By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 34bigthings concidering legal actions against Digital Foundry after bad analysis

vivster said:

Doesn't change the fact that the game apparently still runs worse. I don't think any of this attracted much attention if they focused on framerate before resolution, since that is more noticeable.

But somehow I doubt this developer will take away that important lesson.

TBH I think they probably will in the end they're working on updating the XBO X support, after all that's what they focused on with the PS4 Pro version which runs at the same resolution as the PS4 version, just with a stable 1080p@60fps instead of 1080p@45-ish.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Errorist76 said:

Are you seriously measuring the importance or respect a site gets from a Wikipedia (above all) entry?!

DF are very respected and yes, the major entity/site on the net doing tech comparisons for games, if you like it or not.

Use the Alexa rating of them so, they come in around the 340,000th rank

to put that in perspective

Fox news is at 260

Vgchartz is at 18k

aye, the Major News site is less important than this website by a factor of 17 in the metric of importance of Alexa ranking, the system used to measure website traffic and visitors.

Guess we better start to actually proof read the articles on the front page here, since we're 17x more popular than a Major News site!

As Barkley has already stated they are part of Eurogamer and I'm not debating DF in a relation to Faux News...I'm debating DF in the context of other sites doing the same thing..and in that regard they are on the top of their game, with other Youtube channels like Candyland and NX Gamer being the only competition.

Most major gaming news sites or news aggregate ones are also often reposting DF's analysis, because they are that respected...so your argument is moot, I'm sorry. 

I doubt this will go anywhere. Devs have tried to do something about reviews who rated them poorly and nothing came of it. Devs hate when they get criticized over something. If they tested the game and that's the results they get and they publish the numbers as is that's not fake. It was real in that test.

I'm just wondering what strange dynamic resolution scaling they are using that 1. the game doesn't even hold 60 as intended and 2. it's so hard to spot...?! DF usually have their tools to do that and are very thorough with it.

Aeolus451 said:
I doubt this will go anywhere. Devs have tried to do something about reviews who rated them poorly and nothing came of it. Devs hate when they get criticized over something. If they tested the game and that's the results they get and they publish the numbers as is that's not fake. It was real in that test.

In this case they actually made a mistake in the test. Lying about something, be it out of ignorance or malice, is not an opinion. It's a wrong statement that needs to be corrected.

Not sure yet if the dev just acts up for damage control or if they were actually affected by massive unjustified complains by rabid fanboys, which is a real possibility here. Doesn't change the fact, of course, that they fucked up but it needs to be pointed out that a mistake was made by DF.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

I guess DF just didn't realize this game runs at a dynamic resolution. At least that's the only thing I can think of. If so, that's quite the range on that dynamic resolution. And it doesn't seem to be doing its job of keeping the framerate consistent. 

malistix1985 said:
caffeinade said:
I like this thread.
Please do more reporting.

Thanks, I think it was a nice thing to point out because of the power these youtube channels have and the effect it can have when they do a bad job. Its funny how they said multiple times in the video the developer was being lazy when in fact it was them doing the terrible job.

Vincoletto said:
So now it is possible to also sue youtube channels because of a wrong analysis? Will someday be possible to sue a channel if they for example say " game x sucks because the weapons does not have aim assist" when in fact they had?
Will they also be able to sue reddit users that sometimes runs huge data analysys in case they are wrong? There must be a limit to those things.

I think when someone uses fake facts to sway thousands of potential buyers you should be able to do something about it.

Musouka said:
Here is a good solution for the future.

If you can't understand why a game is performing badly on the target hardware despite the extra power (as they have stated multiple times in the video), it might be a good idea to contact the developer with your findings in search for an answer before stating your conclusions. That would ensure both your technical and investigative integrity.

I think this is the ideal outcome because not only will it give the true facts but when there is really a problem the developer will also be aware of this and gets a chance to respont, for excample that they will work on the issue or any other feedback, it would give the complete picture.

I saw the original video and to my memory they never directly stated that the developer was lazy. They were confused about what was going on, cosidering the 4k hud over '1080p' gameplay and speculated that the developer 'might have ported over standart xbox code, without optimizing it specifically to the machine' and that 'it might be a placeholder'.

I think the developer was possibly referring to fans of either side calling them lazy. It just goes to show that all this pixel counting is a bit BS. If no one can tell the diffrence between 1080p and 90% of 4k on a 4k screen with the naked eye, you might as well not bother. The framerate issues are a diffrent beast, and definitly worth adressing as they impact gameplay directly.

Pretty big error on DFs side regardless, although I don't think they should be sued over it. They took the video down and posted a correction. If they, despite being corrected still pertained their version, with malicious intent, sure sue, but this seems like an honest mistake.

vivster said:
Aeolus451 said:

In this case they actually made a mistake in the test. Lying about something, be it out of ignorance or malice, is not an opinion. It's a wrong statement that needs to be corrected.

Not sure yet if the dev just acts up for damage control or if they were actually affected by massive unjustified complains by rabid fanboys, which is a real possibility here. Doesn't change the fact, of course, that they fucked up but it needs to be pointed out that a mistake was made by DF.

Actually that is still an opinion. Lying or being incorrect doesn't really it.

Anyway, If they made an actual mistake in the test then just redo the test and show the results. The only reason why this has gotten to this point is the dev making this public. This sort of stuff happens all the time. 

SuperNova said:
malistix1985 said:

Thanks, I think it was a nice thing to point out because of the power these youtube channels have and the effect it can have when they do a bad job. Its funny how they said multiple times in the video the developer was being lazy when in fact it was them doing the terrible job.

I think when someone uses fake facts to sway thousands of potential buyers you should be able to do something about it.

I think this is the ideal outcome because not only will it give the true facts but when there is really a problem the developer will also be aware of this and gets a chance to respont, for excample that they will work on the issue or any other feedback, it would give the complete picture.

I saw the original video and to my memory they never directly stated that the developer was lazy. They were confused about what was going on, cosidering the 4k hud over '1080p' gameplay and speculated that the developer 'might have ported over standart xbox code, without optimizing it specifically to the machine' and that 'it might be a placeholder'.

I think the developer was possibly referring to fans of either side calling them lazy. It just goes to show that all this pixel counting is a bit BS. If no one can tell the diffrence between 1080p and 90% of 4k on a 4k screen with the naked eye, you might as well not bother. The framerate issues are a diffrent beast, and definitly worth adressing as they impact gameplay directly.

Pretty big error on DFs side regardless, although I don't think they should be sued over it. They took the video down and posted a correction. If they, despite being corrected still pertained their version, with malicious intent, sure sue, but this seems like an honest mistake.

Perhaps it pass more time being 1080p than 90% 4k

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why trust a developer that can't even do basic math:

we managed to scale the resolution between 90% and 50% of native 4k, which means the resolution goes from the upper limit of 3456×1944 to the lower one of 1920×1080

That's scaling between 81% to 25% of native 4K.... And then it still drops to 45fps after cutting the resolution to 25% of the target? Then blame someone else for being incompetent? Funny.