By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

Even if it has a chance to beat the Wi, no way it can beat Wii+DS unless they release more devices.

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Jranation said:

And they have the right to! It already broke a couple records already. Its good that people are expecting Amazing stuff from this. If it delivers it delivers, if it doesnt it doesnt. 

What records fid it  break? Maybe Nintendo's  own. 

It didn't  beat ps4's launch sales and i dont  see it ever catching  up to ps4.... Soo what significant  records did it break?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1351419

I guess you missed this? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Miyamotoo said:

Since the Switch went on sale on March 3, the Kyoto-based game maker outperformed the broader Japanese stock market by 20 percentage points through Thursday. That’s more than double the 8.9 percentage point outperformance during an equal time period that followed the Wii launch in 2006. It’s also far ahead of the nearly 30 point lag shares suffered in 2012 after the disastrous launch of the Wii U, which went on to become Nintendo’s s worst-selling home console in history.

That comparison is ridiculous. As the reference is the day before launch, expectations are priced into the reference. For the Wii the expectations were high before launch, so it's shares were already traded high on launch day. WiiU obviously was after launch below expectations, Switch is above. But I doubt the expectations were as high as with Wii to begin with.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Miyamotoo said:
xl-klaudkil said:

What records fid it  break? Maybe Nintendo's  own. 

It didn't  beat ps4's launch sales and i dont  see it ever catching  up to ps4.... Soo what significant  records did it break?

Actually it break some PS4 records also, if I recall in Spain and France, and brake most Nintendo records (including Wii/DS) for fastest selling console at launch and for best selling launch game (Zelda BotW beat Mario 64).

lonerism said:
Can he predict my future too?

Who?

I ask again  what significant  records  did  it break?

Is it the fastest  selling  system  ever worldwide?  Europe?  Japan? Usa?

Is it selling  record  amount  of software? 

Nope? Then it didn't  break any record and will struggle  to keep ahead with  ps4.

Don't  get me wrong  i hope the best for Nintendo, but this extreme  overhyping  is getting  ridiculous. 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

It is talking about percentages rather then $ value.

For example a 10% on $40 is better then a 20% on $15,

So the real question is what was the price of shares when Wii launched vs Switch.

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually it break some PS4 records also, if I recall in Spain and France, and brake most Nintendo records (including Wii/DS) for fastest selling console at launch and for best selling launch game (Zelda BotW beat Mario 64).

Who?

I ask again  what significant  records  did  it break?

Is it the fastest  selling  system  ever worldwide?  Europe?  Japan? Usa?

Is it selling  record  amount  of software? 

Nope? Then it didn't  break any record and will struggle  to keep ahead with  ps4.

Don't  get me wrong  i hope the best for Nintendo, but this extreme  overhyping  is getting  ridiculous. 

Did you actually read what I wrote!? Best launch for any console in Spain and France, best launch for any Nintendo console in US, Europe and AU and NZ. Best selling launch game (Zelda BotW beated Mario 64).

And console is still out of stock in most markets like US and Japan.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-07-nintendo-switch-beat-wii-over-two-days-in-the-americas-report

http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-is-the-best-selling-launch-for-nintendo-hardware-in-australianew-zealand/

http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-is-spains-best-console-launch-in-history/

https://abload.de/img/untitledxbsmt.png

The question is; what is the killer app?

I remember being quite concerned for Wii U after Nintendo showed NintendoLand on E3; after I played NintendoLand, that concern turned into being certain that the Wii U was not going to be a big success. It was just too convoluted, not at all pick up and play like Wii Sports. Throughout the Wii U's lifecycle it continued to baffle me why Nintendo came up with the dual screen concept on the hardware side, since they never came with any compelling software for it.

Over to the Switch: BoTW is the best game I have ever played, but it appeals to a relatively small audience compared to many other franchises. Of course it's a system seller, but Zelda is a 5-10 million seller franchise.

1-2 Switch is more Wii Sports-like than NintendoLand, but it's still nowhere close. You could see someone play Wii Sports tennis for 5 seconds and get it, it was instantely intuitive just like other mass market hits/fads (Guitar Hero for example).

