By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RolStoppable said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Neither, but you came off as not wanting Peach to be a strong female lead not needing rescuing, because that kind of character is woke.

No, that's not really what "woke" means. Being woke is about making political messaging your selling point, such as what we've seen in Nindie presentations. For example, a game that is about Indian culture (I forgot its name and never heard of it again) or that Venba game that is about a family of immigrants that is barely an hour long; it's a different form of style over substance.

I suppose the easiest way to find out if something is woke or not, is to go to ResetEra and look if they are praising a game and anyone who disagrees gets instantly banned.

Agreed.

Woke - aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues

The only thing Nintendo is aware and actively attentive about is how not to destroy their IP. They know what IP is for which demographic. And Peach is for little girls who want to be a Princess, and there's nothing wrong with a leader who takes action. A leader should take action. But this isn't the place for a discussion like this.

Honestly, I hope my lil sis gets the Princess Peach game, it looks pretty cool. She loves to play dress up. I wish that there are more costumes in the game.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
RolStoppable said:

Is Peach black now? Or is she a lesbian?

Looks like same ol' Peach to me.

Neither, but you came off as not wanting Peach to be a strong female lead not needing rescuing, because that kind of character is woke.

Not really an apt comparison. There's been strong female characters in video games for decades and I've never heard Samus Aran or Chell called woke. I've always understood 'woke' to mean pushing a political agenda.

CaptainExplosion said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Nintendo doesn’t go woke.

There is nothing wrong with making a new addition to the Princess Peach franchise. Hopefully is sells well so there can be more games that look fun for girls.

Regardless, going woke shouldn't automatically be a bad thing, especially considering anti-woke people have the tendency to storm the White House, shoot black people at a supermarket, or protest military funerals.

Besides, Nintendo gave us one of the first badass women in gaming history when they introduced Samus Aran back in 1986, so I guess they're woke in a good way.

Oh boy, here we go...

There are many people that are anti-woke. The vast majority of Americans (and humans on the planet) aren't woke when you break down what woke a means.

As for the riot of overblown proportions, only 0.0006% of the entire population were involved in the storming of the capital, almost entirely of which were people just walking through the building not harming or threatening anyone, and in which many undercover fbi agents were planted into. The amount that were there to actually do damage was a ridiculously small number from that already ridiculously small number at the protest in the first place, yet the media acts like 10,000,000 armed conservatives stormed the capital and massacred everybody. The whole thing was 95% peaceful, and those that weren't went to jail as they should have.

Way, way, way more black people murder black people, and other races for that matter, than white people murder black people. It's not even close. But all the media does anytime a white person murders a black person is cover it nonstop for weeks, conditioning the ignorant masses to assume this is constantly happening. It's mass conditioning and brainwashing.

The Westboro people protesting funerals is terrible and I don't know one conservative that supports those people.

Dulfite said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Regardless, going woke shouldn't automatically be a bad thing, especially considering anti-woke people have the tendency to storm the White House, shoot black people at a supermarket, or protest military funerals.

Besides, Nintendo gave us one of the first badass women in gaming history when they introduced Samus Aran back in 1986, so I guess they're woke in a good way.

Oh boy, here we go...

There are many people that are anti-woke. The vast majority of Americans (and humans on the planet) aren't woke when you break down what woke a means.

As for the riot of overblown proportions, only 0.0006% of the entire population were involved in the storming of the capital, almost entirely of which were people just walking through the building not harming or threatening anyone, and in which many undercover fbi agents were planted into. The amount that were there to actually do damage was a ridiculously small number from that already ridiculously small number at the protest in the first place, yet the media acts like 10,000,000 armed conservatives stormed the capital and massacred everybody. The whole thing was 95% peaceful, and those that weren't went to jail as they should have.

Way, way, way more black people murder black people, and other races for that matter, than white people murder black people. It's not even close. But all the media does anytime a white person murders a black person is cover it nonstop for weeks, conditioning the ignorant masses to assume this is constantly happening. It's mass conditioning and brainwashing.

The Westboro people protesting funerals is terrible and I don't know one conservative that supports those people.

Most just want fun.

Back to Nintendo. The Partner Showcase is tomorrow. What will most likely be announced?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Wait, people really went through this discussion just like that ...

Welp, I'd say normally Nintendo games never truly come out with active societal awareness or issues in their messaging on the surface, because it just isn't their main primary goals when producing their games. These concepts are more trivial to them.

Not saying they're not conscious of said terms or issues but not a main focal point of their buisness.

Doesn't mean they are adversed to of real societal tension points in few of their stories either. The Xenoblade series is definitely known for that once you get to peel it's subtext narratives.

Anywoo, let them cook !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

"Woke" in the context it is used today implies being aggressively left wing to a toxic degree, for example giving a disproportionate amount of power, say, and representation to groups that the left see as "oppressed", pushing the message that POC > white people and women > men, having a hateful and bigoted attitude towards groups such as men, white people, straight people, older people, conservatives, a totalitarian attitude towards freedom of expression, etc.

It's basically the flipside of the same coin as the alt right.

Princess Peach Showtime isn't "woke", if it was there'd be a male character who is constantly demeaned and emasculated, Peach would be blackwashed, there'd be a tokenistic laundry list of every imaginable minority, and the whole thing would be a preachy lecture about the "patriarchy".

I hope Contra: Operation Galuga and some of the upcoming Sega remakes are there.

Mar1217 said:

Wait, people really went through this discussion just like that ...

Welp, I'd say normally Nintendo games never truly come out with active societal awareness or issues in their messaging on the surface, because it just isn't their main primary goals when producing their games. These concepts are more trivial to them.

Not saying they're not conscious of said terms or issues but not a main focal point of their buisness.

Doesn't mean they are adversed to of real societal tension points in few of their stories either. The Xenoblade series is definitely known for that once you get to peel it's subtext narratives.

Anywoo, let them cook !

The closest would be Pokemon but that is because of TPC - not Nintendo themselves. (In terms of inclusion I mean)

Anyways, excited to see what third party titles get announced.

I know its low chance but hoping to see another SE remaster/remake announced.

Dulfite said:

Oh boy, here we go...

This is easily the worst post ever in a Nintendo megathread on this website. It shouldn't matter whether you trust the respected media or not, but you should at least trust your own eyes; the Capitol event has been captured by lots of cameras, so there is a huge amount of videos available for it. Learn to think for yourself.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Direct is up!

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.