By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 34bigthings concidering legal actions against Digital Foundry after bad analysis

caffeinade said:
DonFerrari said:

I haven't said that because they are Indie they are bad. I said (and there isn't still any case otherwise) that graphical performance is lesser than AAA, because in fact you need a lot of manpower to put great graphics.

And I haven't seem any complexity, pretty, polish or what else on the game... no problem you love it, but doesn't seem to have any reason to justify running at sub 60fps on X1X when doing basically 1080p and eventually rising to 81% of 4k.

Have you played the game?
The complexities of the game do not show up in video.
Compression really hates fast moving titles like Redout.
And to make all that worse, the game sort of requires a temporal component to look pretty.

The game is on sale on Steam right now, 50% off.

Anyway a fantastic example to what I was talking about before is Portal.
The first Portal was created by about ten people at Valve in about 2.5 years.
Now, the game isn't demanding, but it can be.
With a slight adjustment to Portal's game design it can destroy even the most powerful of computers.

Due to the way the game renders portals, and the way pretty much any engine would have to (now there are examples where you could fake it, or do some other tricks, or use a different type or render engine, but that is beyond the point) the game can be super taxing.
Portal's portals are perhaps the prettiest things I have seen in a game to date.
Go look up how they work.

You don't need to put in thousands of hours (into the development of new technologies and such) to make a title, that is both optimised and demanding, if you know what you are doing.
Faking effects does take a lot of effort and research however.

Nope I have no interest in buying the game. And if the trailer for the game is underwhelming and doesn't present the complexity and prettiness of the game when it is supposed to select the best parts I'm not that excited to see it for real.

On how a game can be taxing, you could make a game look and play like atari and kill all performance on a Titan if you want, that is bad coding, so when I say there is no reason for a game like this to struggle to achieve 4k60fps is because I can't see anything technically advanced or demanding. And from your answer you also don't know but think it could have

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:
note to self never buy anything from 34big things.

Now time to look up what they make and see what rubbish I'll be missing out on because they want to sue over getting an angry tweet, fuck sake.

What's wrong with suing over false facts presented to potential customers resulting in a potential loss of income?

But redout is a good game.

I don't think they'll go ahead with the law suit but it's understandable to be angry when someone trashes your hard work based on entirely false information.

DF made an error, fixed it and pulled the wrong video. Errors are made everywhere, for instance in 34bigthings, because the game still has issues on XBO. The big problem here is the idiots on the internet have made big thing out of it. Sue Twitter if you wanna sue anyone 34bigthings.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Vincoletto said:
Dgc1808 said:

I don't see a problem with the bolded. Not familiar with what goes on on reddit.

So if I upload a video on youtube saying I think game x sucks, and this opinion is based on my error on a bad judgment from me, I should be sued????

If the publisher has good reason to believes that your error could have made a significant negative impact on their sales then yes. That would depend on how large and influential of a youtuber you are, and digital foundry is pretty big.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Vincoletto said:

So if I upload a video on youtube saying I think game x sucks, and this opinion is based on my error on a bad judgment from me, I should be sued????

If the publisher has good reason to believes that your error could have made a significant negative impact on their sales then yes. That would depend on how large and influential of a youtuber you are, and digital foundry is pretty big.

Absolutely not.  If it's just someone's opinion, it doesn't matter what it does to sales, it's still protected speech.  If it's done maliciously and is false, then yes, it was intentional and done specifically to hurt the publisher.  It does not matter how big the publisher is, the motivation is what matters.

noagenda said:
Dgc1808 said:

Absolutely not.  If it's just someone's opinion, it doesn't matter what it does to sales, it's still protected speech.  If it's done maliciously and is false, then yes, it was intentional and done specifically to hurt the publisher.  It does not matter how big the publisher is, the motivation is what matters.

Makes sense. But considering what you said, why could digitalfoundry be sued?

Just because they are pretty big? Just trying to understand...