a character like GI Joe. A better example would be Non-Specific Action figure, the E3 2012 (or 11?) meme from Nintendo. That was a toy that was also a character, comparing them to the Power Glove or a Rumble Pak doesn't work because those aren't characters. Nintendo has also treated ROB as a character with various cameo's and being an unlockable character in Mario Kart DS and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Edit: Perhaps people used poor choice of words and it lead to some confusion. Its more than Goku not being a video game character. Goku didn't originate from video games, but ROB did since he's a video game accessory. It's okay for him to be in because he's deeply rooted to video games and Nintendo, we didn't want him, but it's forgivable due to his roots. Goku did not originate from video games and is not Nintendo related, thats why we reject him.

Medisti said: 

Yeah, you still haven't responded to my post where you flat out lied but i'll just say this...

I think you misunderstood him. 

ROB is a video game accessory, which means he originated from video games.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 01 April 2018

I love Goku but I don’t want him for Smash. I’d much rather have him in a game like a Shonen Jump All-Stars or a more fighting-centric game (as opposed to Smash, which I consider a brawler).

However, I wouldn’t be unhappy with Goku’s inclusion. He’s one of my all-time favorite characters.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Snoorlax said:

I personally don't know any Final Fantasy characters outside of Cloud and Chocobo and anyone i've talked to that has no idea about Final Fantasy can only name Cloud. I know thats anecdotal, but if it was gonna be any Final Fantasy character it would've had to have been the most well known.

I'm sure i've never switched on that part. Look, ROB is a Nintendo accessory, not a videogame character. But of course some people love to play dumb, come up with strawmen arguments and ignore the fact that we've got a Smash character that did not originate as a videogame character but as a toy. Just like the other guy said we've got the Super Scope, another Nintendo accessory, as an item in the game but somehow ROB got his own character slot... Why not then make a character slot for the Power Glove? I'm okay with ROB being a character, he's already there since Brawl, but then there's not reason to reject Goku for not originating as a videogame character. It makes no sense and it's hypocritical.

Because unlike the Power Glove ROB's a character. It's a toy thats a character like GI Joe. A better example would be Non-Specific Action figure, the E3 2012 (or 11?) meme from Nintendo. That was a toy that was also a character, comparing them to the Power Glove or a Rumble Pak doesn't work because those aren't characters. Nintendo has also treated ROB as a character with various cameo's and being an unlockable character in Mario Kart DS and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Edit: Perhaps people used poor choice of words and it lead to some confusion. Its more than Goku not being a video game character. Goku didn't originate from video games, but ROB did since he's a video game accessory. It's okay for him to be in because he's deeply rooted to video games and Nintendo, we didn't want him, but it's forgivable due to his roots. Goku did not originate from video games and is not Nintendo related, thats why we reject him.

I think you misunderstood him. 

ROB is a video game accessory, which means he originated from video games.

Yes, i can tell. Anyways FF has enough characters that could make the game based on popularity because like i said who the hell remembered Ice Climbers? Who the hell is Pokemon Trainer? Yeah Terra would definitely ring more bells than those two.

Yes he was packaged with Gyromite but he's an accessory not a video game characer.

The Rumble Pak was packaged with Star Fox 64 but it's an accessory not a videogame character.

Ulternia said:
I love Goku but I don’t want him for Smash. I’d much rather have him in a game like a Shonen Jump All-Stars or a more fighting-centric game (as opposed to Smash, which I consider a brawler).

However, I wouldn’t be unhappy with Goku’s inclusion. He’s one of my all-time favorite characters.

I love Goku and I want him for Smash 5.

Around the Network
Ulternia said:

Yeah, there are other all-star games that make more sense, actually he is in J-Star Victory VS.

Goku 4 Smash

I don’t think that guy that keeps mentioning Rob is aware he is from the NES and made by Nintendo.

Either that, or he just really likes posting pictures of Rob and mentioning it for no discernible reason.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

VGPolyglot said:
Ulternia said:

Yeah, there are other all-star games that make more sense, actually he is in J-Star Victory VS.

The problem with this argument is that

- Shonen Jump/ J-Star all star games are mostly Japan exclusive.

- Jump all star are mediocre games

- Practically no one cares about these games over here in the west unlike Smash.

It would be a huge waste to not have Goku in Smash since he's well known and beloved worldwide and he fits in the game.

DAXFM said:
Goku 4 Smash

4 Smash!!

Although I love Dragon Ball, I wouldn't want him in Smash.

Even if we'd consider him a videogame character, he wouldn't be so important as a videogame character as other 3rd party characters.