By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 31st Jul - 6th Aug 2017

NoCtiS_NoX said:
thismeintiel said:

Highly doubtful.  While Japan is still a decent market, it's a shadow of its former self, at least where home consoles are concerned.  Last gen, the highly successful Wii didn't even crack 13M, just ~2.2M ahead of the expensive PS3. And the highly successful PS4 is most likely going to, at best, match the Wii.  A far cry from the 23M PS2, and ways off from the 17M SNES and 19M NES/PS1.

While Sony will put enough focus on it to keep those sales going, Japan is far from their main focus.

The thing about this is the Switch. They cannot just let Nintendo have a free ride in Japan. Yes. you are correct it's a shadow of its former self but Japan is still a strong market for games. 

If Switch explode in Japan it will have ton of support and it will be harder for Sony to have a counter measure. Japan is still an important market. Doesn't mean they will focus in Japan they will ignore the west. PS4 on the west is already on the bag all they have to do is maintain it. GT will be big in EU. Future is very bright with Last of us 2, Spiderman, Days Gone and God of War.

Asia is also gaining marketshare. China, Korea and SEA. Malaysia had a PS experience recently and it shows that they want to expand more in Asia and Japanese games is needed there. 
Yakuza  had a strong sales in Asia and I read somewhere that Sega wants the next Yakuza have a english translation ready to maximize the sales for Asian market.

If Sony can release a console that sells 10m like the ps3 and do similar software numbers in japan then they'll be happy. Especially with all the extra ps plus revenue they get this gen. They will also want to get all the third party games on their console and compared to the first 3 years of last gen they are streets ahead in that regard. Their arget with the PS5 should be the same. 10m sales, similar software to ps3/ps4 gen, ps plus revenue and all the third party games. 

Considering the PS4 will be a success I can't see third parties abandoning ps4/ps5 just because nintendo finally have a console it's easy for third parties to port their playstation games to. If anything it will mean these games will do evn better and in the long run more ps4/switch titles get approved then otherwise would. Lastly, the switch and it's successor will likely be pc architecture similar to the ps4/ps5. This will making porting of games between the two platforms easier then ever before. You're not going to see third parties go switch only even if the switch versions are selling more because porting a switch game to ps4 won't be hard. 

Switch will sell 20M+, PS4 10M+ and Sony;s console will be in no danger of losing it's games. Especially when Japanese titles on Playstation sell well in Asia and deent in the west. 

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Mummelmann said:
Goddamn, DQ is tearing it up over there! Let's hope it sells well in the West as well. Switch with yet another solid week, its expected success in Japan continues.

1.5-2M PS4

1M Switch port

0.5M 3DS

in da West

Orchestral OST and voice acting is a must tho!

Yeah, been watching some gameplay videos, this is honestly the first DQ title I'm excited about and I think I'll buy it once it releases. Been too long since I played a good JRPG (that wasn't FFXII: The Zodiac Age, that is).

John19 said:

This thread is a mess

Anyways, great hold for Switch and Splatoon 2, and of course awesome sales for Dragon Quest 11. PS4 did great this week as well, as did 3DS. It's always good to see these three sell strongly in Japan. Excited to see Switch sales for Obon

I could see the Switch sales rising up again, considering there's atm no less than 10 different Switch bundles in the Amazon top 40 (12 in top 42!). Yet still, the prices are slowly rising up again, meaning that it's still not enough to cover demand in Japan.

Kerotan said:
LipeJJ said:

When they realize this, they will move the goalpost to "Japan is not an important market, its sales are bad".

It's just how these people are... 

Most people pushing this race are not Sony fans. You're not going to see many Sony fans shifting the posts on this one. We are mainly comparing it to the ps3 last gen. That's its barometer for success. How it sells vs a hybrid is irrelevant.

People would probably compare it with other traditional home consoles like Wii u and xb1 but we seen how they ended up so what's the point .

I think it's the opposite. When PS4 wins a week against Switch I see fans praising PS4 and downplaying Switch (which I don't mind, I think it's normal)... but when Switch wins, it suddenly doesn't matter or what matters is worldwide sales (which I agree and always said myself, but this is a Japan thread and I really hate this kind of hypocrisy). 

Btw, I admire that you and some other people are focusing on the PS3 comparison, which I think is indeed much more revelant for PS4. And by the looks of it, PS4 is on track to outsell it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

RolStoppable said:

Here's a graph to illustrate what Kerotan is talking about:

Okay this is funny.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Funny that Japan sales thread is basically the most toxic sales thread, even though its such a small market nowadays compared to the rest of the world.

Compares with UK. Compares with Germany. Compares with France...

The US is the only market bigger than the japanese market, so I would say it is indeed pretty important.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kerotan said:
spurgeonryan said:
Constantly see8ng the 3ds up there on top for years now seems impossible. People just keep on selling and rebuking the system there?

There are many kids nowadays who were not around when it launched or weren't old enough for a handheld when it launched. Then obviously there's those that rebuy because their older model breaks or because they want a newer sku Nintendo releases. 

Really? Kids are the only explanation for 3DS-sales?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

torok said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Switch stock finally sorted?

Great hold for DQ11/PS4/3DS too! Finally Japan sales are looking good again

I never jumped on the "Japan doesn't want consoles anymore" bandwagon. Really, we were supposed to believe that they would rather play Candy Crush? Come on.

Sony just had to get their act together and get Japanese games on their consoles. Nintendo just had to release a consoles that people actually would want to buy, because the Wii U wasn't what consumers wanted. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Carl2291 said:
RolStoppable said:

Here's a graph to illustrate what Kerotan is talking about:

Okay this is funny.

Once in awhile, something comes along and gets me to post in these threads again. That was indeed awesome on Rol's end. Oh well, back to ignoring these threads besides Kresnik and very select few post. 

Acevil said:
Carl2291 said:

Okay this is funny.

Once in awhile, something comes along and gets me to post in these threads again. That was indeed awesome on Rol's end. Oh well, back to ignoring these threads besides Kresnik and very select few post. 

You make me feel bad! And to think i stop arguing for the sake of others feelings!! :/