By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think Nintendo is afraid to reveal NX

Tagged games:

AZWification said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I would say these are the big ones:

- Difference between mobile and SCD version -> Too Big > wasting resources on games / design -> Too Small > might become a pointless difference (like gamepad really became)

- Full cost ratio -> is selling  +/- 10 m SCD's worth the hassle of two required, and mandatory games versions at all?

- will Japanese 3rd parties follow?  -> If no, Nintendo might lose the likely big support coming from the handheld side and it's not like it has any to spare.

I can imagine that Nintendo thought of even more potential problems.

I think games like KHIII would benefit from a NX version, so I think at least SE would be willing to follow. I also don't know if Nintendo themsleves will use the SCD too much.

The handheld support from Japanese developers could make or break the NX. It will be hard to have them follow on the SCD strategy if Nintendo will barely use that SCD option. Nintendo likes low development costs afterall.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

One thing that is different from wii u to NX is before launch there was lots of information about wii u support from major publishers and initially the wii u had good support. We are less than 1/2 year away from the NX launch and its clear the NX will not start with even wii u levels of support. Maybe because they haven't been told what the NX secret sauce is or maybe because they have.

It doesn't feel like Nintendo are going to expand their support with NX it feels like they are moving more into a niche position. Maybe they have focused more on the Japanese market as their priority. Nintendo may not even be surprised if the NX gets a poor reception in the US and Europe.

The NX more than any other Nintendo product feels like something that could end Nintendo's hardware business.

Something is up, Nintendo have been doing jack shit for the last few years. The WiiU died over two years ago this thing should be revealed by now and building hype. There won't be any fans left at this rate! You will hear people saying "whos Nintendo"

Some say there's a chance they will still reveal it this month.
personally, i always thought it would be in September/early October as to not interfere with 3DS and Wii U holiday sales (they start growing around October). Now, i can't see them revealing before Christmas.

Still, i could be wrong: that investor's meeting could really force them to spill the beans on NX.

think-man said:
Something is up, Nintendo have been doing jack shit for the last few years. The WiiU died over two years ago this thing should be revealed by now and building hype. There won't be any fans left at this rate! You will hear people saying "whos Nintendo"

it appears they havent and won't anytime soon after Mario's appearance in the closing ceremonies of one of the biggest sporting events in the world, the apparel and merchandise that are being sold, and the excitement of a Nintendo themed park coming in the future, let alone Miyamoto's appearance in the recent Apple key note.

Edit: Btw did u see that rush hour at E3? Zelda was the talk of the town.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
personally, i always thought it would be in September/early October as to not interfere with 3DS and Wii U holiday sales (they start growing around October). Now, i can't see them revealing before Christmas.

Still, i could be wrong: that investor's meeting could really force them to spill the beans on NX.

Honestly I'd be shocked if a reveal happens now. Sony is advertising PSVR pretty heavily, Neo is around the corner, and Xbox is showing Gears 4 and the rest of their holiday stuff. Announcing it now would probably lose it in the shuffle.

The way its looking I wouldn't be surprised if they do a announcement in Feb and roll the device out for sale in March. But if rumors are to be believed and its a 720p tablet, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets largely ignored. It really does look like they want to roll it out before the end of the fiscal year, so that even if this year is packed with massive losses, they can point to NX and say that the future is better. Even if NX sells out at launch, I can't see it offsetting the entire fiscal year.

bunchanumbers said:
DélioPT said:

Honestly I'd be shocked if a reveal happens now. Sony is advertising PSVR pretty heavily, Neo is around the corner, and Xbox is showing Gears 4 and the rest of their holiday stuff. Announcing it now would probably lose it in the shuffle.

The way its looking I wouldn't be surprised if they do a announcement in Feb and roll the device out for sale in March. But if rumors are to be believed and its a 720p tablet, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets largely ignored. It really does look like they want to roll it out before the end of the fiscal year, so that even if this year is packed with massive losses, they can point to NX and say that the future is better. Even if NX sells out at launch, I can't see it offsetting the entire fiscal year.

NX commercial during the Super bowl would be amazing.

se7en7thre3 said:
bunchanumbers said:

NX commercial during the Super bowl would be amazing.

That would be awesome assuming Nintendo can make a awesome announcement commercial.

bunchanumbers said:
DélioPT said:

Even a new console reveal wouldn't stop Nintendo announcing NX... it never did. Ever!

Having a reveal would be just suicidal.
Nintendo would have a month or so to make marketing work, promote their games and let whatever 3rd party game have time to be promoted. It's not one of those cases where the market knows what's coming and there's only a single product to present.

I don't think it's going to be ignored even if it's a just a HH and a dongle. I can't recall Nintendo having a HH that was a failure.
HHs are something that Nintendo has got covered even in today's market.

To be honest, i have no idea if this fiscal year - or so far - they are in the red or not, but of course, it's not a launch that's going to offset an entire year.
I mean, depending on how things are, it may or may not depending on the volume of NXs available at launch and how much they profit from each. If they are a little on the red maybe it can save them (adding to that this holiday period (Pokémon!)).
I really don't know how they are doing... :D