By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People's reaction to negative Zelda reviews reminded me of this gem.

d21lewis said:
archer9234 said:

That's not entirly true. My first main goal. Was to get the map fully revealed. You can't do that. Unless you have a minum of 5 hearts, 2 stamina upgrades, some fire, And do the aka lab fire quest. I still had to do things in a certain order. Or was being blocked off, the way I wanted to do the towers. 5 hearts, mainly to deal with 1 hit kills. Or to bypass winter clothing/peppers.

Also, the Yiga hideout does everything it can, to make you follow a certain way, to get the item. It disables saving. It has enemies that can't be beaten. So, you must sneak and deal with the guards, in some other fashion. Besides direct confrontation. Or using quick save. To load up, only where you messed up. I never like sneaking missions. In a game, that is 99% not stealth. The food controls are also bad, for this main mission. The bananas should stay on your hud. And you just press A and drop. Not go threw the cumbersome menu, the game has.

I stealth killed every enemy I'm the Yiga clan area except for one. I whistled and he left the door unguarded so I ran through!

That's not the point I was making. I wanted to just directly fight them. Or that the controls to drop food, was better. I've gotten caught, due to dumb issues with the stealth system. I had it once. Where I was able to engage the instant back kill. The game still read me as caught. And I was still able to kill him. Second, the caught mechanic shouldn't even be in the game. Once you get seen. It needs to just do game over. It's a waste of time, making you think you can try to fight your way through.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
JakDaSnack said:

You can make stamina food or elixirs for that tower.  Guardians can be one shotted by reflected their laser with your shield.

That no one will know. Unless they travel around enough. To understand how to make the elixers. And getting that timing off is hard. Again, need to know the info too. Or people will think they're invincible. If you just start litterly from plateu and go to the farthest one. Without knowing anything. It won't work. That's what I did. The first tower, I was trying to go for; was the top left area. I was planning to work my way back to the starting point. When i entered the areas. I didn't know about manually mixing stuff, or the elixers. I didn't even know you had to cook at certain places, only.

Yup, but that's a preference thing, I like that the game encourages you to talk to npcs, and to try new things. If you follow the basic main storyline until you get the four divine beasts quest, you'll learn about elixirs and food, the guardian thing is an experimentation thing which the game encourages.  It sounds like you would prefer a tutorial that shows you everything from the get go, like on previous zelda's, that's cool if you like that, but not everyone does.  Some people like to figure it out for themselves, and that's the audience this game is geared towards.

Something...Something...Games...Something

archer9234 said:
JakDaSnack said:

You can make stamina food or elixirs for that tower.  Guardians can be one shotted by reflected their laser with your shield.

That no one will know. Unless they travel around enough. To understand how to make the elixers. And getting that timing off is hard. Again, need to know the info too. Or people will think they're invincible. If you just start litterly from plateu and go to the farthest one. Without knowing anything. It won't work. That's what I did. The first tower, I was trying to go for; was the top left area. I was planning to work my way back to the starting point. When i entered the areas. I didn't know about manually mixing stuff, or the elixers. I didn't even know you had to cook at certain places, only. So, I kept getting pushed to the right side. And when I got threw ruta. I was like oh, now I get how to do this. You can probably do everything, if you played the game before. Not, when you're new.

You are grasping at straws. First you will get the info by reading the description of the material. Mix this insect with a monster part etc. Do that and voila, elixir. Second, afaik the old fart will tell you this if you bother to talk to him and read the actual text.

Third, tips are displayed in the loading screen.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JakDaSnack said:
archer9234 said:

That no one will know. Unless they travel around enough. To understand how to make the elixers. And getting that timing off is hard. Again, need to know the info too. Or people will think they're invincible. If you just start litterly from plateu and go to the farthest one. Without knowing anything. It won't work. That's what I did. The first tower, I was trying to go for; was the top left area. I was planning to work my way back to the starting point. When i entered the areas. I didn't know about manually mixing stuff, or the elixers. I didn't even know you had to cook at certain places, only.

Yup, but that's a preference thing, I like that the game encourages you to talk to npcs, and to try new things. If you follow the basic main storyline until you get the four divine beasts quest, you'll learn about elixirs and food, the guardian thing is an experimentation thing which the game encourages.  It sounds like you would prefer a tutorial that shows you everything from the get go, like on previous zelda's, that's cool if you like that, but not everyone does.  Some people like to figure it out for themselves, and that's the audience this game is geared towards.

Yes, but this is open world. If you walk into certain directions, you can miss a lot. Someone here didn't even know you could upgrade your inventory and had over 100 seeds. He simply didn't go to that one small area, on the haneto road. Or certain things won't be in that area. That you need. So the helpful info pickups give you. Isn't there. So you'll get stucl. I didn't want a tutorial. That was the whole point of me doing what I did. The point was: I did get blocked. Because, I didn't know what to do. So than I went back to the main area. By the time I figured it out. How to open up all the rest of the towers. I did 10 shrines, and completed one divine beast.

