By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Not a bad Direct given the age of the system; it's great to have a release date for Another Crab's Treasure, and I may pick up Grounded if its a good port.

While not my cup of tea, it's kinda nice to see Endless Ocean return too, and I am intrigued to see how Kingdom Come Deliverance turns out as it's one of the most demanding games ever ported to the Switch.

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

"Woke" in the context it is used today implies being aggressively left wing to a toxic degree, for example giving a disproportionate amount of power, say, and representation to groups that the left see as "oppressed", pushing the message that POC > white people and women > men, having a hateful and bigoted attitude towards groups such as men, white people, straight people, older people, conservatives, a totalitarian attitude towards freedom of expression, etc.

It's basically the flipside of the same coin as the alt right.

Princess Peach Showtime isn't "woke", if it was there'd be a male character who is constantly demeaned and emasculated, Peach would be blackwashed, there'd be a tokenistic laundry list of every imaginable minority, and the whole thing would be a preachy lecture about the "patriarchy".

The beauty of the term woke is that it doesn't actually mean anything. It's a term that can be used to decry anything without actually having to say the quiet part out loud.

It can in some cases be used to describe things that are genuniely toxic or bigoted. But more often than not, this is not the case. For instance, Bud Light was "woke" for having a trans person promote their beer. Their was certainly nothing anti-man or anti-cis or anti-whatever about it. Bud light just wants people to drink their beer whatever their gender expression is, because, you know, their job is to sell beer. This is kind of the exact thing the anti-woke crowd should promote, because their argument had been that you shouldn't "cancel" things or people because of their political views. I.e. if Harry Potter is a good book, read it, regardless of whatever JK Rowling things about trans people. Buy Chick-Fil-A whatever they thing about gay people. And, they may have a point if they actually followed through on that. Yet, predictably and hypocritically, they did not take a live and let live approach when someone is pro-trans, and started shooting cases of Bud Light. 

Another example is the movie Turning Red, which was decried by many as woke for... reasons? What those reasons were is not clear. There is certainly nothing about the movie that is hateful towards any group of people as far as I can see. It's not really addressing any broad social issues. I don't recall any lectures about Patriarchy. In fact matriarchy is a more prevalent theme. You know, come to think about it, men are not featured very prominently in the movie at all, which might be getting us closer to the actual issue they had with it. 

What turning red does have is a minority character as the lead. Oh, and it mentions directly and implicitly a girl having her period. Apparently that was enough to label the movie as "woke". They struggled to explain why that was, and mostly settled on it being unrelatable to the masses. Because we were able to relate to insects, living toys, a lonely robot, fish, and anthropomorphic personifications of abstract emotional concepts... but 13 year old Chinese girl having her period is where some people draw the line I guess. 

This kind of response, meaning your post, bothers me because it gives cover to the anti-woke crowd, and steelmans their position into something vaguely rational. Do they sometimes pick up on genuinely problematic behavior? Yes, because blind squirrels will occasionally find a nut. Yes, demonizing groups is a problem even if those groups are not a minority. Yes, assuming that someone who likes a book supports everything the author has ever said is a bad idea. Yes, remaking Snow White and the seven Dwarves without dwarves and with a main character who is not as white as snow is probably a bit silly. But, far more often, it's just an excuse to attack anything that supports or features a group they don't like, whether or not it is any way hateful or bigoted towards other groups. I keep hearing it's not about them disliking the groups or resenting them being represented, it's just that they are somehow being represented in the "wrong way". Somehow it's always the "wrong way". I'm skeptical that there is a right way. 

Honestly, woke is just a quick and dirty shortcut to discredit something without explaining why it is actually bad, evil, hateful or w/e. And, we shouldn't accept that. If someone attacks something for being woke, we should ask them to describe the actual problem without using the term woke. Without vague allusions to some giant conspiracy. What makes this particular message or work harmful? If they can explain that, great. Most of the time, they will not be able to. 

I didn't use "woke" as a shortcut, I explained what I consider to the be the negative side of it.

I agree that does get overused in cases where there is nothing actually wrong; featuring minorities in games/TV/movies is not a bad thing. Decrying something as woke purely because it has a brown or gay person in it as the alt right tend to do is just silly.

The problem more arises when it feels inauthentic; when the political messaging is pushed to the front in a way that feels heavy handed and preachy.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Not a bad Direct given the age of the system; it's great to have a release date for Another Crab's Treasure, and I may pick up Grounded if its a good port.

While not my cup of tea, it's kinda nice to see Endless Ocean return too, and I am intrigued to see how Kingdom Come Deliverance turns out as it's one of the most demanding games ever ported to the Switch.

JWeinCom said:

The beauty of the term woke is that it doesn't actually mean anything. It's a term that can be used to decry anything without actually having to say the quiet part out loud.

It can in some cases be used to describe things that are genuniely toxic or bigoted. But more often than not, this is not the case. For instance, Bud Light was "woke" for having a trans person promote their beer. Their was certainly nothing anti-man or anti-cis or anti-whatever about it. Bud light just wants people to drink their beer whatever their gender expression is, because, you know, their job is to sell beer. This is kind of the exact thing the anti-woke crowd should promote, because their argument had been that you shouldn't "cancel" things or people because of their political views. I.e. if Harry Potter is a good book, read it, regardless of whatever JK Rowling things about trans people. Buy Chick-Fil-A whatever they thing about gay people. And, they may have a point if they actually followed through on that. Yet, predictably and hypocritically, they did not take a live and let live approach when someone is pro-trans, and started shooting cases of Bud Light. 

Another example is the movie Turning Red, which was decried by many as woke for... reasons? What those reasons were is not clear. There is certainly nothing about the movie that is hateful towards any group of people as far as I can see. It's not really addressing any broad social issues. I don't recall any lectures about Patriarchy. In fact matriarchy is a more prevalent theme. You know, come to think about it, men are not featured very prominently in the movie at all, which might be getting us closer to the actual issue they had with it. 

