By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 34bigthings concidering legal actions against Digital Foundry after bad analysis

OTBWY said:
This was bound to happen since this is their method of determining resolutions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-P3gH7Dg

Not saying it's a wrong method, just that it leaves a large door open for error.

I personally love/hate Digital Foundry. They sometimes make me excited for games, but on the other hand it also reduces games to numbers and is very much so used as ammo for playground console wars.

Personally I own multiple consoles and altough we all have preferences I never go into hate but yes I also have a love/hate for digital foundry. Originally I purchased my PS4 over the Xbox One because of their analysis and I got the Xbox one X over the PS4 Pro for the same reason, I want the best hardware personally. This shows they do sway costumers one way or the other.

Recently however I feel like they are genuinely making it a XX vs XX instead of what they used to do what was really point out the good things instead of bashing game developers and/or hardware limitations. They should really stay on focus and remove the judgemental finger they have used in some of their more recent video's.

We want the facts, show is the good things and let people make up their own mind instead of saying XX is lazy or terrible is what I am saying. 

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
malistix1985 said:
caffeinade said:
I like this thread.
Please do more reporting.

Thanks, I think it was a nice thing to point out because of the power these youtube channels have and the effect it can have when they do a bad job. Its funny how they said multiple times in the video the developer was being lazy when in fact it was them doing the terrible job.

I am more talking about the quality of the thread.
Everything is decently formatted.
Quotes are obvious, and marked as such.
There is original content, that adds value to the reader.

Overall I think you have done a pretty good job.
People should strive to hit at least, this level of quality in their threads.

Anyway, I will add more to this thread latter: I am a bit busy right now.

DF are getting the cancer of the industry anyway, as informative as they may be. People should really go back to enjoying their games.

Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:
note to self never buy anything from 34big things.

Now time to look up what they make and see what rubbish I'll be missing out on because they want to sue over getting an angry tweet, fuck sake.

What's wrong with suing over false facts presented to potential customers resulting in a potential loss of income?

But redout is a good game.

I don't think they'll go ahead with the law suit but it's understandable to be angry when someone trashes your hard work based on entirely false information.

Digital foundry have multiple videos showing how they do their work and how there are imperfections with various aspects of it, especially when something like a resolution scaler is in place, as 34big things say their scale does bring the game down to "the lower one of 1920×1080" you know, that's 1080p so for periods of the analysis they can stop, take a frame and it will be exactly 1080p.

If a game is 4k on a menu or when nothing is happening but 1080p as soon as action begins then it's not the analyses fault to say that where they looked at the game it was 1080p, because it is, and crying legal action because a self professed flawed youtube channel talked badly about your game is fucking pathetic simple as that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Barkley said:

What's wrong with suing over false facts presented to potential customers resulting in a potential loss of income?

I don't think they'll go ahead with the law suit but it's understandable to be angry when someone trashes your hard work based on entirely false information.

Digital foundry have multiple videos showing how they do their work and how there are imperfections with various aspects of it, especially when something like a resolution scaler is in place, as 34big things say their scale does bring the game down to "the lower one of 1920×1080" you know, that's 1080p so for periods of the analysis they can stop, take a frame and it will be exactly 1080p.

If a game is 4k on a menu or when nothing is happening but 1080p as soon as action begins then it's not the analyses fault to say that where they looked at the game it was 1080p, because it is, and crying legal action because a self professed flawed youtube channel talked badly about your game is fucking pathetic simple as that.

Yes it is the analyses fault which is why Digital Foundry issued an apology. "First of all, apologies to 34BigThings for the flak attracted by our article - we updated it once additional data from VGTech came in, which demonstrated that an error had been made".

And no I don't think considering legal action against a major news site that's presented false facts that could damage your business is "fucking pathetic".

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yes it is the analyses fault which is why Digital Foundry issued an apology. "First of all, apologies to 34BigThings for the flak attracted by our article - we updated it once additional data from VGTech came in, which demonstrated that an error had been made".

And no I don't think considering legal action against a major news site that's presented false facts that could damage your business is "fucking pathetic".

Major News site? Digital foundry? you mean a youtube channel who's entire wikipedia entry is a single line on the Eurogamer page?

But back in the real world they're a youtube channel with a half a million subs that some people (a tiny minority of people, I would wager in the 4 figure mark) mistake to be a major news site, which I think is where this problem really comes from.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Barkley said:

Major News site? Digital foundry? you mean a youtube channel who's entire wikipedia entry is a single line on the Eurogamer page?

But back in the real world they're a youtube channel with a half a million subs that some people (a tiny minority of people, I would wager in the 4 figure mark) mistake to be a major news site, which I think is where this problem really comes from.

All of digital foundry's work is posted to eurogamer, which is a major news site. Here it is posted on eurogamer. Heck it's on the front-page of eurogamer right now.

Cut the attitude while you're at it.

DF didn't call they incompetent or lazy did they? And the scale admited by them go to 1080p... so they should receive a bad litigation counter sue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:
note to self never buy anything from 34big things.

Now time to look up what they make and see what rubbish I'll be missing out on because they want to sue over getting an angry tweet, fuck sake.

So should potential buyers sue 34 Big Things because the box doesn't say how much time the game is sub 4k?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:

All of digital foundry's work is posted to eurogamer, which is a major news site. Here it is posted on eurogamer. Heck it's on the front-page of eurogamer right now.

Cut the attitude while you're at it.

What attitude and who are you to say the attitude of others on this site?

I'm telling you, digital foundry the "major news site" you are talking about doesn't even have its own stand alone wiki entry, as I said, they're a throwaway line on Eurogamers page there, if you want you can go write one up for them because no one else has bothered to write one up for a youtube site with 500k subs, much like the majority of youtube channels with that figure of subs.

If it annoys you that a analysis youtube group you watch isn't considered as major as Fox News because it appeals to a tiny number of people who enjoy counting pixels that's on you, nothing to do with my attitude.