By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta and Devil's Third are a good start.

outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:
drake_tolu said:

My prediction is that Bayonetta 2 will sell 1.8 million lifetime.

Oh no. It will not reach 1 million, maybe 500K. 750K for Bayonetta 2 would be spectacular in my book and Platinum probably would be very pleased.

How could Platinum or Nintendo be pleased? They would have lost money on both projects.....

Platinum probably git the game funded anyways and will not make any loss. But a successful game means they will get more likely funding for another project.

I don't think NIntendo invested too big. Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2. At that point some development already had happened. At the point Sega cancelled the game, they gave up on this money. So Nintendo funded only half a game, and Sega probably got something in return. So I think it might be profitable for Nintendo, if the game sells some 100K. The loss will be on Segas side, but they already accepted that the moment they cancelled the game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
 Hyrule Warriors is much more important than Devil's Third.

I agree on Hyrule Warriors. Might be interesting. If Hyrule Warriors is a success, WiiU could become a good platform for warriors games. Even more Zelda-Warriors or maybe mousou-games based on other Nintendo-franchises (would Metroid Warriors work?). If that happens, WiiU might have a chance to beat PS4 in Japan for lifetime, as it currently stands I think at some point PS4 will overtake WiiU there.

Not just Musou games, either, as other developers and publishers might see potental where they noticed none before.  What about a Disgaea style game from Atlus with Zelda or Mario characters?  What about a Vocaloid game from Sega with the Nintendo princesses as idols?  The conventional wisdom is that a bad Nintendo game will out-sell a good third party game on a Nintendo system.  Hyrule Warriors represents a way around that.

Good idea. I hope Nintendo is open for such partnerships. The recent developments point in that direction. But restricted to other japanese devs. My dream project would be a Lego Zelda...

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

outlawauron said:
Giggs_11 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Two niche games on one console from a brand that doesn't a good track record with third party nor attracting their fanbase to third party. Bayonetta will barely scratch 1 M lifetime and Devil Third will probably hit 700k at the most.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Selling 1M Bayo2 and 0,7M D3rd are actually pretty good sales.

Would it really? Bayonetta 2 doing a million wouldn't be bad, but it'd certainly be disappointing. Series has grown a ton in popularity since the first one came out, it's also on a console that zero competition for that genre.

I don't agree with your reasoning.

1) How come would it be disappointing if Bayo1 sold around 1,8M in a 160M install base consoles? The series can't have grown a popularity higher than those 1,8M sales for sure and I bet 90% of those aren't on Nintendo's consoles. I wouldn't say popularity amongst Nintendo fanbase, but rather curiosity since most probably didn't get to play the 1st.

2) As far as the genre argument, that ain't quite true. And even if it was true, that doesn't equal sales. If a console is missing a genre/as lack of games of certain genre, doesn't mean it will sell if they put a game of that genre on it, means exactly the opposite, that it doesn't sell. WiiU barely has any FPS on it, why? Because publishers aren't happy with those sales. Any FPS selling 1M on WiiU would be a huge success, even though there is a shortage of FPSs on it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Khan said:

TW101 is a poor case to make. If you call Bayonetta niche, TW101 is on a whole different level.

....You obviously don't get my point. Bayonetta is becoming niche if it cannot turn a profit with the sales it recieved. If you split up the sales from two consoles to one and put it on the console with the least hype for games of that sort from third parties you've almost doomed it just because Nintendo wants to feel like they are in the party with the competition, when in truth they had been neglecting it for almost almost twenty years.

My point is that TW101 is worse on the scale of "niche" than Bayonetta. Bayo at least has a clear appeal.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Giggs_11 said:
outlawauron said:

I don't agree with your reasoning.

1) How come would it be disappointing if Bayo1 sold around 1,8M in a 160M install base consoles? The series can't have grown a popularity higher than those 1,8M sales for sure and I bet 90% of those aren't on Nintendo's consoles. I wouldn't say popularity amongst Nintendo fanbase, but rather curiosity since most probably didn't get to play the 1st.

2) As far as the genre argument, that ain't quite true. And even if it was true, that doesn't equal sales. If a console is missing a genre/as lack of games of certain genre, doesn't mean it will sell if they put a game of that genre on it, means exactly the opposite, that it doesn't sell. WiiU barely has any FPS on it, why? Because publishers aren't happy with those sales. Any FPS selling 1M on WiiU would be a huge success, even though there is a shortage of FPSs on it.

Bayonetta sold well enough between the PS3 and 360, but it didn't sell enough to cover the expenses to make the game in the first place. Sega refused to make another game until Nintendo took the bill. Its getting more expensive to make games. God of War is the surviving hack n slash that has expectations of high sales thats a remnant of the late PS2 era. Bayonetta looks good on the WIi U, but looking good wont cut it. Being left alone on the Nintendo is good for the longevity of the series as the name continues to grace the industry, but the expectation isn't great on the Wii U. Donkey Kong is struggling on the Wii U. Freaking Donkey Kong man...

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
OttoniBastos said:

They have a cartoonish TPShooter(Metroid)

What?

He's probably talking about the Nintendo Land minigame!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

KLXVER said:
generic-user-1 said:

he want to say: dont open your w101 copy, it will be a good investment because its a freaking gem

Too late

I never said anything of the sort. I cant wait to play W 101, but you need personal feelings about games  from  sales expectations based on past performance and target market groups. Thats what we do on this site, look at numbers and make educated guesses.

Mr Khan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

....You obviously don't get my point. Bayonetta is becoming niche if it cannot turn a profit with the sales it recieved. If you split up the sales from two consoles to one and put it on the console with the least hype for games of that sort from third parties you've almost doomed it just because Nintendo wants to feel like they are in the party with the competition, when in truth they had been neglecting it for almost almost twenty years.

My point is that TW101 is worse on the scale of "niche" than Bayonetta. Bayo at least has a clear appeal.

I'm not saying the game wont be great. Its one of the my favorite hack n slashes of last gen, but even last gen when it sold over 2 million between two consoles it didn't cover the developmental costs. Nintendo is taking the fall for this game just like they did for W101 and you guys acting like its going to be any different on a Nintendo console is astonishing given past performance with Nintendos market. The only good thing about this is we get to play it and Nintendo taking the fall to make their console more diverse because third parties dont want to take the risk themselves on Bayonetta let alone on a Nintendo console. Ubisoft learned their lesson and now they are back to doing things the way they wanted to, which is pushing their engines to the next level with a crowd that will help them turn a profit.

Experimental42 said:
goulibouli said:
Devil's Third won't sell, Bayonetta will sell 500.000 - 750.000 top

Well Bayo was a mild hit at ~2mil sold, and it developed a loyal cult following. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 1mil for the sequel, especially when it's bundled with the definitive version of the original, including the new costumes/mods, for free.

Not a question of cult following. It was a multi-platform release on consoles that both had a 40 millions users base.

The Wii U only has  7 millions user base (by the time Bayonetta 2 is released) if you calculate the proportion of people who buy games according to its appeal compared to installed user base, it's really improbable that will reach 1 million (although that's possible since not many game are available on next-gen as of now, but knowing the Wii U audience, it won't happen)

Ubisoft seems to have really half-assed their attempt on the Wii U graphically. Why can a lower budget studio make humanoid characters that crap all over the character models in Zombi U?