By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware won't leave gay characters out of their RPGs

Any option to include no romance?

Around the Network
jigokutamago said:

Yeah, avoid hitting on the NPCs ;)

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Um, I guess that's good. Not sure why its always a big deal when games have gay characters...

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Um, I guess that's good. Not sure why its always a big deal when games have gay characters...

Media reaction and bad publicity in the "still not realizing that this is becoming a normal thing" sector of the world.

Ka-pi96 said:

Well now games that omit gay characters are starting to get a big reaction as well, it may be changing.

Let's hope so.  I would love for games to come out and have no bias reaction based on race, sexuality, or gender.  Let the vision of the creator and the development of the game be the deciding factors in what people purchase.

Around the Network

I definitely agree that if a game is your typical RPG where you create your character, they should very much be your character. Maybe being fully inclusive with everything can be challenging, but if you have 10 characters you should probably include a gay option. I do understand that if you have a party of about 5, there's no reason why someone has to be gay either

I'm not sure every game needs a gay character and I wish it wasn't a news story when there is one (see Bill from the Last of Us). I also don't feel this applies to every game.

A character isn't necessarily more interesting because they're not a white male. They're interesting because they're well written, well thought out and fun (or I guess immersive...) to play as. Again, look at the Last of Us. Joel is somewhat generic in the gruff American white male everyman, but they made him an interesting character.

Just because you include a woman, minority or gay person doesn't make your game good

jigokutamago said:

I'm with you... romance in games is usually lame, and done very badly... I really dont care for it, dont want it. Bioware are all "look at us with our multi species sex stuff" and it's usually shit... so yeah im all up for no romance in any Bioware games.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

"Capcom RPG Deep Down drew criticism earlier this year for only including male avatars, as did Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed: Unity."

This is the type of bullshit I hate. Everything has to be ultra politically correct :p who cares if there wasnt any female avatars? I'd rather have the creators make their vision rather than adding female/gay characters just because they have to.

"Lee added that successful role-playing game should strive to be inclusive as the concept is “at the core of RPGs, and I think it’s a shame that more games don’t allow you to have that freedom.”"

They shouldnt "strive" to be anything else than what they're intended to be. Not every game needs freedom, RPGs included. This guy sounds more like: "oh look at me everyone! I added a gay character, you have to be like me or else your games are lesser than mine!"

StarOcean said:
"Lee added that successful role-playing game should strive to be inclusive as the concept is “at the core of RPGs, and I think it’s a shame that more games don’t allow you to have that freedom.”"

They shouldnt "strive" to be anything else than what they're intended to be. Not every game needs freedom, RPGs included. This guy sounds more like: "oh look at me everyone! I added a gay character, you have to be like me or else your games are lesser than mine!"

But in a game that's about the player creating their own character and actually "role playing" then the option for your character to be male/female gay/straight/bi whatever should be included. 

"Not every game needs freedom." Yes, well done. But this guy is talking about games that are about player freedom and choice, such as Bioware games.

]

I'm proud of you, BioWare!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---