By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455
HintHRO said:
Metallox said:
I prefer the old Miyamoto, not the current one. He would finish to destroy the franchise. I mean, come on, he created Wii Music and ruined Pikmin 3.

The hell is WRONG WITH YOU. Pikmin 3 was awesome. 

Pikmin 3 is awesome, but it's not an improvement from Pikmin 2. Rather than that it's just a reboot from the original Pikmin. And I didn't wait 9 years to get that. Miyamoto should not touch Zelda anymore, he's not as good as he was when he developed the concept of Super Mario Galaxy. I'd call that his last very good creation

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Aonuma is better overall.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Soundwave said:
Give Zelda to EAD Tokyo.

They would make Zelda even more linear than Skyward Sword, and we don't want that. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

sc94597 said:

I numbered your post so that I can reply to each statement. 

1. Not one single factor leads to fewer sales. You might argue that Majora's Mask is different in terms of specific mechanics (which any new game should be) but the graphics were the exact same (if not more detailed in MM) and the Link was even the same Link. Quite obviously the game should have sold similar to OoT, if it weren't for other market-based factors (release date/expansion.)

2. So both games sold over a million at similar points in their respective life-times? Do you think Windwaker HD won't break 2 million? 3 million? For the install base of the Wii U that would be quite impressive. 

3. I will probably concede that it has some effect, but I won't concede to that effect being "huge." There are so many factors involved. To ignore all others, and then say cel-shaded = lower sales (which SS isn't, by the way, SS's lighting effects are NOT cel-shading) is to over-simplify a very complicated market. 

4. Other things Twilight Princess boasted, which were complaints in Windwaker, was a land-based Hyrule, with a large open world, and the return of many OoT conventions which were loved through nostalgia. It wasn't just the art-style. If you watch the trailer, it had much, much more than that. Nevertheless, many of its lofty visions didn't happen in the final-release. 

5. This seems like a total contradiction from your whole post. You want a traditional Zelda with more naturalistic and fewer stylized visuals (TP style), and critize this new game which will have new dungeon and overworld mechanics with an open world, yet also say that Miyamoto and Aonuma can't make the same huge changes that they are making right now? Read any interview in regards to the game, and you can be certain that this is the most different a Zelda title has been since OoT set the 3D standard conventions. 

The only one I have to respond to is number 3... of course the effect is huge. The effect was so huge Nintendo created Twilight Princess because of it.

It's like trying to say Batman & Robin didn't bomb because of its style... of course it bombed because of it.

And yes, it was the art style which is why Twilight Princess got a ton of hype. I remember, I was there. I remember reading all the news up to it, and everyone's reactions.

http://youtu.be/ci4rx4loGXQ?t=3m44s - watch that, and you can see the type of impact Twilight Princess had. The fact is, if Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword or Wind Waker graphics, it wouldn't have got half the hype it did.

And the thing is, even Miyamoto is admitting the changes aren't that drastic. I will wait and see, but honestly this may be the first time I skip a Zelda game ever (since I started playing the series with Link's Awakening). Nintendo needs to put this franchise in new hands.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Aonuma seems hell bent on making Zelda irrelevant. Wind Waker nearly killed the series, Twilight Princess revived it only for them to nearly destroy it with Skyward Sword again.

What the Wii U needs right now is a super killer app. A realistic Zelda could have been that. Instead, we get this weird cel shaded looking stuff which is "beautiful" - right. No one feels the hype for Zelda anymore... it's sad to say.

My fingers are crossed for a Retro Studios Metroid Prime 4. It may not revive sales much but damn would it scratch the itch you're talking about.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Aonuma is better overall.

I have to disagree because Miyamoto IS Nintendo. You only have Nintendo games to play today today because of this man. Without his genius, the NES may very well have been nothing but an afterthought.

sc94597 said:
I never understood the Aonuma hate. Aonuma has directed a variety of different Zelda games, since the N64 era.

Zelda stopped being good after the N64 age. That might have something to do with it.....

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
sc94597 said:
I never understood the Aonuma hate. Aonuma has directed a variety of different Zelda games, since the N64 era.

Zelda stopped being good after the N64 age. That might have something to do with it.....

This is a silly statement. My favorite Zelda games are Majora's Mask and A Link To the Past, and yet I can still appreciate (despite they not being my favorites) OoT, WindWaker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword as not only good games, but great games. Hell, even Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were good games, and they are probably my least favorite Zelda games. Really, I think people who make statements like yours are stuck in nostalgia, but I'll try not to generalize. 

id say aonuma, but myia started zelda, did ocarina and links awakening!
it is hard to say...

Clyde32 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Which Zeldas did Miyamoto make and which did Aonuma make?

Miyamoto made everything up to OoT, Aonuma pitched Majora's Mask, but Miyamoto did the story. They worked together on Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. Aonuma did Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Link Between Worlds.

Based on this, Miyamoto. 

1doesnotsimply