By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 34bigthings concidering legal actions against Digital Foundry after bad analysis

Vincoletto said:
So now it is possible to also sue youtube channels because of a wrong analysis? Will someday be possible to sue a channel if they for example say " game x sucks because the weapons does not have aim assist" when in fact they had?
Will they also be able to sue reddit users that sometimes runs huge data analysys in case they are wrong? There must be a limit to those things.

Nobody is suing anyone.
34BigThings is trying to protect themselves and their employees by issuing a corporate level threat to DigitalFoundry.
Think of it like a parent threatening to not buy their screaming toddler sweets.

Ganoncrotch said:
Barkley said:

What's wrong with suing over false facts presented to potential customers resulting in a potential loss of income?

But redout is a good game.

I don't think they'll go ahead with the law suit but it's understandable to be angry when someone trashes your hard work based on entirely false information.

Digital foundry have multiple videos showing how they do their work and how there are imperfections with various aspects of it, especially when something like a resolution scaler is in place, as 34big things say their scale does bring the game down to "the lower one of 1920×1080" you know, that's 1080p so for periods of the analysis they can stop, take a frame and it will be exactly 1080p.

If a game is 4k on a menu or when nothing is happening but 1080p as soon as action begins then it's not the analyses fault to say that where they looked at the game it was 1080p, because it is, and crying legal action because a self professed flawed youtube channel talked badly about your game is fucking pathetic simple as that.

DigitalFoundry attempts to position themselves as an outlet who delivers absolute facts.
Through hard work and commitment, DF has by now become the defacto single source of video game technical analysis.

It is often the case where the public's perception of a product: can be more important than the factual truth.
With video games, and with resolution especially (something most consumers seem to struggle to be able to accurately quantify): the public perception can become the effective truth.

Think of it like a dictionary:
If enough people start to believe and enforce a definition of a given word, then the dictionary becomes out-of-date.
If we all said tomorrow, that the word "orange" defined a ball of nails: the world's dictionaries would need to be modified to reflect this new reality.

Back to resolution:
Being something that is not easily quantifiable by the average consumer, it is subject to a similar kind of distortion.
DigitalFoundry is the defacto sole source for a console game's rendering resolution, meaning: if left unchecked they can effectively alter the public's reality.

Now that all sounds more or less like crazy talk, and yeah.
But whatever.

What is important to keep in mind is:
DigitalFoundry holds a special position as a truth teller.
People don't really have the ability to definitively quantify a game's pixel count (though I still maintain my position that resolution does matter).
DigitalFoundry can: either accidentally, or purposely write or overwrite a consumer's perception of a title's rendering resolution.
Mass perception is effectively the same thing, as a physical truth.

Taken all I have just written, and the events that has transpired.
34BigThings, threatening to sue DF: is in essence, what we need.
We need something to keep the balance between perception and reality, else we lose sight of it.

Given that, 34BigThings has little choice but to take drastic action, else: their product, their reputation, their livelihood and the livelihoods of their employees.
Are all at risk.

Ganoncrotch said:
Errorist76 said:

Are you seriously measuring the importance or respect a site gets from a Wikipedia (above all) entry?!

DF are very respected and yes, the major entity/site on the net doing tech comparisons for games, if you like it or not.

Use the Alexa rating of them so, they come in around the 340,000th rank

to put that in perspective

Fox news is at 260

Vgchartz is at 18k

aye, the Major News site is less important than this website by a factor of 17 in the metric of importance of Alexa ranking, the system used to measure website traffic and visitors.

Guess we better start to actually proof read the articles on the front page here, since we're 17x more popular than a Major News site!

Don't worry we are not a major news outlet.
Our newspaper sales are pathetic.
We barely sell any copies.

You are arguing that DigitalFoundry is not a major news site because they don't have a high Alexa rating.
That is a very short sighted approach.

DigitalFoundry is a part of Eurogamer who, if we go by Alexa ratings is a one the world's top websites.
Global Rank: 1,953
US Rank: 1,146
https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/eurogamer.net

DigitalFoundry, even if they are not a major news outlet themselves, are a branch of the largest gaming news sites around.
Hell, they are a branch of one of the largest sites around.
If we go by Alexa rankings.

