By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People's reaction to negative Zelda reviews reminded me of this gem.

GOWTLOZ said:
irstupid said:

Yes, btu MGS5 is not Konami, it is Kojima. Let's see his reviews of any Konami game after Kojima left.

But the reason his review is being lambasted is not the 7 score. I and many others could care less about the 7. I mean there are lower scroes and the game is still a 97. Not many games can say that.

The reason he is being lambasted is because of the falacies in his review. He comes off, and always does, as a condescending jerk. He talks like he is superior to everyone else and all other reviewers adn gamers are blinded and wrong and he will tell us how he is right. Whether that is schtick or how he truly is, the point is, if you are going to come off like that you need to make sure there are no holes in your argument. There are a ton of holes in his critiques for this game. And any factual things are in the total nitpick area. Then the fact he comes out with a jimquisition less than a day after his review further proves he gave the score on purpose to get a reaction.

See I don't give a crap about the 6/10 or the other low one. Whatevs. They are nobody sites and as I said the game is a 97. Dont' care if 97 or 98, I have the game and I love it. But this Jim guy is a known bigger guy and thus its annoying when a person who shoudl be professional is doing a click bait. But I guess look at our MSM, they are click bait machines.

His review is very professional and validates his points. I even saw a clip of Zelda gameplay and that weapon durability thing looks annoying and constantly interrupts the flow of gameplay. Also the world looks empty compared to most modern open world games.

Jim is sassy but he always has a point. I have disagreed with his reviews such s Assassin's Creed 2 which he gave a 4.5 out of ten and is one of my favourite games of all time and Killzone 3 which he gave a 10 out of ten but I would give an 8 out of ten. Still the opinion he presented inthose reviews were accurate, like his complaints about Assassin's Creed 2's combat was accurate though that didn't bother me in the game but it did bother him. Also his Horizon Zero Dawn review is accurate and I agree with most of what he said in his review.

That's funny because it was his Assassin's Creed 2 review that first endeared him to me. Everyone was salivating over the game, but Sterling pointed out that its huge open world was populated almost exclusively with filler.

Did he really give Killzone 3 a 10/10? Dude is all over the place.

About BotW: I strongly urge you to play the game. Watching a YouTube clip doesn't do the game justice. Trust me, the game is far from empty. And breakable weapons don't interrupt the flow of gameplay. I'd argue they make combat all the more interesting, unpredictable, and spontaneous. Your mileage may vary, though.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
I only played Zombi U after it was ported to the PC. It was not a bad game by any means, but it was a bit on the mediocre side. The atmosphere was pretty good but gameplay wise... I dont know, I constantly felt it was missing stuff, and the control scheme was icky (I played it with keyboard/mouse I think). Maybe I will give it another chance seeing that the game is now ~15 euros or less on the PS4 at my local store.

My question is: does it get better after the first couple of hours?

It is easily one of my top 5 on WiiU. I think to really love the gameplay you have to have a gamepad. Using that is a key element to the survival horror / anxiety behind the game. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:
GOWTLOZ said:

His review is very professional and validates his points. I even saw a clip of Zelda gameplay and that weapon durability thing looks annoying and constantly interrupts the flow of gameplay. Also the world looks empty compared to most modern open world games.

Jim is sassy but he always has a point. I have disagreed with his reviews such s Assassin's Creed 2 which he gave a 4.5 out of ten and is one of my favourite games of all time and Killzone 3 which he gave a 10 out of ten but I would give an 8 out of ten. Still the opinion he presented inthose reviews were accurate, like his complaints about Assassin's Creed 2's combat was accurate though that didn't bother me in the game but it did bother him. Also his Horizon Zero Dawn review is accurate and I agree with most of what he said in his review.

That's funny because it was his Assassin's Creed 2 review that first endeared him to me. Everyone was salivating over the game, but Sterling pointed out that its huge open world was populated almost exclusively with filler.

About BotW: I strongly urge you to play the game. Watching a YouTube clip doesn't do the game justice. Trust me, the game is far from empty. And breakable weapons don't interrupt the flow of gameplay. I'd argue they make combat all the more interesting, unpredictable, and spontaneous. Your mileage may vary, though.

I watched a video recently about someone talking about Breath of the Wild and it's open world and concept of adventure and survival and it has applied to my experience as well. No matter where you are, even on an open field, you'll be constantly thinking. Where do you wanna go, what do you have in your inventory, did you cook enough food, how's your health, is there enemies up ahead, is there something on the right/left, how are my weapons holding up, etc.

