By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

Wii didnt manage to make 100m just because one single game (Wii Sports), there was Wii Fit, Mario Kart and NSMB, so people that saying that Switch want make Wii numbers just beacuse there is no Wii Sports like game on Switch are wrong (for the record I dont say it will make 100m but of course it has some chances).

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
EricFabian said:

well, there is a huge trend "PS4 outselling PS2" out there. So why not? Switch started better than Wii anyway

PS4 won't outsell the PS2 as well.

Well that's easier to predict because PS4 is 3.5 years on market, while Switch is only one month on market and still all options are open.

BraLoD said:
It won't happen, don't do that to yourselves.

shhh....let them do it...the youngins need to learn someday...

BraLoD said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well that's easier to predict because PS4 is 3.5 years on market, while Switch is only one month on market and still all options are open.

Have been saying it wouldn't outsell the PS2 by the time it was released.

Both PS2 and Wii cases were not common, and neither the PS4 or the Switch shows any signs of being similar cases, even if the sales were tracking ahead.

So yeah, it won't happen, for neither of them.

PS4 will outsell the Wii, Switch is still indeed early to know, but it's not another Wii.

Well it very hard to outsell 155m, but otseling 100m is of course easier task.

It will be hard for Switch to outsold Wii, but definitely is too early to know for sure, but initial signs about sales and demand are all very positive.

I find the articles talking about Switch outselling the Wii lifetime sales to be just silly. We're one month in! Sure it was a great first month and there is obvious huge demand for the Switch but saying it might outsell the Wii is just ridiculous at this point. I think it has a good shot at outselling the Wii, but it could also only sell like 50 million, who knows.
After like 3 years on the market when the Wii was still selling record breaking numbers it looked like it could sell 150 million, but then the sales suddenly dried up and it limped it's way to just over 100 million as the falling prices of the 360 and PS3 kept them going long enough to actually both have really good lifetime sales even though the Wii had been destroying them in sales for the first few years.

Anyway, given that the Switch should combine their handheld and console markets, and it isn't a confusing and kinda awkward concept like the Wii U, I think it'll bring it the majority of 3DS players eventually and the console-side of its market will be a lot bigger than the Wii U. Not to mention I think it'll bring in a lot of new people like the Wii did, though far less than the Wii. For example, the last two consoles I bought were the Wii and then 360. I had no interest in buying any of the current consoles. I kinda assumed I'd never buy a system again, but after Nintendo announced the Switch that ignited my desire to buy a console for the first time in like 8 years, and I'll definitely get a Switch in the next year after Mario comes out.

Predicting it to outsell the Wii after its first month is dumb. But I could definitely see it selling over 100 million if they get consistent third party support, don't have game droughts, and in a couple years lower the price down to low 200's to a handheld-like price tag that will get the 3DS owners to switch (pun intended!)

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
i think alot of people on this site dont understand what a "casual" gamer is.

its the 8 year old boy who plays Minecraft & Skylanders. the 12 year old girl who plays Just Dance & Style Savvy. the 19 year old college kid who plays Call of Duty or FIFA with his roommates after class. the mom who plays Mario Kart to bond with her kids. the the lapsed gamer who doesnt play nearly as much as they used to because of work/family/etc but still plays occasionally to wind down and relax. and yes its the grandma who plays Wii Fit to try getting in shape.

all the comments like, "Switch cant sell Wii numbers without a Wii Sports level success", just dont make sense.

what a device needs in order to be a "casual" hit is to have an accessible/convenient concept with an effective marketing/advertising campaign, a price point that the market finds acceptable for what the device offers and a steady flow of software that appeals to multiple demographics.

whether or not Switch meets all these criteria and will be a huge success remains to be seen but considering that 3DS+Wii U will reach 85 million while not hitting all those critera than i dont think 100 million is out of the question.

"The 12 year old girl who plays Just Dance and Style Savvy" - OK well that crowd has diminished significantly. Also why can't we have dilenations, I'm sorry but the 19 year old playing Call of Duty sure as hell is fucking different from the soccer mom that plays Mario Kart once a month for 15 minutes. These are not the same audience. 

You need to have a Wii Sports driver to have Wii type success I'm sorry but accessibility + marketing alone does not do it, every platform has "casual" games by your definition and smartphones are much easier and cheaper to play/use than Switch is (more accessible). 

There's no way the Wii would've sold 100 million without Wii Sports/Fit. 

It's like saying you can be a supermodel without being good looking ... yeah maybe I guess, I would say maybe look into a different profession. 

