By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455
McDonaldsGuy said:
sc94597 said:

The only one I have to respond to is number 3... of course the effect is huge. The effect was so huge Nintendo created Twilight Princess because of it.

It's like trying to say Batman & Robin didn't bomb because of its style... of course it bombed because of it.

And yes, it was the art style which is why Twilight Princess got a ton of hype. I remember, I was there. I remember reading all the news up to it, and everyone's reactions.

http://youtu.be/ci4rx4loGXQ?t=3m44s - watch that, and you can see the type of impact Twilight Princess had. The fact is, if Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword or Wind Waker graphics, it wouldn't have got half the hype it did.

And the thing is, even Miyamoto is admitting the changes aren't that drastic. I will wait and see, but honestly this may be the first time I skip a Zelda game ever (since I started playing the series with Link's Awakening). Nintendo needs to put this franchise in new hands.

Online hype might've been less, yes. However, Twilight Princess was the only launch game worth getting on a system that was selling out. To think it wouldn't have sold a lot with less realistic graphics (even OoT's style would be less realistic) is to be deceptive. To be honest, Zelda U to me looks very analagous to OoT/MM. A naturalistic setting with more stylized characters. As for whether or not it will be a huge departure from the rest of the 3d series, I think it is quite clear by what we have seen, that there is some truth to Aonuma's words. Also, Miyamoto mentioned how they are taking what they did in A Link Between Worlds and extending it even more with how the dungeon system will work. They both have repeatingly cited TLoZ when asked about the world. A 3D Zelda with Zelda I's seamlessness is certainly a departure from the current 3D hub-world/corrider combination.

Around the Network

All my favourite Zeldas have all been Aonuma's with the exception of OOT so it's an easy choice. Even my favourite pre Aonuma Zelda (Links Awakening) didn't really have much Miyamoto involvement.

Not taking away Miyamoto 's work and achievements. I have fond memories of his games too and he started the series. But the quirky character and charm you find oozing out of modern Zelda games seems to be an Aonuma thing.

sc94597 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
What the Wii U needs right now is a super killer app. A realistic Zelda could have been that. Instead, we get this weird cel shaded looking stuff which is "beautiful" - right. No one feels the hype for Zelda anymore... it's sad to say.

Speak for yourself.  We are getting a beautiful, open-world, action-adventure game with a revised dungeon and overworld system, and likely stellar combat (if the gameplay is anything like the in-game scene we watched.) Besides the less realistic art-style, it is everything Zelda fans have been asking for since before Twilight Princess. 

I don't think it is. I really doubt that you could jump off your Horse and kill an enemy like that, It's too cinematic for actually gameplay.

prayformojo said:
VanceIX said:
Aonuma is better overall.

I have to disagree because Miyamoto IS Nintendo. You only have Nintendo games to play today today because of this man. Without his genius, the NES may very well have been nothing but an afterthought.

Even if that's true, that wouldn't mean his games are better by default. Everything has room for improvement.

Both men have been great for the franchise. Miyamoto, obviously, because he invented Zelda and and produced and/or directed many of the series' best games. Aonuma, also, because he built upon Miyamoto's work and produced and/or directed many of the series' best games.

I think both Miyamoto and Aonuma deserve a huge amount of credit and praise for keeping the series interesting, relevant, and joyful to play for almost 30 years.

Around the Network

This shouldn't even be a question. Miyamoto.
Link to the Past /Ocarina of Time are pretty universally both regarded as the best Zelda's of all time.

All other Zelda's have been 'good' but not 'great'.

Clyde32 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Which Zeldas did Miyamoto make and which did Aonuma make?

Miyamoto made everything up to OoT, Aonuma pitched Majora's Mask, but Miyamoto did the story. They worked together on Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. Aonuma did Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Link Between Worlds.

Miyamoto has been on and of with Zelda...since the very beginning. You have to destinguish between directing and producing when you talk about "who made" the game.

Directors are far more directly involved than producers in the creation of a game.

Miyamoto directed 2 Zelda games: The first one and Ocarina of Time and served as the producer of the series till Phantom Hourglass when Aonuma took over.

And Yoshiaki Koizumi (the previous-director of the 3D Mario series and now it´s producer) was heavily involved in MM´s story too.

Nintentacle said:
sc94597 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
What the Wii U needs right now is a super killer app. A realistic Zelda could have been that. Instead, we get this weird cel shaded looking stuff which is "beautiful" - right. No one feels the hype for Zelda anymore... it's sad to say.

Speak for yourself.  We are getting a beautiful, open-world, action-adventure game with a revised dungeon and overworld system, and likely stellar combat (if the gameplay is anything like the in-game scene we watched.) Besides the less realistic art-style, it is everything Zelda fans have been asking for since before Twilight Princess. 

I don't think it is. I really doubt that you could jump off your Horse and kill an enemy like that, It's too cinematic for actually gameplay.

There were some cinematic gaemplay segments in Twilight Princess. Particularly the horse-fights. They might extend upon that in this game, but that is pure speculation on my part. It would go very well with the rest of what we know about the game though. 

McDonaldsGuy said:
FragilE^ said

More than 1 in 3 of every Wii U owner bought Super Mario 3d World. Thats a FLOP?!
Wii U as a console is faaaar from dead. Wake up already.

And who are all these people who want a realistic Zelda (and at the same time thinks that an unrealistic zelda is worthless)? Please, show me some numbers. Prove that the new Zelda is garbage and won't sell.

Skyward Sword - 3.76 million sales

Twilight Princess - 6.96 milion

Super Mario 3D World was the LAST thing the Wii U needed. The Wii U needed a successor to Super Mario 64 and Galaxy, not 3D Land. The Wii U's sales are extremely low because Nintendo is acting all strange lately.

What are you even talking about? 3D land sold amazingly, and its still selling. How is that bad? A "true" successor would not have changed anyone's mind. People who were on the fence have already decided that Nintendo is bad. Its the cool thing right now, and changing the artstyle of a game or making a mario game one way or the other will not change a thing.

Sony does a good job with a wide range of exclusives, trying to give every gamer what they want, but most of their exlusives sell badly. The last of us, the "best game ever made", only sold 4.63M units. Top ten games of the PS3 are GTA, COD and sports games. If the Wii U wants to hit the masses, those kinds of games are what they need, NOT your idea of a "proper" Mario game or the "correct" art style for a Zelda game.

SS and TP sales were influenced by so many factors and that argument is really old. It was NOT the artstyle. The artstyle alone has never translated directly into sales for a Zelda game. And guess what... Artstyle alone has never translated into actuall game quality either. Be glad that Nintendo is making the game they want to make, and not Modern Zelda Warfare 15: Combat Evolved (because that would be the real killer app that the Wii U needs, right?)

*sigh* I am barking way too much.

prayformojo said:
VanceIX said:
Aonuma is better overall.

I have to disagree because Miyamoto IS Nintendo. You only have Nintendo games to play today today because of this man. Without his genius, the NES may very well have been nothing but an afterthought.

This is about Zelda though, not Nintendo, and Aonuma made Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, my personal favorite games in the franchise.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC