By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455

Miyamoto - Aonuma is...I won't even bother wasting words.

Though, someone completely new taking over Zelda, while honoring original design, would probably be best the solution.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Definitely Miyamoto, it's not even close. He designed The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, ALttP and OoT. All masterpieces.

Since then we have titles like WW, TP and SS, as well as ALBW. All of Aonuma's titles have been simply building on the OoT formula, or more recently a re-imagining of ALttP. Very little progress and I would argue regression. He introduced the divisive topic of "Artstyle" being an actual thing to discuss. His titles will seldom be heard in discussions of "greatest game of all time", unlike the Miyamoto titles which almost all heard such talk upon release.

The brightest hope for Aonuma Zelda is Zelda U, and this is again not because he is coming up with great ideas, but because he is drawing inspiration from the original incredible game Miyamoto designed so long ago.

I think Aonuma is also responsible for the stupid split timeline thing because they had to fit in the moment of insanity that was WW. Under Miyamoto I'm pretty sure it was just:

OoT->ALttP->Zelda->Zelda II

Also, for those bringing up Majora's Mask, that was the brainchild of Yoshiaki Koizumi. He was a key part of that game design (story, 3-day concept) before leaving to lead his own team.

Bolded, respectively not completely true and false. 

Takashi Tezuka was the director of the Legend of Zelda : A link to the past, Miyamoto was just the producer in this game. And Miyamoto only co-directed The Legend of Zelda with Tezuka. For instance, the whole "open-world" map of The Legend of Zelda was co-designed by Miyamoto and Tezuka. Miyamoto drawed the right part and Tezuka the left. You can notice that those 2 parts are very different, the right part is more simple and the left part looks more complex with more stuff designed...Tezuka's job. Yep.

Tezuka also directed link's awakening, in this game where Miyamoto had the lowest contribution if any...is the best Zelda of the serie IMHO.

So this thread is really incomplete and really should mention Takashi Tezuka.

Not sure but I know that the Zelda series has degraded substantially since Wind Waker, save for a Link Between Worlds. In addition with games like the Souls series out now I don't have the same affection for Zelda games I once did. Maybe they'll change that with the latest installment. Although if the "tutorial" portion of the game is incredibly long with boring dialogue I may sour on the game altogether.

globalisateur said:

Bolded, respectively not completely true and false. 

Takashi Tezuka was the director of the Legend of Zelda : A link to the past, Miyamoto was just the producer in this game. And Miyamoto only co-directed The Legend of Zelda with Tezuka. For instance, the whole "open-world" map of The Legend of Zelda was co-designed by Miyamoto and Tezuka. Miyamoto drawed the right part and Tezuka the left. You can notice that those 2 parts are very different, the right part is more simple and the left part looks more complex with more stuff designed...Tezuka's job. Yep.

Tezuka also directed link's awakening, in this game where Miyamoto had the lowest contribution if any...is the best Zelda of the serie IMHO.

So this thread is really incomplete and really should mention Takashi Tezuka.

You know what you get for mentioning things like that? People not noticing when you mention things like that.

He's a very under-appreciated chap.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3