By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455

Both to be honest. They both really work on Zelda games. It's just sometimes one or the other works more closely with one game while other person takes notes. They have both sort of put something into most Zelda games wether Aonuma has been in charge while Miyamoto supervises like they have been doing. Not going to vote who is better because it sounds silly imo. Both great people.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
AZWification said:

You have great taste in Zelda games, my friend!

Haha cheers :P

I just get very happy when I see someone say the Wind Waker is their favorite Zelda game..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

mZuzek said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Which Zeldas did Miyamoto make and which did Aonuma make?

I might be mistaken, but as far as I know:

Miyamoto: The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time
Aonuma: Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, A Link Between Worlds, Zelda Wii U

It's not that simple is it? Doesn't Miyamoto play some kind of supervisory role in some respect even now? 

curl-6 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

I disagree and I can prove this. Majora's Mask sold bad yes, because of an expansion pack, but also because it was so different (3 day cycle, heavy focus on masks, etc. etc.) The expansion pack did have an affect, but Wii Motion Plus was far more widespread than the expansion pack (mainly thanks to Wii Sports Resort).... but let's face it, the hype for Skyward Sword was soooo small.

Think of it this way - the remake of Ocarina of Time on 3DS has sold 3.5 million. On the other hand, Wind Waker has just cracked a million. Now, you're response will be 3DS has a larger fanbase but OOT sold over a million when 3DS had a LOWER install base than Wii U.

The art style has a HUGE affect on sales and Zelda has a fractured fanbase because of it. The last thing Nintendo needs is another fractured Zelda fanbase (think GameCube).

You have to remember Twilight Princess got a ton of hype BECAUSE of its graphical art style. In fact, that's why they made Twilight Princess - as a response to the people who criticized Wind Waker. If Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword/Wind Waker art style it wouldn't have gotten half the hype.

The problem is Zelda is just so stale these days. It needs to make HUGE changes, and I don't think either Miyamoto or Aonuma can do that.

This guy gets it. Aonuma's artistic whims have severely damaged Zelda's reputation and fragmented its fanbase. Without him we wouldn't even be having these big debates over art style that continue to this day. The man is out of touch, he treats his personal fetish for "artsy" visuals as more important than the survival of the franchise and of Nintendo itself.

Between them, Miyamoto and Aonuma are a bigger threat to Nintendo than Microsoft and Sony are.

Actually, Majora's Mask damaged the franchise in terms of sales and deflated hype in the series. Wind Waker represents somewhat of a recovery in sales compared to Majora's Mask.

Bristow9091 said:

Well y'see, The first time I'd ever played it was earlier this year when I bought my Wii U, I got The Wind Waker HD with it, and I know there was a little... let's say contraversy over the art style since it had changed slightly, but while playing it, all I could think was "Wow, this game is absolutely gorgeous", the gameplay felt completely natural too considering I'd not played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time 3D back when I got my 3DS, and before that was the GBA games and the original Ocarina of Time, lol... it was just so fun to play, I loved the locations, I loved the character and enemy designs, the music was great, again, the art style is gorgeous, and I found sailing to be really fun, just like Assassin's Creed IV, I could spend ages just sailing for no apparent reason, lol. 

I'm thinking of buying a WiiMote Plus and a Nunchuck thingy for the Wii and buying Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, since the Wii U plays Wii games, yay... I used to have a Wii, got it when it first came out, but sold it less than a year later... sort of regretted it a few years later, lol. I'd also LOVE to find a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles (So I can play it before X releases on Wii U) and The Last Story too, but they're both SO overpriced, it's insane!

I wasn't that much of a Twilight Princess, but who knows, maybe you'll like it more than I did! Skyward Sword, however, is a Zelda game you should definitely play! The story and soundtrack are easily the franchise's best if you ask me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Miyamoto obviously. No contest.
Even the new Zelda for Wii U is taking as a base the first masterpiece Zelda NES.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

curl-6 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

I disagree and I can prove this. Majora's Mask sold bad yes, because of an expansion pack, but also because it was so different (3 day cycle, heavy focus on masks, etc. etc.) The expansion pack did have an affect, but Wii Motion Plus was far more widespread than the expansion pack (mainly thanks to Wii Sports Resort).... but let's face it, the hype for Skyward Sword was soooo small.

