By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Traders Signal Switch Could Be Bigger Hit Than the Wii

I doubt it will get close to Wii numbers in terms of sales, honestly

But this is good to see

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Dark_Feanor said:
1,2 Switch is no Wii Sports...

The biggest danger to Nintendo is selling a lot of Hardware but players buying just a couple of software. They can't output one Zelda BotW every year.

Specialy for a machine that does only one thing better than dozens of competitors.

1,2 Switch is not Wii Sports but fact is that Zelda BotW is one of best launch games ever.

They dont need evre year Zelda BotW (let's be honest, critically acclaimed games like Zelda BotW are usually one game per generation), but just in its 9 months Switch will have couple of must have titles beside Zelda BotW, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, maybe even some other game that still isnt annuced, they are chances for Pokemon this year.

Biggest advantage of Switch is that will be bought by home console users and handheld users, that wasn't case with any previous Nintendo console.

At the same time PS4 and XO will have: RDR 2, Destiny 2, New Assassins Creed, New COD, Battlefront 2, and 2 or 3 AAA exclusive each.

SpokenTruth said:
Dark_Feanor said:

At the same time PS4 and XO will have: RDR 2, Destiny 2, New Assassins Creed, New COD, Battlefront 2, and 2 or 3 AAA exclusive each.

What the hell does that have to do with how Switch fares against Wii?  Didn't the Wii have to go against RDR, CoD, Assassin's Creed, GTA, Battlefield, etc....?

Yes, but it had conquered the casual marquet with Wii Sports, a "Blue Ocean".

As good as Zelda is, it has to fight with RDR or The Witcher games. Splatoon is compeating against COD, Destiny and Overwatch...

Dark_Feanor said:
Miyamotoo said:

1,2 Switch is not Wii Sports but fact is that Zelda BotW is one of best launch games ever.

They dont need evre year Zelda BotW (let's be honest, critically acclaimed games like Zelda BotW are usually one game per generation), but just in its 9 months Switch will have couple of must have titles beside Zelda BotW, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, maybe even some other game that still isnt annuced, they are chances for Pokemon this year.

Biggest advantage of Switch is that will be bought by home console users and handheld users, that wasn't case with any previous Nintendo console.

Yes multiplatform games, same like PC also, so!? DS/Wii/3DS did not also had those games, Nintendo hardware sales is are always driven buy Nintendo games and exclusives, not buy multiplatform games.

Dark_Feanor said:
SpokenTruth said:

What the hell does that have to do with how Switch fares against Wii?  Didn't the Wii have to go against RDR, CoD, Assassin's Creed, GTA, Battlefield, etc....?

Yes, but it had conquered the casual marquet with Wii Sports, a "Blue Ocean".

As good as Zelda is, it has to fight with RDR or The Witcher games. Splatoon is compeating against COD, Destiny and Overwatch...

You do realise Those games can be played on almost any platform, but you can play games like Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon...only on Nintendo platform. You do realise that DS/Wii/3DS did not also had those multiplatform games.

Around the Network

You can always rely on shareholders to turn a positive into a negative by raising expectations absurdly high; no doubt they'll be disappointed even if the Switch proves exceptionally popular simply because it didn't reach "wii" levels which, btw, were rather ridiculous.

i think alot of people on this site dont understand what a "casual" gamer is.

its the 8 year old boy who plays Minecraft & Skylanders. the 12 year old girl who plays Just Dance & Style Savvy. the 19 year old college kid who plays Call of Duty or FIFA with his roommates after class. the mom who plays Mario Kart to bond with her kids. the the lapsed gamer who doesnt play nearly as much as they used to because of work/family/etc but still plays occasionally to wind down and relax. and yes its the grandma who plays Wii Fit to try getting in shape.

all the comments like, "Switch cant sell Wii numbers without a Wii Sports level success", just dont make sense.

what a device needs in order to be a "casual" hit is to have an accessible/convenient concept with an effective marketing/advertising campaign, a price point that the market finds acceptable for what the device offers and a steady flow of software that appeals to multiple demographics.

whether or not Switch meets all these criteria and will be a huge success remains to be seen but considering that 3DS+Wii U will reach 85 million while not hitting all those critera than i dont think 100 million is out of the question.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wasn't the Wii heavily understocked on release because Nintendo didn't know how big//popular i'd be ???

I mean it was a pretty new idea and I think it's fair to say at that time Nintendo were underselling their overall value in the market.

Because the Switch is possibly Nintendo's last hope in the home console market, and because it merges both their markets, it had a pretty decent number of consoles at launch(2 million). So ... how exactly do high sales mean anything?

zorg1000 said:
i think alot of people on this site dont understand what a "casual" gamer is.

its the 8 year old boy who plays Minecraft & Skylanders. the 12 year old girl who plays Just Dance & Style Savvy. the 19 year old college kid who plays Call of Duty or FIFA with his roommates after class. the mom who plays Mario Kart to bond with her kids. the the lapsed gamer who doesnt play nearly as much as they used to because of work/family/etc but still plays occasionally to wind down and relax. and yes its the grandma who plays Wii Fit to try getting in shape.

all the comments like, "Switch cant sell Wii numbers without a Wii Sports level success", just dont make sense.

what a device needs in order to be a "casual" hit is to have an accessible/convenient concept with an effective marketing/advertising campaign, a price point that the market finds acceptable for what the device offers and a steady flow of software that appeals to multiple demographics.

whether or not Switch meets all these criteria and will be a huge success remains to be seen but considering that 3DS+Wii U will reach 85 million while not hitting all those critera than i dont think 100 million is out of the question.

"The 12 year old girl who plays Just Dance and Style Savvy" - OK well that crowd has diminished significantly. Also why can't we have dilenations, I'm sorry but the 19 year old playing Call of Duty sure as hell is fucking different from the soccer mom that plays Mario Kart once a month for 15 minutes. These are not the same audience. 

You need to have a Wii Sports driver to have Wii type success I'm sorry but accessibility + marketing alone does not do it, every platform has "casual" games by your definition and smartphones are much easier and cheaper to play/use than Switch is (more accessible). 

There's no way the Wii would've sold 100 million without Wii Sports/Fit. 

It's like saying you can be a supermodel without being good looking ... yeah maybe I guess, I would say maybe look into a different profession. 

Switch is finding success appealling to core gamers and that's fine. Doesn't mean it has to sell like the Wii either, the Wii overall IMO was not a success that people make it out to be because Nintendo was not able to iterate on such an unreliable audience base. So they had short term success but long term basically have nothing to show for it as that audience abandoned them when they could get their hands on free games on their phones/tablets. If you're only going to have an audience for 4 years and then they ditch you, that's not a sustainable business model in this industry. 

If Switch sells "only" 70 million but has a more reliable fan base that doesn't bail out like the Wii Sports/Fit crowd did for Switch future iterations, then an arguement can be made in the long run really which approach was more successful. I'd rather have 70 million that I know will be back for my next system than 100 million where 85 million of them bail out because they got tired of mini-games for $50. 

BraLoD said:
It won't happen, don't do that to yourselves.

well, there is a huge trend "PS4 outselling PS2" out there. So why not? Switch started better than Wii anyway

Click HERE and be happy