Switch is finding success appealling to core gamers and that's fine. Doesn't mean it has to sell like the Wii either, the Wii overall IMO was not a success that people make it out to be because Nintendo was not able to iterate on such an unreliable audience base. So they had short term success but long term basically have nothing to show for it as that audience abandoned them when they could get their hands on free games on their phones/tablets. If you're only going to have an audience for 4 years and then they ditch you, that's not a sustainable business model in this industry. 

If Switch sells "only" 70 million but has a more reliable fan base that doesn't bail out like the Wii Sports/Fit crowd did for Switch future iterations, then an arguement can be made in the long run really which approach was more successful. I'd rather have 70 million that I know will be back for my next system than 100 million where 85 million of them bail out because they got tired of mini-games for $50. 

thats exactly my point, "casual" is way too broad of a term and encompasses multiple demographics.

I never said Wii would have sold 100 million without Wii Sports/Fit so i have no idea why you brought that up.

terrible analogy that makes no sense, i said a console doesnt have to have a single game as big as Wii Sports in order to have Wii level success. PS1, PS2, GB, DS all sold better than Wii and none of them had an 80+ million seller like Wii Sports.

the rest of your post really has nothing to do with what i said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

"The 12 year old girl who plays Just Dance and Style Savvy" - OK well that crowd has diminished significantly. Also why can't we have dilenations, I'm sorry but the 19 year old playing Call of Duty sure as hell is fucking different from the soccer mom that plays Mario Kart once a month for 15 minutes. These are not the same audience. 

You need to have a Wii Sports driver to have Wii type success I'm sorry but accessibility + marketing alone does not do it, every platform has "casual" games by your definition and smartphones are much easier and cheaper to play/use than Switch is (more accessible). 

There's no way the Wii would've sold 100 million without Wii Sports/Fit. 

It's like saying you can be a supermodel without being good looking ... yeah maybe I guess, I would say maybe look into a different profession. 

Switch is finding success appealling to core gamers and that's fine. Doesn't mean it has to sell like the Wii either, the Wii overall IMO was not a success that people make it out to be because Nintendo was not able to iterate on such an unreliable audience base. So they had short term success but long term basically have nothing to show for it as that audience abandoned them when they could get their hands on free games on their phones/tablets. If you're only going to have an audience for 4 years and then they ditch you, that's not a sustainable business model in this industry. 

If Switch sells "only" 70 million but has a more reliable fan base that doesn't bail out like the Wii Sports/Fit crowd did for Switch future iterations, then an arguement can be made in the long run really which approach was more successful. I'd rather have 70 million that I know will be back for my next system than 100 million where 85 million of them bail out because they got tired of mini-games for $50. 

thats exactly my point, "casual" is way too broad of a term and encompasses multiple demographics.

I never said Wii would have sold 100 million without Wii Sports/Fit so i have no idea why you brought that up.

terrible analogy that makes no sense, i said a console doesnt have to have a single game as big as Wii Sports in order to have Wii level success. PS1, PS2, GB, DS all sold better than Wii and none of them had an 80+ million seller like Wii Sports.

the rest of your post really has nothing to do with what i said.

Actually if you look historically at every 100+ million selling console, they generally do have a new type of breakout success that drives hardware sales to ridiculous heights. 

Game Boy - Tetris and Pokemon

Playstation - More conceptual, but the idea of marketing a game console to young adults driven by new IP like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy VII for the West (most people had not played the FF series before in the West).

Playstation 2 - Grand Theft Auto 3 ... while not a new IP exactly, most people hadn't played a GTA game before and moving the IP into 3D made the violence shock factor more tanigable and caused a sales explosion. 

Wii - Wii Sports and Wii Fit. 

Nintendo DS - Nintendogs, Brain Training. 

PS4 I think may be the first system in gaming history to sell 100 million without anything really new that redefined the industry, but Sony's execution day to day is very strong, Nintendo never has had that kind of discipline. 

100 million doesn't happen just by having a "pretty good" system that has some decent accessibility. You generally need a new software craze to drive such levels of adoption. Usually two actually. 

Okay nice data but what is the correlation of stock price to console sales? You could statistically derive a coefficient with much more metadata but real world situations and economic climate can turn sentiment in no time. Given the sales estimates at the end of the post we see truly what this thought process is; speculation.

The 100M+ sold are very rare. 3 consoles and 2 handhelds have ever crossed that milestone. I don't think that will happen again anytime soon.

KLXVER said:
The 100M+ sold are very rare. 3 consoles and 2 handhelds have ever crossed that milestone. I don't think that will happen again anytime soon.

Playstation 4 will do it easily. Everything else I agree, it's a tough hurdle, you generally need something huge to break out ... a Pokemon, a Wii Sports, a Grand Theft Auto 3 (with exclusivity).