By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 34bigthings concidering legal actions against Digital Foundry after bad analysis

DonFerrari said:
Barkley said:

What's wrong with suing over false facts presented to potential customers resulting in a potential loss of income?

But redout is a good game.

I don't think they'll go ahead with the law suit but it's understandable to be angry when someone trashes your hard work based on entirely false information.

So should potential buyers sue 34 Big Things because the box doesn't say how much time the game is sub 4k?

That's a strange and pretty much unrelated point, but if the box says "NATIVE 4k" then sure. I don't think it does.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Barkley said:

All of digital foundry's work is posted to eurogamer, which is a major news site. Here it is posted on eurogamer. Heck it's on the front-page of eurogamer right now.

Cut the attitude while you're at it.

What attitude and who are you to say the attitude of others on this site?

I'm telling you, digital foundry the "major news site" you are talking about doesn't even have its own stand alone wiki entry, as I said, they're a throwaway line on Eurogamers page there, if you want you can go write one up for them because no one else has bothered to write one up for a youtube site with 500k subs, much like the majority of youtube channels with that figure of subs.

If it annoys you that a analysis youtube group you watch isn't considered as major as Fox News because it appeals to a tiny number of people who enjoy counting pixels that's on you, nothing to do with my attitude.

Digital foundry is essentially an extension of eurogamer who have hosted the channel since 2007. The point you try to make of them being too small is irrelevant when all of their stuff is also posted to eurogamer. They get just as much exposure as eurogamer themselves, who are again a major news site. They don't need their won Wiki Entry they're synonymous with Eurogamer and are owned by "Gamer Network" the owners of Eurogamer.

As for the attitude I was referring to the following seems exceptionally condescending: "But back in the real world they're a youtube channel with a half a million subs that some people (a tiny minority of people, I would wager in the 4 figure mark) mistake to be a major news site"

Regardless I'm not saying legal action should be taken, nor that they should win such a case. Simply that they have a reason to be angry.

Ganoncrotch said:
Barkley said:

All of digital foundry's work is posted to eurogamer, which is a major news site. Here it is posted on eurogamer. Heck it's on the front-page of eurogamer right now.

Cut the attitude while you're at it.

I'm telling you, digital foundry the "major news site" you are talking about doesn't even have its own stand alone wiki entry, as I said, they're a throwaway line on Eurogamers page there, if you want you can go write one up for them because no one else has bothered to write one up for a youtube site with 500k subs, much like the majority of youtube channels with that figure of subs.

If it annoys you that a analysis youtube group you watch isn't considered as major as Fox News because it appeals to a tiny number of people who enjoy counting pixels that's on you, nothing to do with my attitude.

Are you seriously measuring the importance or respect a site gets from a Wikipedia (above all) entry?!

DF are very respected and yes, the major entity/site on the net doing tech comparisons for games, if you like it or not.

Errorist76 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Are you seriously measuring the importance or respect a site gets from a Wikipedia (above all) entry?!

DF are very respected and yes, the major entity/site on the net doing tech comparisons for games, if you like it or not.

Use the Alexa rating of them so, they come in around the 340,000th rank

to put that in perspective

Fox news is at 260

Vgchartz is at 18k

aye, the Major News site is less important than this website by a factor of 17 in the metric of importance of Alexa ranking, the system used to measure website traffic and visitors.

Guess we better start to actually proof read the articles on the front page here, since we're 17x more popular than a Major News site!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Errorist76 said:

Use the Alexa rating of them so, they come in around the 340,000th rank

to put that in perspective

Fox news is at 260

Vgchartz is at 18k

aye, the Major News site is less important than this website by a factor of 17 in the metric of importance of Alexa ranking, the system used to measure website traffic and visitors.

Guess we better start to actually proof read the articles on the front page here, since we're 17x more popular than a Major News site!

You seem to be completely ignoring that their work is on Eurogamer, they are owned by the same people as Eurogamer, They have their own section displayed at the top of the Eurogamer site and that the article in question is currently on the front page of eurogamer. No one goes to DigitalFoundry's own site to watch their stuff, hell even with a google search the first result is Eurogamer.

Also the "Major News Site" was referring to the video game industry, not BBC/CNN/FOX/etc. The Major News Site I was referring to was Eurogamer.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
DonFerrari said:

So should potential buyers sue 34 Big Things because the box doesn't say how much time the game is sub 4k?

That's a strange and pretty much unrelated point, but if the box says "NATIVE 4k" then sure. I don't think it does.

Have their marketing been clear the game is scaled from 1080p to 90% 4k and how often it stays far from 4k? I severely doubt it and that is probably the reason for the flack their unkown game received.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

And the real lesson here?

Resolution isn't as obvious as some would have you believe. In some cases, we only think something looks better just because they tell us its running at a higher rez.

If we did blind tests with certain games running at 4k native, 4k checkerboard, 1440p with really good AA, and then with 1800p upscaled to 4k...... I am sure the results will be very interesting.

DonFerrari said:
Barkley said:

Have their marketing been clear the game is scaled from 1080p to 90% 4k and how often it stays far from 4k? I severely doubt it and that is probably the reason for the flack their unkown game received.

The reason for the flack is Eurogamer said it ran at 1080p on XBX and a lower frame rate than the PS4 Pro. So people were upset the XBOX version of the game apparently ran much worse than the PS4 Pro version.

In reality the XBO X version (free update btw) that was released 2 weeks ago features a dynamic resolution ranging from 1080p to 1944p.

Unknown game is harsh considering it's sold around 120k units on Steam, not bad for an indie game with a $40 price tag.

Digital Foundry made a mistake, a mistake that affected 34bigthings negatively. Now they're angry about that and people such as yourself are taking this as an opportunity to trash the developer even more. I don't understand it tbh. Can only feel sorry for them.

Barkley said:
DonFerrari said:

The reason for the flack is Eurogamer said it ran at 1080p on XBX and a lower frame rate than the PS4 Pro. So people were upset the XBOX version of the game apparently ran much worse than the PS4 Pro version.

In reality the XBO X version (free update btw) that was released 2 weeks ago features a dynamic resolution ranging from 1080p to 1944p.

Unknown game is harsh considering it's sold around 120k units on Steam, not bad for an indie game with a $40 price tag.

Digital Foundry made a mistake, a mistake that affected 34bigthings negatively. Now they're angry about that and people such as yourself are taking this as an opportunity to trash the developer even more. I don't understand it tbh. Can only feel sorry for them.

Considering the type of graphics indies push, 4k without any framedrop would be expectable on X1X... so this seems much more the dev trying to defending their shortcomings (not lazyness)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well, that's a rare thing. I trust DF and this seems like an honest mistake on their part.

Doesn't change the fact that the game apparently still runs worse. I don't think any of this attracted much attention if they focused on framerate before resolution, since that is more noticeable.

But somehow I doubt this developer will take away that important lesson.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.