Also; how does this system work for kids? I dont let my 5 year old near the Switch i handheld mode, the thing is too damn fragile. Older kids, sure, but I don't see this under the Christmas tree of the traditional gameboy/ds crowd.

The Switch is a great system, but so far I see it appealing to too few people to be a Wii level success. The marketing from Nintendo is also clearly aimed at adults 20-40.

Soundwave said:

I don't really see it, but hey good for Nintendo if it is. We would know by June/July if it was crushing like 400k/month in NPD even in non-holiday months and selling 60k-80k a week in Japan regularly in its first year and dominating the PAL/Euro charts. The Wii did all that and it was evident within months of release. 

The difference is 1,2 Switch is no Wii Sports. Not even in the same ball park. (1)

Zelda is great and all but Switch is mainly selling to 20-35 year old men likely at this point.  (2)

If Switch can sell over time about as well as the 3DS or a bit better, that would be satisfactory. That's a more realistic target. (3)

1.) True, but Switch is not targeted at casual gamers. And to honest I believe the definition of "casual" should cease to exist, it's only detrimental for both the industry and consumers.

2.) Actually, that's a positive thing. During the launch period a console maker should attract the enthusiast, the general consumer should come next when the entry price is lower and the library is more diverse. One of the (many) errors they did with the WiiU was to make a console with enthusiast entry price and then launch it with a general consumer game (NSMBU). Imo, Nintendo should announce more games aimed at the long-time fanbase this e3 and leave games like 2D Mario and Pokemon for next year.

3.) I agree the 3DS seems more realistic, but since they're going all in with a single system Nintendo should be more ambitious and aim for Wii sales.

I don't see it. They created a quality console and they got great first party titles but what is the catch that the casual audience will flock to? It's a weak home console but a strong handheld, so will it compete with the 3DS, which I believe Nintendo said they were still gonna support AND that the Switch was not a successor to the 3DS (could have misread, please correct me if so)

Like ksv mentioned, BotW is a fantastic game...for Nintendo gamers. It will not make non-Nintendo casual gamers into believer and the party factor of the Switch, while really portable and joycons instantly give you two player action, feels less impactful compared to the Wii.

I could be wrong though, there could be something that I don't appreciate but that the casual market will. I don't see it beating the Wii but I think it can perform significantly stronger than the Wii U, I'm talking 60mil ~ 80 mil LT sales. However, Sony and MS are not gonna lay over and die. Sony is already killing it as the market leader and MS is gearing up for a "counter attack" after a very slow 5-6 months. You could have a PS4/Xb1 + Switch combo but I don't think the casual market gets more than one console at a time, that's more of a hardcore gamer thing and hardcore gamers could not save the Wii U.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:

I don't see it. They created a quality console and they got great first party titles but what is the catch that the casual audience will flock to? It's a weak home console but a strong handheld, so will it compete with the 3DS, which I believe Nintendo said they were still gonna support AND that the Switch was not a successor to the 3DS (could have misread, please correct me if so)

Like ksv mentioned, BotW is a fantastic game...for Nintendo gamers. It will not make non-Nintendo casual gamers into believer and the party factor of the Switch, while really portable and joycons instantly give you two player action, feels less impactful compared to the Wii.

I could be wrong though, there could be something that I don't appreciate but that the casual market will. I don't see it beating the Wii but I think it can perform significantly stronger than the Wii U, I'm talking 60mil ~ 80 mil LT sales. However, Sony and MS are not gonna lay over and die. Sony is already killing it as the market leader and MS is gearing up for a "counter attack" after a very slow 5-6 months. You could have a PS4/Xb1 + Switch combo but I don't think the casual market gets more than one console at a time, that's more of a hardcore gamer thing and hardcore gamers could not save the Wii U.

3DS its in 7. year on market and it will be dead next year, and yes Switch is successor to 3DS also (maybe not exactly in current form factor, most likely we will have Switch Mini/Pocket), point about Switch is that is aiming handheld and home console market in same time, that wasn't case with any previous Nintendo hardware.

BotW is fantastic game for every gamer not just for Nintendo gamers, game cant be one of best games ever with meta score of 97 if only is for Nintendo gamers. You can bet that BotW is selling Switch to non Nintendo games also, I saw lots comments of that people saying that BotW is their first Zelda ever.