Now, I threw out the post, but you brought up a comparison between DigitalFoundry and ReviewTechUSA.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC__Oy3QdB3d9_FHO_XG1PZg
Listening to some videos whilst writing this, and wow.
Man, you are making it hard to avoid insulting you.

I am not going to debate you on DigitalFoundry vs ReviewTechUSA, but I am sure my position is clear, [insult goes here].

DigitalFoundry is a respected outlet who is both: respected and quoted, by other, larger, outlets.
Fact.
But again, I am not going to debate you, so I am not going to present evidence, [insult goes here].

Intrinsic said:
And the real lesson here?

Resolution isn't as obvious as some would have you believe. In some cases, we only think something looks better just because they tell us its running at a higher rez.

If we did blind tests with certain games running at 4k native, 4k checkerboard, 1440p with really good AA, and then with 1800p upscaled to 4k...... I am sure the results will be very interesting.

Redout: from my experience a game that makes use the GPU to create a highly complicated image, for a video game.
It mixes a low poly art style, with GPU busting effects.

Redout has a lot of post processing effects that obscure edges, at least: on max setting, on PC.

DonFerrari said:
Barkley said:

The reason for the flack is Eurogamer said it ran at 1080p on XBX and a lower frame rate than the PS4 Pro. So people were upset the XBOX version of the game apparently ran much worse than the PS4 Pro version.

In reality the XBO X version (free update btw) that was released 2 weeks ago features a dynamic resolution ranging from 1080p to 1944p.

Unknown game is harsh considering it's sold around 120k units on Steam, not bad for an indie game with a $40 price tag.

Digital Foundry made a mistake, a mistake that affected 34bigthings negatively. Now they're angry about that and people such as yourself are taking this as an opportunity to trash the developer even more. I don't understand it tbh. Can only feel sorry for them.

Considering the type of graphics indies push, 4k without any framedrop would be expectable on X1X... so this seems much more the dev trying to defending their shortcomings (not lazyness)

That isn't a very healthy attitude to have.
Just because the title and studio is indie, does not necessarily mean that they are any less capable.
Or has less access to the machine's power.

An indie dev, assuming they know what they are doing could create a scene with a single, simple, object in it.
They could have that scene render at 1080p on the XxX, and still be using the device's full power.
Games today are graphically, very simple.

Looking at the title objectively: Uncharted 4, a game which I have seen been called"next gen", is graphically and visually simple.
Now, that isn't to say it looks bad, Naughty Dog's artists slaved over that game, and it shows.
UC4 looks great because of visual polish, rather than actual graphical complexity (you can only make a game so complex on such weak hardware).
And, I guess I should add that UC4 does have some nice graphical features too (for the current generation), but that is beyond the point.

Redout's visuals are pretty complex (but not incredible), if you look past the low-ploy artstyle.
In short I believe the XxX is more or less being used within 80% of its max.
Sure the developers could probably optimise the code a bit, but the title does look to be pushing hardware pretty hard.

SvennoJ said:

Why trust a developer that can't even do basic math:

we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080

That's scaling between 81% to 25% of native 4K.... And then it still drops to 45fps after cutting the resolution to 25% of the target? Then blame someone else for being incompetent? Funny.

No, sorry.
A 50% scale of 4k is 1080p.
You need to scale by 50% on both the x and y axes.

1080p has a fourth of the pixels, but it is a 50% scale.
According to pretty much all game engines at the very least.

https://image.ibb.co/mS8Qrb/Redout_Screenshot_2018.png
The game at max settings, on PC.
4k90 - 4k100
Using a GTX 1080Ti.

Redout is pretty neat, but it is no F-Zero.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 07 January 2018

Around the Network

Anyone can sue anyone, but the real question is can they win? 

In this case, no, 34bigthings cannot.  To win, they would need to prove that DF had malice when they published the review.  Without malice you can not sue a publication for their mistake.  DF only needs to retract the story once they become aware of the false information; which they have done.

