By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

Short term it doesn't mean anything. This is called "pumping" and all traders do it for stocks that they buy low. The logic is to advertise for a given stock, talking it up and making said stock sound like an extremely solid investment. You're basically "pumping" up its value with nothing but air. The casual/general market invests in the stock, inflating the cost per share, and then you sell your shares and make off with profit.

In this particular case Nintendo truly might be onto something big with the Switch. I feel that there's a strong possibility. But yeah, as far as the stock market is concerned, investors would want to pump up Nintendo regardless of their true intention.

Around the Network

Traders also want Nintendo to leave console business and invest in mobile games only. Great guys.

Great numbers, I hope now it is confirmed that Switch is wiiu+3ds succesor.

ksv said:
The question is; what is the killer app?

I remember being quite concerned for Wii U after Nintendo showed NintendoLand on E3; after I played NintendoLand, that concern turned into being certain that the Wii U was not going to be a big success. It was just too convoluted, not at all pick up and play like Wii Sports. Throughout the Wii U's lifecycle it continued to baffle me why Nintendo came up with the dual screen concept on the hardware side, since they never came with any compelling software for it.

Over to the Switch: BoTW is the best game I have ever played, but it appeals to a relatively small audience compared to many other franchises. Of course it's a system seller, but Zelda is a 5-10 million seller franchise.

1-2 Switch is more Wii Sports-like than NintendoLand, but it's still nowhere close. You could see someone play Wii Sports tennis for 5 seconds and get it, it was instantely intuitive just like other mass market hits/fads (Guitar Hero for example).

Also; how does this system work for kids? I dont let my 5 year old near the Switch i handheld mode, the thing is too damn fragile. Older kids, sure, but I don't see this under the Christmas tree of the traditional gameboy/ds crowd.

The Switch is a great system, but so far I see it appealing to too few people to be a Wii level success. The marketing from Nintendo is also clearly aimed at adults 20-40.

Zelda appelas to a small audience?No way in hell.Its not as big as GTA or COD, or even Mario, but it appeals to many:Actually I have seen here and there people that usually dont care for Nintendo getting interested in the Switch due to BOTW.Plus the game dosent need to carry all the weight on its own, simply because it will get support with mk, Splatoon, XC 2, etc.BOWT was supposed to get people enthusiastic for the game and at the launched, and it did that and more.

Now, wether it will reach Wii levels or not, its an entirely different matter.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Miyamotoo said:
Areym said:

I don't see it. They created a quality console and they got great first party titles but what is the catch that the casual audience will flock to? It's a weak home console but a strong handheld, so will it compete with the 3DS, which I believe Nintendo said they were still gonna support AND that the Switch was not a successor to the 3DS (could have misread, please correct me if so)

Like ksv mentioned, BotW is a fantastic game...for Nintendo gamers. It will not make non-Nintendo casual gamers into believer and the party factor of the Switch, while really portable and joycons instantly give you two player action, feels less impactful compared to the Wii.

I could be wrong though, there could be something that I don't appreciate but that the casual market will. I don't see it beating the Wii but I think it can perform significantly stronger than the Wii U, I'm talking 60mil ~ 80 mil LT sales. However, Sony and MS are not gonna lay over and die. Sony is already killing it as the market leader and MS is gearing up for a "counter attack" after a very slow 5-6 months. You could have a PS4/Xb1 + Switch combo but I don't think the casual market gets more than one console at a time, that's more of a hardcore gamer thing and hardcore gamers could not save the Wii U.

3DS its in 7. year on market and it will be dead next year, and yes Switch is successor to 3DS also (maybe not exactly in current form factor, most likely we will have Switch Mini/Pocket), point about Switch is that is aiming handheld and home console market in same time, that wasn't case with any previous Nintendo hardware.

BotW is fantastic game for every gamer not just for Nintendo gamers, game cant be one of best games ever with meta score of 97 if only is for Nintendo gamers. You can bet that BotW is selling Switch to non Nintendo games also, I saw lots comments of that people saying that BotW is their first Zelda ever.

I can see that being the case for the 3DS but it's still speculation. It will not bode well for the Switch if it is marketed as a home/handheld combo but struggles to handle the big triple AAA multiplatform titles like GTA6, RDR2, CoD/Battlefields which I think it needs to attract big sales. I don't the specs of the Switch by heart but I'm thinking it would struggle to hand those, which can relegate it to more of a handheld first and foremost, which would be weird as Nintendo initially said the Switch would be a home console first and foremost (has their stance changed?)