I think personally the breakable weapons adds onto the fight for survival. You c ant be reckless fighting and get away with it like past games. I even didn't mind the few limits of the Master Sword because I know it would break the game.

GOWTLOZ said:
irstupid said:

Yes, btu MGS5 is not Konami, it is Kojima. Let's see his reviews of any Konami game after Kojima left.

But the reason his review is being lambasted is not the 7 score. I and many others could care less about the 7. I mean there are lower scroes and the game is still a 97. Not many games can say that.

The reason he is being lambasted is because of the falacies in his review. He comes off, and always does, as a condescending jerk. He talks like he is superior to everyone else and all other reviewers adn gamers are blinded and wrong and he will tell us how he is right. Whether that is schtick or how he truly is, the point is, if you are going to come off like that you need to make sure there are no holes in your argument. There are a ton of holes in his critiques for this game. And any factual things are in the total nitpick area. Then the fact he comes out with a jimquisition less than a day after his review further proves he gave the score on purpose to get a reaction.

See I don't give a crap about the 6/10 or the other low one. Whatevs. They are nobody sites and as I said the game is a 97. Dont' care if 97 or 98, I have the game and I love it. But this Jim guy is a known bigger guy and thus its annoying when a person who shoudl be professional is doing a click bait. But I guess look at our MSM, they are click bait machines.

Kind of ironic that you point out some of his reviews that are contrary to what you would give games that you have played, yet you say based on clips you have seen of the game his BotW scoris fair.

Just one more person who hasn't played the game jumping on the Sterling bandwagon.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
GOWTLOZ said:

I don't think combat would be interesting if my weapons break in a few hits. That would encourage me to rather than fighting enemies avoid combat situations. ALos weapons shattering just sounds ludicrous.

Breaking weapons are there in the Souls games but the weapons are still intact, they just do way less damage and the damage decreases with each hit. Also the weapons still have significant durability so that doesn't put me away from combat. That is the way to do it in my opinion. I could be wrong as I haven't played the game.

You have a really weird taste in gaming though, liking Killzone 1 more than 2 and 3, Infamous 1 more than 2 and Second Son, God of War 1 more than any of its sequels, Uncharted 2 more than 3, now not liking Assassin's Creed 2. I really can't trust you xD

I'm kidding btw but still you and I have vastly different tastes in gaming even when we do like the same franchises.

irstupid said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Kind of ironic that you point out some of his reviews that are contrary to what you would give games that you have played, yet you say based on clips you have seen of the game his BotW scoris fair.

Just one more person who hasn't played the game jumping on the Sterling bandwagon.

I said he makes valid points in all of his reviews. His point about Assassin's Creed 2's terrible side quests and combat are valid and effected his enjoyment of the game significantly but they don't for me even though I would acknowledge that game does have those problems.

See Zelda may not be seven for me like it was for him but I usually agree with his critique and the points he makes even if those are not a much of a huge deal to me or if they are larger deal to me than him. That's why he is one of the best critics he doesn't just skip over various aspects of a game he says them out loud for you to know and his score is just the way he personally gives weightage to those points.

Around the Network

GOWTLOZ said:

I don't think combat would be interesting if my weapons break in a few hits. That would encourage me to rather than fighting enemies avoid combat situations. ALos weapons shattering just sounds ludicrous.

Breaking weapons are there in the Souls games but the weapons are still intact, they just do way less damage and the damage decreases with each hit. Also the weapons still have significant durability so that doesn't put me away from combat. That is the way to do it in my opinion. I could be wrong as I haven't played the game.

You have a really weird taste in gaming though, liking Killzone 1 more than 2 and 3, Infamous 1 more than 2 and Second Son, God of War 1 more than any of its sequels, Uncharted 2 more than 3, now not liking Assassin's Creed 2. I really can't trust you xD

I'm kidding btw but still you and I have vastly different tastes in gaming even when we do like the same franchises.

It's true, my tastes are atypical

But I'm glad we can have a nice debate even though our favorite games are so different :)

Veknoid_Outcast said:

GOWTLOZ said:

It's true, my tastes are atypical

But I'm glad we can have a nice debate even though our favorite games are so different :)

Yes indeed I like discussing games with you and seeing your views on them because your opinions are so different. I like different insights of people who can articulate their opinions well and you are one of them!