I do have mixed feelings with DF as well, what they give is pretty insightful but at the same time, it seems like performance is the end all for games a lot of times. Everyone makes mistakes but for people to get aggressive to this point is a bit disappointing

Just another day on the internet

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

caffeinade said:
Vincoletto said:
So now it is possible to also sue youtube channels because of a wrong analysis? Will someday be possible to sue a channel if they for example say " game x sucks because the weapons does not have aim assist" when in fact they had?
Will they also be able to sue reddit users that sometimes runs huge data analysys in case they are wrong? There must be a limit to those things.

Nobody is suing anyone.
34BigThings is trying to protect themselves and their employees by issuing a corporate level threat to DigitalFoundry.
Think of it like a parent threatening to not buy their screaming toddler sweets.

Ganoncrotch said:

Digital foundry have multiple videos showing how they do their work and how there are imperfections with various aspects of it, especially when something like a resolution scaler is in place, as 34big things say their scale does bring the game down to "the lower one of 1920×1080" you know, that's 1080p so for periods of the analysis they can stop, take a frame and it will be exactly 1080p.

If a game is 4k on a menu or when nothing is happening but 1080p as soon as action begins then it's not the analyses fault to say that where they looked at the game it was 1080p, because it is, and crying legal action because a self professed flawed youtube channel talked badly about your game is fucking pathetic simple as that.

DigitalFoundry attempts to position themselves as an outlet who delivers absolute facts.
Through hard work and commitment, DF has by now become the defacto single source of video game technical analysis.

It is often the case where the public's perception of a product: can be more important than the factual truth.
With video games, and with resolution especially (something most consumers seem to struggle to be able to accurately quantify): the public perception can become the effective truth.

If enough people start to believe and enforce a definition of a given word, then the dictionary becomes out-of-date.
If we all said tomorrow, that the word "orange" defined a ball of nails: the world's dictionaries would need to be modified to reflect this new reality.

Back to resolution:
Being something that is not easily quantifiable by the average consumer, it is subject to a similar kind of distortion.
DigitalFoundry is the defacto sole source for a console game's rendering resolution, meaning: if left unchecked they can effectively alter the public's reality.

But whatever.

People don't really have the ability to definitively quantify a game's pixel count (though I still maintain my position that resolution does matter).
DigitalFoundry can: either accidentally, or purposely write or overwrite a consumer's perception of a title's rendering resolution.

We need something to keep the balance between perception and reality, else we lose sight of it.

Given that, 34BigThings has little choice but to take drastic action, else: their product, their reputation, their livelihood and the livelihoods of their employees.
Are all at risk.

Ganoncrotch said:

Fox news is at 260

Vgchartz is at 18k

aye, the Major News site is less important than this website by a factor of 17 in the metric of importance of Alexa ranking, the system used to measure website traffic and visitors.

Guess we better start to actually proof read the articles on the front page here, since we're 17x more popular than a Major News site!

You are arguing that DigitalFoundry is not a major news site because they don't have a high Alexa rating.

DigitalFoundry is a part of Eurogamer who, if we go by Alexa ratings is a one the world's top websites.

DigitalFoundry, even if they are not a major news outlet themselves, are a branch of the largest gaming news sites around.

Now, I threw out the post, but you brought up a comparison between DigitalFoundry and ReviewTechUSA.

I am not going to debate you on DigitalFoundry vs ReviewTechUSA, but I am sure my position is clear, .

DigitalFoundry is a respected outlet who is both: respected and quoted, by other, larger, outlets.
Fact.
But again, I am not going to debate you, so I am not going to present evidence, .

Intrinsic said:

Resolution isn't as obvious as some would have you believe. In some cases, we only think something looks better just because they tell us its running at a higher rez.

If we did blind tests with certain games running at 4k native, 4k checkerboard, 1440p with really good AA, and then with 1800p upscaled to 4k...... I am sure the results will be very interesting.

Redout: from my experience a game that makes use the GPU to create a highly complicated image, for a video game.

Redout has a lot of post processing effects that obscure edges, at least: on max setting, on PC.

DonFerrari said:

Considering the type of graphics indies push, 4k without any framedrop would be expectable on X1X... so this seems much more the dev trying to defending their shortcomings (not lazyness)

Just because the title and studio is indie, does not necessarily mean that they are any less capable.

