By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 34bigthings concidering legal actions against Digital Foundry after bad analysis

Looks like the developer from Redout is angry at the bad analysis from Digital Foundry, the Xbox one X version scaled up to 90% of native 4k, where the ps4 pro version runs at a native 1080p, because of the resolution difference the framerate is unstable on the Xbox platform and the developer is looking in to this issue.

Originally however Digital foundry stated the Xbox version also ran on a native 1080p and they missed the resolution scaling, this made people sent angry tweets to the developer from the xbox fanbase and it got playstation fanboys to use the news to put a negative spin to the xbox platform. Overall the developer got in the middle of a "console poo slinging fest" and is condidering legal action against digital foundry.

Here are some quotes from the developer statement:

"Nicest part of a cloudy saturday morning? Waking up to a shitstorm raging upon you, based on what we can call incompetent technical analysis at best, fake news at worst."

"framerate and resolution, mentioning over and over that Redout shows a 1080p rendering for the Xbox One X version. This is a pure, straight lie. The Xbox One X got an enhancement update a couple of weeks ago which brings 4k rendering with dynamic resolution scaling to everyone (owners or not of 4k TV). More specifically, we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080"

"We are currently looking into various ways to defend our public image. Not only because we dislike being called lazy or incompetent gratuitously, but also to send a message to the players and the industry. Gamedevs (indies especially) are amongst the most hard working people, to the point that burnout and crunch culture in game development are widespread. Really, just stop calling them lazy to the first hiccup. And don’t fabricate excuses for calling them lazy. Ok? Thank you."

full statement here --> http://34bigthings.com/an-official-response-to-digital-foundry-analysis-of-redout-on-xbox-one-x/?utm_content=bufferdb993&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

I like this thread.
Please do more reporting.

UPDATE: Developer 34BigThings has responded to our analysis of Redout, taking issue with our findings - specifically the 1080p rendering resolution of the Xbox One X version. "We managed to scale the resolution between 90 per cent and 50 per cent of native 4K, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456x1944 to the lower one of 1920x1080," CEO Valerio Di Donato says. "More technical details on this will follow in the next days, when everybody will be back from holiday vacations but meanwhile let us spell it out: it's not 1080p."

First of all, apologies to 34BigThings for the flak attracted by our article - we updated it once additional data from VGTech came in, which demonstrated that an error had been made, and have since pulled the video which is not so easily updated. We will revisit the game and post a new version as soon as we can. However, it is still clear that Redout has issues on Xbox One X that aren't anything like as pronounced as the smoother PS4 Pro version, and the developer says they will work on improving them.

"As many users reported, there are still some frame-rate hiccups where the game can't keep the 60fps pace and significantly drops below the 45+ threshold, which is something we are aware and very sorry of," Di Donato continues. "This happens more frequently where many AI opponents are factored in, while it's close to nonexistent on time attacks, solo races and races with few opponents. We are aware of these issues and we'll keep working on those as long as possible.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-redout-on-xbox-one-x-beaten-by-ps4-pro

So now it is possible to also sue youtube channels because of a wrong analysis? Will someday be possible to sue a channel if they for example say " game x sucks because the weapons does not have aim assist" when in fact they had?
Will they also be able to sue reddit users that sometimes runs huge data analysys in case they are wrong? There must be a limit to those things.

Vincoletto said:
So now it is possible to also sue youtube channels because of a wrong analysis? Will someday be possible to sue a channel if they for example say " game x sucks because the weapons does not have aim assist" when in fact they had?
Will they also be able to sue reddit users that sometimes runs huge data analysys in case they are wrong? There must be a limit to those things.

Legal actions against a large commercial reviewer that presents false facts that are damaging to your product/image and thus income. Seems fine to me.

Don't think it's worth bothering with though now it's been taken down.

Around the Network

Here is a good solution for the future.

If you can't understand why a game is performing badly on the target hardware despite the extra power (as they have stated multiple times in the video), it might be a good idea to contact the developer with your findings in search for an answer before stating your conclusions. That would ensure both your technical and investigative integrity.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

caffeinade said:
I like this thread.
Please do more reporting.

Thanks, I think it was a nice thing to point out because of the power these youtube channels have and the effect it can have when they do a bad job. Its funny how they said multiple times in the video the developer was being lazy when in fact it was them doing the terrible job.

Vincoletto said:

I think when someone uses fake facts to sway thousands of potential buyers you should be able to do something about it.

Musouka said:
Here is a good solution for the future.

If you can't understand why a game is performing badly on the target hardware despite the extra power (as they have stated multiple times in the video), it might be a good idea to contact the developer with your findings in search for an answer before stating your conclusions. That would ensure both your technical and investigative integrity.

I think this is the ideal outcome because not only will it give the true facts but when there is really a problem the developer will also be aware of this and gets a chance to respont, for excample that they will work on the issue or any other feedback, it would give the complete picture.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

This was bound to happen since this is their method of determining resolutions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-P3gH7Dg

Not saying it's a wrong method, just that it leaves a large door open for error.

I personally love/hate Digital Foundry. They sometimes make me excited for games, but on the other hand it also reduces games to numbers and is very much so used as ammo for playground console wars.

note to self never buy anything from 34big things.

Now time to look up what they make and see what rubbish I'll be missing out on because they want to sue over getting an angry tweet, fuck sake.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
note to self never buy anything from 34big things.

Now time to look up what they make and see what rubbish I'll be missing out on because they want to sue over getting an angry tweet, fuck sake.

What's wrong with suing over false facts presented to potential customers resulting in a potential loss of income?

But redout is a good game.

I don't think they'll go ahead with the law suit but it's understandable to be angry when someone trashes your hard work based on entirely false information.