By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455
sc94597 said:
KungKras said:
sc94597 said:
I never understood the Aonuma hate. Aonuma has directed a variety of different Zelda games, since the N64 era.

Zelda stopped being good after the N64 age. That might have something to do with it.....

This is a silly statement. My favorite Zelda games are Majora's Mask and A Link To the Past, and yet I can still appreciate (despite they not being my favorites) OoT, WindWaker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword as not only good games, but great games. Hell, even Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were good games, and they are probably my least favorite Zelda games. Really, I think people who make statements like yours are stuck in nostalgia, but I'll try not to generalize. 

That's like, your opinion, man.

I can guarantee you my opinions isn't coming from nostalgia. Aonuma has taken away everything I played Zelda for. Epic fantasy? Sorry, have some anime and crappy NPC characters instead. Useful items? Sorry, every item is now just a key to unlocking very specific puzzles in a dungeon (And in TP, only unlocking things in the dungeon you find the Item in..... WTH?). Fun combat? Sorry, combat is a puzzle too now, and is even easier than OoT (which was really easy to begin with). Fun secrets like Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, Nayuru's Love, the ALttP magic and the ice arrow? Well..... how about you collect bugs and dowse to advance the story. Epic overworld? LOL, everyting is now sections.

I'm not talking about Link Between Worlds, because I don't know how much influence over it that Aonuma had.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
prayformojo said:
VanceIX said:
Aonuma is better overall.

I have to disagree because Miyamoto IS Nintendo. You only have Nintendo games to play today today because of this man. Without his genius, the NES may very well have been nothing but an afterthought.

This is about Zelda though, not Nintendo, and Aonuma made Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, my personal favorite games in the franchise.

But Miyamoto made...ZELDA. LOL. He's the man who created the franchise that Aonuma works on. Your favorite games wouldn't have existed without Miyamoto. That's my point.

I prefer Zelda games from Miyanuma.

orniletter said:

Miyamoto has been on and of with Zelda...since the very beginning. You have to destinguish between directing and producing when you talk about "who made" the game.

Directors are far more directly involved than producers in the creation of a game.

Miyamoto directed 2 Zelda games: The first one and Ocarina of Time and served as the producer of the series till Phantom Hourglass when Aonuma took over.

And Yoshiaki Koizumi (the previous-director of the 3D Mario series and now it´s producer) was heavily involved in MM´s story too.

Thank you for giving credit to Koizumi, I didn't want to mention him because no one would know what I was talking about. But yes, Miyamoto and koizumi worked together on the overall story of MM, and Takano did the script. 

I'm also very bugged that Aonuma stopped using Koji Kondo for the music.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
VanceIX said:
prayformojo said:
VanceIX said:
Aonuma is better overall.

I have to disagree because Miyamoto IS Nintendo. You only have Nintendo games to play today today because of this man. Without his genius, the NES may very well have been nothing but an afterthought.

This is about Zelda though, not Nintendo, and Aonuma made Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, my personal favorite games in the franchise.

But Miyamoto made...ZELDA. LOL. He's the man who created the franchise that Aonuma works on. Your favorite games wouldn't have existed without Miyamoto. That's my point.

But is it better with him now? No. That's the question. Not who was the most essential for the series.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

mZuzek said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

The problem is Zelda is just so stale these days. It needs to make HUGE changes, and I don't think either Miyamoto or Aonuma can do that.

"I hate new Zelda because it's so different. Ugh, Zelda is so stale."

It innovates the wrong parts, like art style, and it becomes formulaic in the wrong parts, like it's N64-era gameplay skeleton.

I LOVE ICELAND!

the only thing i know is that after a link between worlds, my faith in the series has been restored

KungKras said:

I'm not talking about Link Between Worlds, because I don't know how much influence over it that Aonuma had.

ALBW is a game from Aonuma. He did

Click HERE and be happy 

Neither.

Zelda is better with Takashi Tezuka who directed The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past.

Miyamoto and Aonuma exceptionally barely contributed on the Gameboy iteration of the Zelda franchise. And the game was a masterpiece. With its compelling and original story (contrary to most Miyamoto's games) It was the TLOU of Zelda on the gameboy IMO.

Too bad Miyamoto and Anonuma probably were so jealous that it was the last Zelda games really directed by Tezuka.

Remember that on top of those 2 Zeldas Tezuka also directed Super Mario World and Super Mario world 2, Miyamoto was just producer on those games. Tezuka also co-directed Super Mario Bros 3 and The Legend of Zelda with Miyamoto; too many people tend to forget those anecdotes and the real contribution of Tezuka on those seminal great Nintendo games.