By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:
The 100M+ sold are very rare. 3 consoles and 2 handhelds have ever crossed that milestone. I don't think that will happen again anytime soon.

Playstation 4 will do it easily. Everything else I agree, it's a tough hurdle, you generally need something huge to break out ... a Pokemon, a Wii Sports, a Grand Theft Auto 3 (with exclusivity). 

If anyone will do it, it probably will be the PS4, but easily? I dont know about that. Maybe if the PS5 doesnt come out until 2020.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Soundwave said:

Playstation 4 will do it easily. Everything else I agree, it's a tough hurdle, you generally need something huge to break out ... a Pokemon, a Wii Sports, a Grand Theft Auto 3 (with exclusivity). 

If anyone will do it, it probably will be the PS4, but easily? I dont know about that. Maybe if the PS5 doesnt come out until 2020.

They're past 55 million and haven't even dropped to $250 yet nor has a new GTA game come out. 

I don't think PS5 is coming out any time soon either, it doesn't benefit Sony, they have this generation on lock and now it's time to harvest the benefits of that. Plus PS4 Pro also downplays the need for a PS5 anytime soon. 

Even if PS5 launched in 2019, I think PS4 would sell for quite a while longer, the graphics capability of that device are more than good enough for most people and the library will be hard to beat by the PS5 for years. 

Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:

They're past 55 million and haven't even dropped to $250 yet nor has a new GTA game come out. 

I don't think PS5 is coming out any time soon either, it doesn't benefit Sony, they have this generation on lock and now it's time to harvest the benefits of that. Plus PS4 Pro also downplays the need for a PS5 anytime soon. 

Even if PS5 launched in 2019, I think PS4 would sell for quite a while longer, the graphics capability of that device are more than good enough for most people and the library will be hard to beat by the PS5 for years. 

Well its hard to say at this point. The Pro was not needed at all, but Sony seemed to think so. Im not so sure they are going to be comfortable with MS having the most powerful console on the market. Even if the PS4 sells 1 million consoles a month, it will still take them almost 4 years to reach 100M. Its possible sure, but I dont think they will just easily glide past it.

I always thought the Pro came out specifically for VR.

KLXVER said:
Soundwave said:

Well its hard to say at this point. The Pro was not needed at all, but Sony seemed to think so. Im not so sure they are going to be comfortable with MS having the most powerful console on the market. Even if the PS4 sells 1 million consoles a month, it will still take them almost 4 years to reach 100M. Its possible sure, but I dont think they will just easily glide past it.

Microsoft has to start outselling Sony, and I'm not really convinced that's going to happen anytime soon. The most MS can do is make Sony sweat a bit in the US, but Europe and Japan .... not even a prayer. 

Most people buying a sysetm now are going to choose the system their friends have because they want to play online with their friends. Well that's the PS4 overwhelmingly ... so Sony doesn't have a lot to worry about. MS getting the graphics crown is too little, too late, they should have thought of that 4 years ago when it could have made a difference for them. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:

Microsoft has to start outselling Sony, and I'm not really convinced that's going to happen anytime soon. The most MS can do is make Sony sweat a bit in the US, but Europe and Japan .... not even a prayer. 

True, but they released the Pro without anyone close to them. I just found that to be a bit odd. They must have felt threatened by something.

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

thats exactly my point, "casual" is way too broad of a term and encompasses multiple demographics.

I never said Wii would have sold 100 million without Wii Sports/Fit so i have no idea why you brought that up.

terrible analogy that makes no sense, i said a console doesnt have to have a single game as big as Wii Sports in order to have Wii level success. PS1, PS2, GB, DS all sold better than Wii and none of them had an 80+ million seller like Wii Sports.

the rest of your post really has nothing to do with what i said.

Actually if you look historically at every 100+ million selling console, they generally do have a new type of breakout success that drives hardware sales to ridiculous heights. 

Game Boy - Tetris and Pokemon

Playstation - More conceptual, but the idea of marketing a game console to young adults driven by new IP like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy VII for the West (most people had not played the FF series before in the West).

Playstation 2 - Grand Theft Auto 3 ... while not a new IP exactly, most people hadn't played a GTA game before and moving the IP into 3D made the violence shock factor more tanigable and caused a sales explosion. 

Wii - Wii Sports and Wii Fit. 

Nintendo DS - Nintendogs, Brain Training. 

PS4 I think may be the first system in gaming history to sell 100 million without anything really new that redefined the industry, but Sony's execution day to day is very strong, Nintendo never has had that kind of discipline. 

100 million doesn't happen just by having a "pretty good" system that has some decent accessibility. You generally need a new software craze to drive such levels of adoption. Usually two actually. 

well your arguement falls to pieces when you list a whole bunch of games that werent nearly as big as Wii Sports was. i said that a Wii Sports level success (80+ million) is not mandatory to sell 100 million consoles. your response to that was listing a bunch of 20-30 million sellers. yes, obviously big games are needed for big sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Actually if you look historically at every 100+ million selling console, they generally do have a new type of breakout success that drives hardware sales to ridiculous heights. 

