By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455
Clyde32 said:
I'm also very bugged that Aonuma stopped using Koji Kondo for the music.

Here here. OOT soundtrack is untouchable imo. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Which Zeldas did Miyamoto make and which did Aonuma make?

I might be mistaken, but as far as I know:

Miyamoto: The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time
Aonuma: Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, A Link Between Worlds, Zelda Wii U

Aonuma has more hits under his belt.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Everything starting with Ocarina of Time is Aonuma

I think Miyamoto's last where he was the game director was A Link to the Past

Clyde32 said:
prayformojo said:
Considering Miyamoto not only INVENTED Zelda, he is also responsible for OOT so, anything but him is an insult to humanity.

Amen. A-fricking-men thank you for speaking the truth out here.

Agreed.

McDonaldsGuy said:

I disagree and I can prove this. Majora's Mask sold bad yes, because of an expansion pack, but also because it was so different (3 day cycle, heavy focus on masks, etc. etc.) The expansion pack did have an affect, but Wii Motion Plus was far more widespread than the expansion pack (mainly thanks to Wii Sports Resort).... but let's face it, the hype for Skyward Sword was soooo small.

Think of it this way - the remake of Ocarina of Time on 3DS has sold 3.5 million. On the other hand, Wind Waker has just cracked a million. Now, you're response will be 3DS has a larger fanbase but OOT sold over a million when 3DS had a LOWER install base than Wii U.

The art style has a HUGE affect on sales and Zelda has a fractured fanbase because of it. The last thing Nintendo needs is another fractured Zelda fanbase (think GameCube).

You have to remember Twilight Princess got a ton of hype BECAUSE of its graphical art style. In fact, that's why they made Twilight Princess - as a response to the people who criticized Wind Waker. If Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword/Wind Waker art style it wouldn't have gotten half the hype.

The problem is Zelda is just so stale these days. It needs to make HUGE changes, and I don't think either Miyamoto or Aonuma can do that.

This guy gets it. Aonuma's artistic whims have severely damaged Zelda's reputation and fragmented its fanbase. Without him we wouldn't even be having these big debates over art style that continue to this day. The man is out of touch, he treats his personal fetish for "artsy" visuals as more important than the survival of the franchise and of Nintendo itself.

Between them, Miyamoto and Aonuma are a bigger threat to Nintendo than Microsoft and Sony are.

Around the Network
cusman said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Dude...if you are going to say anything, make sure it is right...

I'm not sure it's a totally fair question. Miyamoto is the creative father of the Zelda series, and the games he directed or co-directed were mostly brilliant, IE the original, Link's Awakening, ALttP, Ocarina, etc.

However, arguably my two favorite Zelda games of all time, Link's Awakening on GB, and Twilight Princess on GC, were both directed by people no Miyamoto (Tazuka and Aonuma). Both games, to me, are brilliant and represent the best the series has to offer.

So it's a toss-up really. I was not a fan of Wind Waker, or Majora's Mask, and while I liked Skyward Sword, I didn't care for the OVER-use of the fuckin' motion controls for everyone outside of just swordplay. But TP is my fav. 3D Zelda, and I have faith that the dude's gonna do some really great things with this new epic Zelda, now that he has HD hardware and 25gb discs to work with.

cusman said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Nope, Miyamoto directed Ocarina of Time, Aonuma was only one of several designers. Aonuma co-directed Majora, and was the full director for Wind Waker and TP. Skyward Sword was directed by Hidemaro Fujibayashi, who also directed or co-directed the Oracles games, Minish Cap, and Four Swords. For that matter, Hiromasa Shikata was technically the director on A Link Between Worlds. Daiki Iwamoto directed Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, as well as the HD remake of WW. So in all reality, Aonuma was only the director for MM, WW, and TP. Beyond that, he basically took Miyamoto's old palce as producer of the series, while Miyamoto himself is basically just a creative advisor, and general supervisor of most of Nintendo's internal teams, along with Tezuka.

For that matter, Miyamoto himself only co-directed the original Zelda, and produced Zelda II, ALttP, etc. He didn't direct again, for the last time, until Ocarina of Time. His co-director Takashi Tezuka (the guy also behind the Yoshi's series), directed ALttP and Link's Awakening. And two other fellas co-directed Zelda II under Miyamoto's supervision, because at the time he was busy with Mario 3 among other things.

So while Miyamoto and Aonuma are seen as the "faces" of the franchise, people actually give them too much credit, when many others have been involved as well.

Bristow9091 said:
... I don't even know who made which, lol.

Who did Windwaker? Because that's my favourite

You have great taste in Zelda games, my friend!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Windwaker is my favourite, and ALBW is shaping out to be the best handheld Zelda. Both Aonuma so.. but that said Miyamoto did OoT, can't underestate the importance of that game for the industry