Peh said:
archer9234 said:

That no one will know. Unless they travel around enough. To understand how to make the elixers. And getting that timing off is hard. Again, need to know the info too. Or people will think they're invincible. If you just start litterly from plateu and go to the farthest one. Without knowing anything. It won't work. That's what I did. The first tower, I was trying to go for; was the top left area. I was planning to work my way back to the starting point. When i entered the areas. I didn't know about manually mixing stuff, or the elixers. I didn't even know you had to cook at certain places, only. So, I kept getting pushed to the right side. And when I got threw ruta. I was like oh, now I get how to do this. You can probably do everything, if you played the game before. Not, when you're new.

You are grasping at straws. First you will get the info by reading the description of the material. Mix this insect with a monster part etc. Do that and voila, elixir. Second, afaik the old fart will tell you this if you bother to talk to him and read the actual text.

If you come across the material. I didn't. Weapons breaking made me avoid most encounters. So that delayed me finding info out. My goal was to reach the fartest tower. So, I didn't go near main NPC's. It Didn't give me exilixr tips. It usually spams the Don't engage enemies head on. Plus, I was also live streaming. I didn't read the tips all that much.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
JakDaSnack said:

Yes, but this is open world. If you walk into certain directions, you can miss a lot. Someone here didn't even know you could upgrade your inventory and had over 100 seeds. He simply didn't go to that one small area, on the haneto road. Or certain things won't be in that area. That you need. So the helpful info pickups give you. Isn't there. So you'll get stucl. I didn't want a tutorial. That was the whole point of me doing what I did. The point was: I did get blocked. Because, I didn't know what to do. So than I went back to the main area. By the time I figured it out. How to open up all the rest of the towers. I did 10 shrines, and completed one divine beast.

That's the beauty of this game, you aren't actually stuck, if you can't figure out how to do one thing, you just turn around and do one of the other 100+ things available, eventually you'll figure out how to get past that part you were stuck on.  

Something...Something...Games...Something

archer9234 said:
Peh said:

If you come across the material. I didn't. Weapons breaking made me avoid most encounters. So that delayed me finding info out. My goal was to reach the fartest tower. So, I didn't go near main NPC's. It Didn't give me exilixr tips. It usually spams the Don't engage enemies head on. Plus, I was also live streaming. I didn't read the tips all that much.

You are telling me that you havn't caught a frog, or a lizard, or any insect, at all? Difficult to believe that. But you can also cook food with certain mushrooms to restore stamina while eating. Those stuff is lying everywhere around and everyone of those tells you what you can do with it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

archer9234 said:
d21lewis said:

I stealth killed every enemy I'm the Yiga clan area except for one. I whistled and he left the door unguarded so I ran through!

That's not the point I was making. I wanted to just directly fight them. Or that the controls to drop food, was better. I've gotten caught, due to dumb issues with the stealth system. I had it once. Where I was able to engage the instant back kill. The game still read me as caught. And I was still able to kill him. Second, the caught mechanic shouldn't even be in the game. Once you get seen. It needs to just do game over. It's a waste of time, making you think you can try to fight your way through.

You can directly fight them, if that's the route you choose. I think you just want the game to be easier? The things that you claim the game doesn't allow you to do, are indeed possible. They'll be harder if you skip everything, but still possible. 

It honestly sounds like you want to be able to jump to any segment of the game at any time without having to learn any of the gameplay systems. Learning how to play and getting better will take time in any game. This is not unique to Zelda. 

Renna Hazel said:
archer9234 said:

You can directly fight them, if that's the route you choose. I think you just want the game to be easier? The things that you claim the game doesn't allow you to do, are indeed possible. They'll be harder if you skip everything, but still possible. 

It honestly sounds like you want to be able to jump to any segment of the game at any time without having to learn any of the gameplay systems. Learning how to play and getting better will take time in any game. This is not unique to Zelda. 

You can also throw a banana in front of them. This will trigger a funny distraction.

MTZehvor said:
Renna Hazel said:

This shows bias in my opinion. I do find exaggerations lead to misinformation. 

And obviously my responses are based on my personal experience. As are Jims I would assume? I'm not sure what else I can base it on. But if we're past having an open debate about the review (that's what this topic is about) because I think it's inaccurate, there really isn't much else to say. I don't want to get into a condescending back and forth because that's just not my style. 

The difference is intentionality. If you want to make the argument that his experience was different than the average person's, and as such is likely not a good indicator of how much they will enjoy it, then that's one thing. If you want to accuse him of what is essentially dishonesty, that's something entirely different, and an accusation that really shouldn't be thrown around without tangible evidence.

To put it another way, the difference between the two is whether he's genuinely reporting his experience, and his experience simply isn't likely to be applicable for most players, or whether he's intentionally overstating certain parts of his experience with the intent to mislead readers.

I do believe it's the latter. That's just the impression I get from the guy, so that's what I said. You seem to be taking that to heart, and that's fine I guess. Whether it's a bias or just him going out of his way to make the game a worse experience, I find the review to be so far removed from my own point of view. With that, I disregard his opinion as a reviewer.