Game Boy - Tetris and Pokemon

Playstation - More conceptual, but the idea of marketing a game console to young adults driven by new IP like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy VII for the West (most people had not played the FF series before in the West).

Playstation 2 - Grand Theft Auto 3 ... while not a new IP exactly, most people hadn't played a GTA game before and moving the IP into 3D made the violence shock factor more tanigable and caused a sales explosion. 

Wii - Wii Sports and Wii Fit. 

Nintendo DS - Nintendogs, Brain Training. 

PS4 I think may be the first system in gaming history to sell 100 million without anything really new that redefined the industry, but Sony's execution day to day is very strong, Nintendo never has had that kind of discipline. 

100 million doesn't happen just by having a "pretty good" system that has some decent accessibility. You generally need a new software craze to drive such levels of adoption. Usually two actually. 

well your arguement falls to pieces when you list a whole bunch of games that werent nearly as big as Wii Sports was. i said that a Wii Sports level success (80+ million) is not mandatory to sell 100 million consoles. your response to that was listing a bunch of 20-30 million sellers. yes, obviously big games are needed for big sales.

20-30 million sellers in themselves are very rare, Wii Sports is a bit of a bloated case because it was bundled so heavily. 

The important thing too is those 20-30 million come from a *new audience* too, not just the established base you were going to get anyway. That's the difference from a 3DS that sells 70 million and one that maybe could have hit 100 million. It never got the 2 games to drive hardware sales to a new audience on that level. It got all the main Nintendo IP ... Pokemon, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. but that only got them to about 65 million LTD after six full years. 

Nintendo has not been able to make *that* game for a while though. They thought Wii Music would be huge. Nope. Nintendogs + cats could carry the 3DS. Nope. Nintendo Land would carry the Wii U. Nope. 1,2 Switch for Switch ... not really, it's selling about on par with Nintendo Land. They have not adjusted well after the smartphone boom happened and keep trying to go back to that extreme casual audience thinking they want to spend $50 on a video game (on top of $300 for the system).

Splatoon has been their biggest "new" success, but it's not that tier of success yet, maybe they can push Splatoon 2 extra hard, I dunno. In the US/Europe, Splatoon didn't really cause a boost in Wii U sales at all though, it was just mainly in Japan where we saw a modest uptick. 

Particularily for Nintendo and Microsoft it's very hard for them to have hardware that can hit 100+ million without new hit games that drive an audience to them that wouldn't otherwise buy their systems. Sony is a little bit of a different story, and they simply execute and have better focus than Nintendo/MS do but even they usually need something new to breakout in order to carry platform sales past what they generally would be. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

20-30 million sellers in themselves are very rare, Wii Sports is a bit of a bloated case because it was bundled so heavily. 

The important thing too is those 20-30 million come from a *new audience* too, not just the established base you were going to get anyway. That's the difference from a 3DS that sells 70 million and one that maybe could have hit 100 million. It never got the 2 games to drive hardware sales to a new audience on that level. It got all the main Nintendo IP ... Pokemon, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. but that only got them to about 65 million LTD after six full years. 

Nintendo has not been able to make *that* game for a while though. They thought Wii Music would be huge. Nope. Nintendogs + cats could carry the 3DS. Nope. Nintendo Land would carry the Wii U. Nope. 1,2 Switch for Switch ... not really, it's selling about on par with Nintendo Land. They have not adjusted well after the smartphone boom happened and keep trying to go back to that extreme casual audience thinking they want to spend $50 on a video game (on top of $300 for the system).

Splatoon has been their biggest "new" success, but it's not that tier of success yet, maybe they can push Splatoon 2 extra hard, I dunno. In the US/Europe, Splatoon didn't really cause a boost in Wii U sales at all though, it was just mainly in Japan where we saw a modest uptick. 

Particularily for Nintendo and Microsoft it's very hard for them to have hardware that can hit 100+ million without new hit games that drive an audience to them that wouldn't otherwise buy their systems. Sony is a little bit of a different story, and they simply execute and have better focus than Nintendo/MS do but even they usually need something new to breakout in order to carry platform sales past what they generally would be. 

You are really good at arguing against things people never said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

You are really good at arguing against things people never said.

Point remains -- 100 mill is likely not happening with a new breakout IP that sells *a lot* and brings in an audience that wouldn't otherwise in most likelyhood have purchased the system. 

Wii Sports obviously did that for the Wii, but it's not the only singular example of that. 

1,2 Switch is basically Nintendo's attempt at making a Wii Sports though and it's nowhere close, that's all I'm saying is they don't right now have *that* game.

All the Pokemons and Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and 2D Mario and 3D Mario only got the 3DS to 65 million even after an extended life cycle of 6 full years. So if the Switch is more or less going to rely on these IP plus Splatoon .... I dunno if that makes up the difference from 65 mill to 100 mill. You need to have something huge break out and Nintendo has not had a lot of luck trying to find that game since the industry changed 6-7 years ago. 

That said as I've said before I don't think 100 million in itself is that big of a deal. I would rather have 70 million on the basis of a loyal customer base that plays video games intently rather than a wishy washy crowd of 100 million that could jump ship at any moment.