What turning red does have is a minority character as the lead. Oh, and it mentions directly and implicitly a girl having her period. Apparently that was enough to label the movie as "woke". They struggled to explain why that was, and mostly settled on it being unrelatable to the masses. Because we were able to relate to insects, living toys, a lonely robot, fish, and anthropomorphic personifications of abstract emotional concepts... but 13 year old Chinese girl having her period is where some people draw the line I guess. 

This kind of response, meaning your post, bothers me because it gives cover to the anti-woke crowd, and steelmans their position into something vaguely rational. Do they sometimes pick up on genuinely problematic behavior? Yes, because blind squirrels will occasionally find a nut. Yes, demonizing groups is a problem even if those groups are not a minority. Yes, assuming that someone who likes a book supports everything the author has ever said is a bad idea. Yes, remaking Snow White and the seven Dwarves without dwarves and with a main character who is not as white as snow is probably a bit silly. But, far more often, it's just an excuse to attack anything that supports or features a group they don't like, whether or not it is any way hateful or bigoted towards other groups. I keep hearing it's not about them disliking the groups or resenting them being represented, it's just that they are somehow being represented in the "wrong way". Somehow it's always the "wrong way". I'm skeptical that there is a right way. 

Honestly, woke is just a quick and dirty shortcut to discredit something without explaining why it is actually bad, evil, hateful or w/e. And, we shouldn't accept that. If someone attacks something for being woke, we should ask them to describe the actual problem without using the term woke. Without vague allusions to some giant conspiracy. What makes this particular message or work harmful? If they can explain that, great. Most of the time, they will not be able to. 

I didn't use "woke" as a shortcut, I explained what I consider to the be the negative side of it.

I agree that does get overused in cases where there is nothing actually wrong; featuring minorities in games/TV/movies is not a bad thing. Decrying something as woke purely because it has a brown or gay person in it as the alt right tend to do is just silly.

The problem more arises when it feels inauthentic; when the political messaging is pushed to the front in a way that feels heavy handed and preachy.

I edited the post out cause I'd rather get not get into a whole thing. But my point was that even if you are using it in good faith, more often than not it isn't. I'd rather avoid people lending any credence to it by suggesting there is some legitimate definition behind it all. Cause there really isn't. But like I said don't really feel like debating it so last I'm gonna say about it for now.

JWeinCom said:

I edited the post out cause I'd rather get not get into a whole thing. But my point was that even if you are using it in good faith, more often than not it isn't. I'd rather avoid people lending any credence to it by suggesting there is some legitimate definition behind it all. Cause there really isn't. But like I said don't really feel like debating it so last I'm gonna say about it for now.

Every word has a truthful definition. But I understand your point.

Either way Nintendo is not one to be pushing political agendas, nor pandering. They make games because they are fun, it’s as simple as that.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

So happy that Monster Hunter Stories got remastered.

Now I dont have to play the 3DS version lol

Shtinamin_ said:
JWeinCom said:

Every word has a truthful definition. But I understand your point.

Either way Nintendo is not one to be pushing political agendas, nor pandering. They make games because they are fun, it’s as simple as that.

Words are only useful to the extent they have a common understanding. Some terms are designed specifically to be heard differently by different listeners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle_(politics)

Nintendo absolutely panders. Every entertainment company does. If you're in a business where you're selling things to customers, your job is to try to figure out what they would like and give it to them. It only became a problem when the group which used to be pandered to exclusively is not the only one being pandered to. 

Around the Network

Anyone using 'woke' in a derogatory way is fundamentally lacking in compassion and empathy. The core concept of bitching about 'wokeness' is to cry and whine any time progressive values are boosted or we collectively acknowledge injustice in our systems.

"What? you said America isn't perfect and that change is good actually? WELL YOU ARE ACTUALLY THE BAD PEOPLE!"

Piss off with that. and this isn't really the thread for it.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Anyone using 'woke' in a derogatory way is fundamentally lacking in compassion and empathy. The core concept of bitching about 'wokeness' is to cry and whine any time progressive values are boosted or we collectively acknowledge injustice in our systems.

"What? you said America isn't perfect and that change is good actually? WELL YOU ARE ACTUALLY THE BAD PEOPLE!"

Its just injustice when progressives deems it so. There are lots of actual injustice that progressives dont give a shit about. Its just when they are able to virtue signal and feel better about themselves for calling someone out that its an actual "important" subject.

KLXVER said:
Runa216 said:

Its just injustice when progressives deems it so. There are lots of actual injustice that progressives dont give a shit about. Its just when they are able to virtue signal and feel better about themselves for calling someone out that its an actual "important" subject.

Nope. Bad take. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

Nope. Bad take. 

Just gotta say that was a horrible conversation where neither side wants to dig deeper or accept what the problem is. And this isn't the thread for this conversation. If you want to talk about wokeness, progressive issues, or pandering and dig deeper to the root of the problem please take it to the US Politics thread.

On a totally related note in regards to Nintendo: Who is excited for the Pokémon Presents? What can we expect?
Could we be getting another ILCA chibi remake?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
Runa216 said:

Nope. Bad take. 

Just gotta say that was a horrible conversation where neither side wants to dig deeper or accept what the problem is. And this isn't the thread for this conversation. If you want to talk about wokeness, progressive issues, or pandering and dig deeper to the root of the problem please take it to the US Politics thread.

On a totally related note in regards to Nintendo: Who is excited for the Pokémon Presents? What can we expect?
Could we be getting another ILCA chibi remake?

Didnt really become a conversation. Words and facts means different things to a progressive.