An indie dev, assuming they know what they are doing could create a scene with a single, simple, object in it.
They could have that scene render at 1080p on the XxX, and still be using the device's full power.

Looking at the title objectively: Uncharted 4, a game which I have seen been called"next gen", is graphically and visually simple.
Now, that isn't to say it looks bad, Naughty Dog's artists slaved over that game, and it shows.
UC4 looks great because of visual polish, rather than actual graphical complexity (you can only make a game so complex on such weak hardware).
And, I guess I should add that UC4 does have some nice graphical features too (for the current generation), but that is beyond the point.

Redout's visuals are pretty complex (but not incredible), if you look past the low-ploy artstyle.
Sure the developers could probably optimise the code a bit, but the title does look to be pushing hardware pretty hard.

SvennoJ said:

we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080

That's scaling between 81% to 25% of native 4K.... And then it still drops to 45fps after cutting the resolution to 25% of the target? Then blame someone else for being incompetent? Funny.

No, sorry.

4k90 - 4k100
Using a GTX 1080Ti.

You still cannot grasp the fact that it doesn't matter how terrible ReviewtechUSA's videos are, the guy has on the platform where digital foundry is most active, more users watching his content and following his stuff.

I couldn't give a rats if you feel you want to insult me because the youtube channel you like has 100k less subs than a clickbait POS channel on there, you don't want to debate me, fine stick to your feelings about how important the channel is then.

The numbers about it can't be argued, and the fact that it has a parent/related site in Eurogamer who are popular is not unlike saying Corey in the House has the same reach as Star Wars because both are owned and featured by Disney.

Again like I said, pixel counting group that is linked in list threads for console wars stuff... is as Niche as it gets, if you can't see that you need to maybe take a walk to somewhere like gamestop and ask customers there if they are buying copies of Fifa because Rich from DF told them the grass had a higher resolution on the platform their buying it... or if they're buying it because it's Fifa and they own the system they're buying it on.

What digital foundry offers is basically a channel which is there to help people who buy expensive hardware feel that it was a good purchase, by sitting and watching a 400% zoomed image of a still from the games they're not playing... because they're too busy checking online that their purchase is validated by a youtube channel.

A few of their PC videos have somewhat useful breakdowns of components and benchmarks, but there are far better and more dedicated channels to provide more standardized benchmark scores for hardware than DF normally tend to offer which is normally just a average fps count from a game they're using.

A takeaway from this though, don't think that I'm suggesting that ReviewtechUSA gives good content worth watching, dear lord I think he and his channel are some of the worst things on the internet, I'm using it as a comparison to show that while Digital foundry put in a ton more effort into their content, it doesn't have the same reach as a clickbait trolls channel.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

caffeinade said:
SvennoJ said:

No, sorry.

4k90 - 4k100
Using a GTX 1080Ti.

That makes more sense talking about scaling. However if it looks like that picture with that heavy motion blur, I can't tell either if it's 4K or 480p. Why bother rendering it at 3456×1944 if you're going to smear everything out like that :) I guess you can tell by the dithering or whatever the dot patterns are from when you look up close. They definitely should have prioritized fps.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Vincoletto said:

I don't see a problem with the bolded. Not familiar with what goes on on reddit.

So if I upload a video on youtube saying I think game x sucks, and this opinion is based on my error on a bad judgment from me, I should be sued????

noagenda said:

Anyone can sue anyone, but the real question is can they win? 

In this case, no, 34bigthings cannot.  To win, they would need to prove that DF had malice when they published the review.  Without malice you can not sue a publication for their mistake.  DF only needs to retract the story once they become aware of the false information; which they have done.

If this is true then Im ok with it.

I think DF definetely owns a public apology, but not being sued for a mistake in their analysis. As well as for anyone stating public opinions in the internet.

SvennoJ said:
caffeinade said:

No, sorry.

4k90 - 4k100
Using a GTX 1080Ti.