So that's also wild speculation on my part, it's still super interesting to have a console such as this and whether it succeed or fails, it will certainly teach the industry some valuable lessons. Let's hope nintendo finds a winning condition for the Switch and plays to that strenght. I still think it will ultimately do a lot of good for Nintendo

On the topic of zelda, I still don't see BotW winning over the hearts of the non-nintendo gamers in masse (I assume a huge amount of sales on release are more than likely the dedicated nintendo crowd) although it certainly should, it's a great game and probably the best launch Nintendo could have hoped for.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Well....I hope so, but it's going to take much more than stock indication to do so. I'll excuse the launch thus far due to Zelda and the overall "Soft Launch" of the system but the proving grounds start in the summer up to the holidays.

1,2 Switch is no Wii Sports...

The biggest danger to Nintendo is selling a lot of Hardware but players buying just a couple of software. They can't output one Zelda BotW every year.

Specialy for a machine that does only one thing better than dozens of competitors.

Areym said:
Miyamotoo said:

3DS its in 7. year on market and it will be dead next year, and yes Switch is successor to 3DS also (maybe not exactly in current form factor, most likely we will have Switch Mini/Pocket), point about Switch is that is aiming handheld and home console market in same time, that wasn't case with any previous Nintendo hardware.

BotW is fantastic game for every gamer not just for Nintendo gamers, game cant be one of best games ever with meta score of 97 if only is for Nintendo gamers. You can bet that BotW is selling Switch to non Nintendo games also, I saw lots comments of that people saying that BotW is their first Zelda ever.

I can see that being the case for the 3DS but it's still speculation. It will not bode well for the Switch if it is marketed as a home/handheld combo but struggles to handle the big triple AAA multiplatform titles like GTA6, RDR2, CoD/Battlefields which I think it needs to attract big sales. I don't the specs of the Switch by heart but I'm thinking it would struggle to hand those, which can relegate it to more of a handheld first and foremost, which would be weird as Nintendo initially said the Switch would be a home console first and foremost (has their stance changed?)

On the topic of zelda, I still don't see BotW winning over the hearts of the non-nintendo gamers in masse (on release, a huge amount of sales are more than likely the dedicated nintendo crowd) although it certainly should, it's a great game and probably the best launch Nintendo could have hoped for.

Nintendo was very clear about having one unified platform and not divided like before on separate handheld plattform and separate home console plattform, we will have multiple devices that will be part of Switch family, something similar you have with 3DS, and that totaly make sense because they struggled supporting 3DS and Wii U in same time. DS/Wii/3DS didn't also had most of those games and they were much weaker than their competition, saying that if Switch continue selling great we will seen more bigger 3rd party games on Switch, Switch hardware tehnicaly can handle downported PS4/XB1 games.

Like I wrote, Zelda BotW already winning some of non-Nintendo gamers, and that number will be only larger with more must have titles and word of mouth. Also hybrid concept itself (using it like real home console or like real handheld) will win lotsa people, its much better/more apealing concept than 3DS (not to mention Wii U).

Dark_Feanor said:
1,2 Switch is no Wii Sports...

The biggest danger to Nintendo is selling a lot of Hardware but players buying just a couple of software. They can't output one Zelda BotW every year.

Specialy for a machine that does only one thing better than dozens of competitors.

1,2 Switch is not Wii Sports but fact is that Zelda BotW is one of best launch games ever.

They dont need evre year Zelda BotW (let's be honest, critically acclaimed games like Zelda BotW are usually one game per generation), but just in its 9 months Switch will have couple of must have titles beside Zelda BotW, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, maybe even some other game that still isnt annuced, they are chances for Pokemon this year.

Biggest advantage of Switch is that will be bought by home console users and handheld users, that wasn't case with any previous Nintendo console.

Mnementh said:

Miyamotoo said:

Since the Switch went on sale on March 3, the Kyoto-based game maker outperformed the broader Japanese stock market by 20 percentage points through Thursday. That’s more than double the 8.9 percentage point outperformance during an equal time period that followed the Wii launch in 2006. It’s also far ahead of the nearly 30 point lag shares suffered in 2012 after the disastrous launch of the Wii U, which went on to become Nintendo’s s worst-selling home console in history.

That comparison is ridiculous. As the reference is the day before launch, expectations are priced into the reference. For the Wii the expectations were high before launch, so it's shares were already traded high on launch day. WiiU obviously was after launch below expectations, Switch is above. But I doubt the expectations were as high as with Wii to begin with.

Where did you get this mate because expectations for the Wii were far from high people back then were predicting that gen to be the one Nintendo does a SEGA.