By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta and Devil's Third are a good start.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nintendo is going to take the financial hit for Bayonetta. They need diversity. A platinum games title isn't going to have very much success on one console and least of all its on a console with consumers who don't regularly support third party. Nintendo put Bayonetta on life support because Nintendo and western devs havent seen eye to eye in years. Ubisoft tried to help Nintendo and couldn't turn a profit on their exclusive for the U with Zombi U. 

Bayonetta 2 comes with great marketing and great value. It also has the benefit of pulling in others that normally wouldn't get a Wii U, they may even take the plunge and buy some other software.

Zombi U is a terrible example though. It was a launch title with poor marketing. If it had been released now it probably would sell pretty well.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
KLXVER said:

Well they have Homeland 2 and Crysis...

Those series are wotrhless, just save Crytek UK and get Timesplitters IP :P

Pretty much this.. I want to play Timesplitters 4 befoe I die!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Two niche games on one console from a brand that doesn't a good track record with third party nor attracting their fanbase to third party. Bayonetta will barely scratch 1 M lifetime and Devil Third will probably hit 700k at the most.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Selling 1M Bayo2 and 0,7M D3rd are actually pretty good sales. Specially for a Nintendo platform.

Those 2 games have a very small fanbase and are both 2 new IPs, 0 advertising, and are not AAA in terms of budget. Even on PS4 those kinds of games have a bad time selling well. Just look at PS4 VGchartz database, aside from the big-budget, already stablished IPs and hyped to hell games, like CoD, FIFA, BF WD, AC, and it's 1st party exclusives, all other games sold like crap.

Games such as Wolfstein, Thief, soul suspect Murdered, etc, sold way below the 0,7M mark and those were advertised, already stablished IPs with fanbases (except soul suspect), ina platform with bigger install base, and i'm pretty sure they had budgets way bigger than Bayo2 and D3rd.

If Bayo2 and D3rd manage to sell 1M and 0,7M Nintendo will cry tears of hapiness. And honestly, I think they'll accomplish pretty good numbers.

KLXVER said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Stop focusing on the self. You're psychologically directing my point towards yourself. I am talking about the market and the industry. The hack n slash market outside of God of War is dwindling. 

I present to you the sales of the last Platinum exclusive to launch on a Nintendo console exclusively.

I rest my case.

The Wonderful 101 2013 Action Nintendo 0.12 0.05 0.05 0.01 0.22

Im not sure what you are trying to prove here. Should Nintendo invest in FPSs or whatever is popular atm?

he want to say: dont open your w101 copy, it will be a good investment because its a freaking gem

generic-user-1 said:
KLXVER said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Stop focusing on the self. You're psychologically directing my point towards yourself. I am talking about the market and the industry. The hack n slash market outside of God of War is dwindling. 

I present to you the sales of the last Platinum exclusive to launch on a Nintendo console exclusively.

I rest my case.

Im not sure what you are trying to prove here. Should Nintendo invest in FPSs or whatever is popular atm?

he want to say: dont open your w101 copy, it will be a good investment because its a freaking gem

Too late

Around the Network
phaedruss said:
I always wondered what Nintendo fans thought of Bayonette before Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive........

I didn't know it existed, mostly because I only had 1 console at the time and simply was not following gaming.

Giggs_11 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Two niche games on one console from a brand that doesn't a good track record with third party nor attracting their fanbase to third party. Bayonetta will barely scratch 1 M lifetime and Devil Third will probably hit 700k at the most.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Selling 1M Bayo2 and 0,7M D3rd are actually pretty good sales.

Would it really? Bayonetta 2 doing a million wouldn't be bad, but it'd certainly be disappointing. Series has grown a ton in popularity since the first one came out, it's also on a console that zero competition for that genre.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
KLXVER said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I understand this. I did write a predicted sale didn't I? I guess you would be one of those people. Look at the sales of the genre, franchises, publishers, developers and how many consoles their games have sold on. Bayonetta took two consoles to have good sales on and didnt even reach the proper end result for Sega to make a profit. Bayonetta is about to launch an exclusive on a platform thats untested with by far the worst third party support of all of the big three. If this doesn't make sense to you at all, you really need to take deep, hard look at the industry as it is today when it comes to Platinum Games and Tecmo.

Those usually dont sell as well because they dont have miliions upon millions of dollars put into marketing them. I do look very much into the industry and while you look at what game sold the most, I look for games that interest me.

I rest my case.

TW101 is a poor case to make. If you call Bayonetta niche, TW101 is on a whole different level.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

drake_tolu said:

My prediction is that Bayonetta 2 will sell 1.8 million lifetime.

Oh no. It will not reach 1 million, maybe 500K. 750K for Bayonetta 2 would be spectacular in my book and Platinum probably would be very pleased.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Considering it's on Nintendo, and the Wii U at that, if Bayonetta 2 hits 1mil sold that will be a great success.

Bayonetta isn't on some massive budget like Tomb Raider, where it needs to sell 5mil+ to make a decent profit.