That makes more sense talking about scaling. However if it looks like that picture with that heavy motion blur, I can't tell either if it's 4K or 480p. Why bother rendering it at 3456×1944 if you're going to smear everything out like that :) I guess you can tell by the dithering or whatever the dot patterns are from when you look up close. They definitely should have prioritized fps.

I was going decently fast at the time.
When going slower, you get to see more detail.

I can imagine that this scene would be at 1080p on the XxX, and when I hit 110+ FPS the XxX would probably be at around 3456×1944.
It is worth keeping in mind, this was one track, and one race I am basing this data on.
I would rather play this game in VR (which it supports, and it is pretty good), than at 4k.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's just keep at one dimension, use the most favourable numbers

Indeed :)

Anyway all this begs the question, what's the benefit of going to 81% (or 90%) of 4K if even DF didn't notice the difference after all those years staring at pixels on screens.

Yes, they probably had a good teacher =p

Johnw1104 said:
Barkley said:

Legal actions against a large commercial reviewer that presents false facts that are damaging to your product/image and thus income. Seems fine to me.

Don't think it's worth bothering with though now it's been taken down.

What Barkley said. Hopefully this is a lesson to Digital Foundry who have pretty much become the standard for technical analysis of games; it is their responsibility to show great due diligence when reporting on these games, as they really can influence perceptions and sales.

I hope now that they've pulled it both sides drop the issue, as I'm pretty sure most people who care about this sort of thing have since learned of the error. If this has hurt anyone at this point, it's likely the trust viewers have in Digital Foundry.

I still love the channel though, and I imagine going forward they'll be even more prudent about avoiding editorializing in favor of accurate technical analysis.

They doing due diligence is different than checking every single frame of the game. If the devs haven't been clear on release what was the output and worse in this case it is dynamic with a very big window (25% to 81% of 4k) it's quite possible that it hovers more on the 25% than on th 81% so even with due diligence the mistake could happen.

caffeinade said:
Vincoletto said:

Nobody is suing anyone.

Ganoncrotch said:

Back to resolution:

But whatever.

Are all at risk.

Ganoncrotch said:

Fox news is at 260

Vgchartz is at 18k

I am not going to debate you on DigitalFoundry vs ReviewTechUSA, but I am sure my position is clear, [insult goes here].

Fact.
But again, I am not going to debate you, so I am not going to present evidence, [insult goes here].

Intrinsic said:

DonFerrari said:

SvennoJ said:

No, sorry.

4k90 - 4k100
Using a GTX 1080Ti.

I haven't said that because they are Indie they are bad. I said (and there isn't still any case otherwise) that graphical performance is lesser than AAA, because in fact you need a lot of manpower to put great graphics.

And I haven't seem any complexity, pretty, polish or what else on the game... no problem you love it, but doesn't seem to have any reason to justify running at sub 60fps on X1X when doing basically 1080p and eventually rising to 81% of 4k.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

I haven't said that because they are Indie they are bad. I said (and there isn't still any case otherwise) that graphical performance is lesser than AAA, because in fact you need a lot of manpower to put great graphics.

And I haven't seem any complexity, pretty, polish or what else on the game... no problem you love it, but doesn't seem to have any reason to justify running at sub 60fps on X1X when doing basically 1080p and eventually rising to 81% of 4k.

Have you played the game?
The complexities of the game do not show up in video.
Compression really hates fast moving titles like Redout.
And to make all that worse, the game sort of requires a temporal component to look pretty.

The game is on sale on Steam right now, 50% off.

Anyway a fantastic example to what I was talking about before is Portal.
The first Portal was created by about ten people at Valve in about 2.5 years.
Now, the game isn't demanding, but it can be.
With a slight adjustment to Portal's game design it can destroy even the most powerful of computers.

Due to the way the game renders portals, and the way pretty much any engine would have to (now there are examples where you could fake it, or do some other tricks, or use a different type or render engine, but that is beyond the point) the game can be super taxing.
Portal's portals are perhaps the prettiest things I have seen in a game to date.
Go look up how they work.

You don't need to put in thousands of hours (into the development of new technologies and such) to make a title, that is both optimised and demanding, if you know what you are doing.
Faking effects does take a lot of effort and research however.