By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think Nintendo is afraid to reveal NX

Tagged games:

A better answer is that they're holding off to January for the announcement for superior marketing performance. Big corporations aren't as disorganized as you imply they are. Nintendo definitely already knew about Scorpio and PS4 Pro, and neither are a factor for an announcement of their product. The decision to reveal in January would have been made around the time they decided to release it in 2017.

It's silly to announce a product in the holiday season announcement window, when people aren't going to care because the entire focus is on what's coming out for the holidays. It's better to announce in January.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

bunchanumbers said:
Miyamotoo said:

Point is that they have much better marketing in recent times than before and they definitely changed and still changing lotsa things, including approach for NX reveal and marketing.

NX is not 720p tablet, its a hybrid of home console and handheld, product that can be used like real home console and real handheld, while you acting like Nintendo is relasing just 720p tablet, lol. Also you forget how they managed Wii marketing, that is basically overclocked GameCube with motion controls.

According to rumors, its a tablet with detachable controllers and a 720p screen. Nintendo can call it whatever they want, but a consumer is going to see a Nintendo branded 720p tablet.

I agree. It's basically a tablet.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:

bunchanumbers said:

According to rumors, its a tablet with detachable controllers and a 720p screen. Nintendo can call it whatever they want, but a consumer is going to see a Nintendo branded 720p tablet.

Yup. If rumors are to be believed, its a Nintendo branded 720p tablet with a charging dock that connects to a TV. If this is the secret gimmick, then NX will be in serious trouble.

Jumpin said:
A better answer is that they're holding off to January for the announcement for superior marketing performance. Big corporations aren't as disorganized as you imply they are. Nintendo definitely already knew about Scorpio and PS4 Pro, and neither are a factor for an announcement of their product. The decision to reveal in January would have been made around the time they decided to release it in 2017.

It's silly to announce a product in the holiday season announcement window, when people aren't going to care because the entire focus is on what's coming out for the holidays. It's better to announce in January.

A January announcement wouldn't be a wise idea either. People will already have their own Xbox One S, or PS4 Pro and won't be interested in another console in January.

An announcement last month or in the next couple weeks would be ideal, because it may cause people who are interested in a PS4 Pro wait until it launches in 5 months. Scorpio being 18 months away didn't stop MS from announcing the Slim. Slim is selling well too. If anything, it shows that MS is committed to the Xbox One ecosystem.

Wii U is already pretty much over. 3DS will see Pokemon and other games. Announcing NX wouldn't be nearly as bad as people think. Unless the hardware is weak and the games don't look good.

bunchanumbers said:
0D0 said:

Yup. If rumors are to be believed, its a Nintendo branded 720p tablet with a charging dock that connects to a TV. If this is the secret gimmick, then NX will be in serious trouble.

it maybe a tablet + appletv like connection, but it will play Mario. Mario! And perhaps Zelda if they are able to launch it before the end of its 4 years life cycle.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Jumpin said:

A January announcement wouldn't be a wise idea either. People will already have their own Xbox One S, or PS4 Pro and won't be interested in another console in January.

An announcement last month or in the next couple weeks would be ideal, because it may cause people who are interested in a PS4 Pro wait until it launches in 5 months. Scorpio being 18 months away didn't stop MS from announcing the Slim. Slim is selling well too. If anything, it shows that MS is committed to the Xbox One ecosystem.

Wii U is already pretty much over. 3DS will see Pokemon and other games. Announcing NX wouldn't be nearly as bad as people think. Unless the hardware is weak and the games don't look good.

Irrelevant. How would unveiling it now make people getting a PS4 Pro or XBone S this Christmas more interested in the NX than if it is unveiled in January? It doesn't logically follow. If you mean if NX was announced now that they would cancel their Christmas plans, and hold off to get an NX instead, and that those people make up some significant portion of the population of the people who will potentially get NX, then that's an even larger jump in logic, particularly considering the NX is catering to mostly different market niches.

Jumpin said:
bunchanumbers said:

Irrelevant. How would unveiling it now make people getting a PS4 Pro or XBone S this Christmas more interested in the NX than if it is unveiled in January? It doesn't logically follow. If you mean if NX was announced now that they would cancel their Christmas plans, and hold off to get an NX instead, and that those people make up some significant portion of the population of the people who will potentially get NX, then that's an even larger jump in logic, particularly considering the NX is catering to mostly different market niches.

Not necessarily. I would have been happier with a NX preorder than a PS4 Pro. And there would be others who would probably feel the same. Having NX preorders available could be the gift that Nintendo fans have been waiting for. Instead, our options are a console they don't make games for anymore, and a ancient handheld from 5 years ago.

spemanig said:
Nope. I think that they know when they want to reveal it, and you don't, so it's making you and everyone else paranoid.

This is a point. People don't realise where are talking about multi billion company, of course they are were aware what their competition doing and planning, of course they have plans for NX revel, marketing and launch. But some people are getting impatient and paranoid so saying NX have huge problems, Nintendo is afraid because NX is bad product, NX is delayed, NX is cancelled...you just need to relax and be patient, I am pretty sure will get some official NX infos this month.

bunchanumbers said:
Jumpin said:

Not necessarily. I would have been happier with a NX preorder than a PS4 Pro. And there would be others who would probably feel the same. Having NX preorders available could be the gift that Nintendo fans have been waiting for. Instead, our options are a console they don't make games for anymore, and a ancient handheld from 5 years ago.

How does it follow that the existence of people wanting an NX more than PS4 Pro and XBOne S mean that they're going to want to buy a PS4 Pro or XBOne instead of an NX? All you provided was a personal anecdote, and a conclusion drawn from than anecdote that doesn't support your original argument.

In your first argument, you are basically saying Nintendo should focus their marketing campaign on Microsoft and Sony fans who are getting the PS4 Pro and XBone S these holidays: and instead of upgrading their PS3 or XB360 to a PS4 or XBone One, convince them to instead get nothing nothing this year and wait until next Spring to get Nintendo's next console. It doesn't really make sense. Why would these people be a significant and essential portion of NX's audience?

In all reality, Nintendo is probably losing more sales to their own ancient handheld and the console they don't make games for anymore. The NX will appeal to the same people who own 3DS or a Wii U, much more so than people who own Microsoft or Sony consoles. Nintendo's existing niches will be primarily those they already specialize in, and new ones not covered by anyone in any significant fashion so far. This is how the NES, Wii, Gameboy, and DS became so successful.

Announcing in January means that they are appealing to a very broad audience looking for new products now rather than an audience looking for something for Christmas. Making their big debut splash after Christmas means they're able to retain a much stronger momentum going into launch, as it will be fresh, it won't be muddled with a half a year of waiting and an entire holiday season.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
AZWification said:

Hmm, which are those?

I would say these are the big ones:

- Difference between mobile and SCD version -> Too Big > wasting resources on games / design -> Too Small > might become a pointless difference (like gamepad really became)

- Full cost ratio -> is selling  +/- 10 m SCD's worth the hassle of two required, and mandatory games versions at all?

- will Japanese 3rd parties follow?  -> If no, Nintendo might lose the likely big support coming from the handheld side and it's not like it has any to spare.

I can imagine that Nintendo thought of even more potential problems.

I think games like KHIII would benefit from a NX version, so I think at least SE would be willing to follow. I also don't know if Nintendo themsleves will use the SCD too much.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---