By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People's reaction to negative Zelda reviews reminded me of this gem.

I haven't been able to read the review, and still can't access it, but haven't been a fan of Jim Sterling's work on Destructoid. The important point is though he shouldn't be denied a platform because you disagree with what he says, especially not when that involves deliberately crashing his website.

Disagree with him? Explain why, write a blog, comment on the review, post something to Youtube. It is an age-old problem with gaming, though. Only last month the US Gamer reviewer that awarded Horizon 2.5/5 received death-threats and insults for their trouble. It's a sign of the immaturity still there in the medium, and the license to cause harm the anonymity of the internet seemingly provides for some people.

Movie reviewers are able to have contrary opinions on major films, whether it's the latest hotly praised blockbuster or an Oscar darling. Game reviewers should be afforded the same freedom.

Around the Network
Asriel said:
I haven't been able to read the review, and still can't access it, but haven't been a fan of Jim Sterling's work on Destructoid. The important point is though he shouldn't be denied a platform because you disagree with what he says, especially not when that involves deliberately crashing his website.

Disagree with him? Explain why, write a blog, comment on the review, post something to Youtube. It is an age-old problem with gaming, though. Only last month the US Gamer reviewer that awarded Horizon 2.5/5 received death-threats and insults for their trouble. It's a sign of the immaturity still there in the medium, and the license to cause harm the anonymity of the internet seemingly provides for some people.

Movie reviewers are able to have contrary opinions on major films, whether it's the latest hotly praised blockbuster or an Oscar darling. Game reviewers should be afforded the same freedom.

The death threats and so on are bad, but I see DDOS'ing as nothing more than a peaceful protest. It's like if you protest outside a governement building to make life harder for politicians so that they notice and listen to what you want to say.

A DDOS to me is about as peaceful as you can get. People clearly did not like what he did and thus are doing a peaceful method of making him aware of it. Flooding his comments in youtube he can ignore or disable. Shutting down his websites by DDOS is something that will affect him and make him take notice.

irstupid said:

A DDOS to me is about as peaceful as you can get. People clearly did not like what he did and thus are doing a peaceful method of making him aware of it. Flooding his comments in youtube he can ignore or disable. Shutting down his websites by DDOS is something that will affect him and make him take notice.

Isnt that Illegal tho. 

irstupid said:
Asriel said:

The death threats and so on are bad, but I see DDOS'ing as nothing more than a peaceful protest. It's like if you protest outside a governement building to make life harder for politicians so that they notice and listen to what you want to say.

No, it's not peaceful, it's totalitarian.

It is an act committed by weak and selfish people. You don't prevent a man from expressing himself even when what he says doesn't please you.

The problem with certain reviews is that they have blatantly incorrect information listed as negative aspects of a game. It's not so much the score as it is the content of the review, which in Jim's case, had a lot of misinformation in it. With that said, people should just accept his bias and move on. Not everyone is going to be fair.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
irstupid said:

Isnt that Illegal tho. 

Peaceful <> legal

violent <> illegal

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It was hardly a negative review though. 7/10 is still considered good.

think-man said:

It's not the number its the content.

What baffles if the condescending attitude and fake moral superiority of many users in this site who were clearly not interested in Zelda in the first place.

irstupid said:
think-man said:

It's not the number its the content.

Which parts are troubling you?