Think of it this way - the remake of Ocarina of Time on 3DS has sold 3.5 million. On the other hand, Wind Waker has just cracked a million. Now, you're response will be 3DS has a larger fanbase but OOT sold over a million when 3DS had a LOWER install base than Wii U.

The art style has a HUGE affect on sales and Zelda has a fractured fanbase because of it. The last thing Nintendo needs is another fractured Zelda fanbase (think GameCube).

You have to remember Twilight Princess got a ton of hype BECAUSE of its graphical art style. In fact, that's why they made Twilight Princess - as a response to the people who criticized Wind Waker. If Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword/Wind Waker art style it wouldn't have gotten half the hype.

The problem is Zelda is just so stale these days. It needs to make HUGE changes, and I don't think either Miyamoto or Aonuma can do that.

This guy gets it. Aonuma's artistic whims have severely damaged Zelda's reputation and fragmented its fanbase. Without him we wouldn't even be having these big debates over art style that continue to this day. The man is out of touch, he treats his personal fetish for "artsy" visuals as more important than the survival of the franchise and of Nintendo itself.

Between them, Miyamoto and Aonuma are a bigger threat to Nintendo than Microsoft and Sony are.

I'm sorry, but if you're saying the fate of the Legend Of Zelda series depends on whether it looks like this:

or this

Then maybe the series just needs to die, because to me it's just ridiculous. The series has (for the vast majority of it's life) been based in a multiverse, and people can't accept a little change? I love the fact that few zelda's look the same yet feel like they deliver the same core experience of a series. It's why Zelda is still one of the freshest game series even today. 

Beyond that, I don't know if the Zelda series could survive being a series with every iteration having a realistic art style. Major studios that use this philosophy are closing down, bought out, or in risk of one or the two. Could this reflect what would happen to Zelda? No, because Nintendo isn't just a game dev, nor is it solely dependant on one system or game series. They got money, and a major financial hit wouldn't really amount to much. However, the ends have to justify the means, and the cost of development would be far greater than the money gained from another mill or two being sold. And that's even if the Wii U would be able to handle a vast open World with realistic graphics in the first place. I'll take a cel shaded Zelda that surpasses Skyrim, then something that looks practically exactly like Skyrim but has better frame rate. 

With the cel shaded style we don't have to sacrifice anything. We get small details rendered very well, we get great looking textures, we get a good lighting system and particle effects, ect. I see absolutely nothing that looks half assed, and that excites me.

curl-6 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

I agree that artstyle has been a constant disscusion regarding maturity, but mechanics are more the cause of the split fanbase.

We went from ALTTP 3D throught 3 day mechanic, sailing, wolf, to motion controls. Now we are back to open world, as the first one.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Definitely Miyamoto, it's not even close. He designed The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, ALttP and OoT. All masterpieces.

Since then we have titles like WW, TP and SS, as well as ALBW. All of Aonuma's titles have been simply building on the OoT formula, or more recently a re-imagining of ALttP. Very little progress and I would argue regression. He introduced the divisive topic of "Artstyle" being an actual thing to discuss. His titles will seldom be heard in discussions of "greatest game of all time", unlike the Miyamoto titles which almost all heard such talk upon release.

The brightest hope for Aonuma Zelda is Zelda U, and this is again not because he is coming up with great ideas, but because he is drawing inspiration from the original incredible game Miyamoto designed so long ago.

I think Aonuma is also responsible for the stupid split timeline thing because they had to fit in the moment of insanity that was WW. Under Miyamoto I'm pretty sure it was just:

OoT->ALttP->Zelda->Zelda II

Also, for those bringing up Majora's Mask, that was the brainchild of Yoshiaki Koizumi. He was a key part of that game design (story, 3-day concept) before leaving to lead his own team.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Also, for those bringing up Majora's Mask, that was the brainchild of Yoshiaki Koizumi. He was a key part of that game design (story, 3-day concept) before leaving to lead his own team.

Thank you for bringing that up and giving him credit. Him and Miyamoto made that story what it is today.