By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Zelda better with Miyamoto or Aonuma?

Which one?

Shigeru Miyamoto 159 34.79%

Eiji Aonuma 164 35.89%

See Results 132 28.88%

Total:455
RolStoppable said:
Aonuma only butchers the Zelda IP while Miyamoto, in his position as general producer for all Nintendo software, destroys Nintendo as a whole

Starfox is Miyamoto's next victim.

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:

Remember the hype for Twilight Princess? Here is an example. That's what the Wii U needs, something where EVERYONE wants to play it.

Like Super Mario 3D World, this game will go out on a whimper. People want a realistic open world Zelda, not this...

This game is going to flop unfortunately. I have been right about everything else so far (Wii U flopping, Mario 3D World flopping, etc. etc.)

More than 1 in 3 of every Wii U owner bought Super Mario 3d World. Thats a FLOP?!
Wii U as a console is faaaar from dead. Wake up already.

And who are all these people who want a realistic Zelda (and at the same time thinks that an unrealistic zelda is worthless)? Please, show me some numbers. Prove that the new Zelda is garbage and won't sell.

Miyamoto. God, I need to replay The Minish Cap, awesome game.

Clyde32 said:
jigokutamago said:
Zelda is best with Keiji Inafune, creator of Mega Man.

He did pretty good with Minish Cap. But this is between Miyamoto.

Inafune made Minish Cap? WHOA, I never knew that back in the day.

It was my favourite Zelda. So much epic and win combined into one game.

jigokutamago said:
Zelda is best with Keiji Inafune, creator of Mega Man.

Heh, the Minish Cap was such a damn good Zelda game! It was actually my favorite handheld Zelda game before the release of A Link Between Worlds!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
FragilE^ said:

More than 1 in 3 of every Wii U owner bought Super Mario 3d World. Thats a FLOP?!

And who are all these people who want a realistic Zelda (and at the same time thinks that an unrealistic zelda is worthless)? Please, show me some numbers. Prove that the new Zelda is garbage and won't sell.

Skyward Sword - 3.76 million sales

Twilight Princess - 6.96 milion

Super Mario 3D World was the LAST thing the Wii U needed. The Wii U needed a successor to Super Mario 64 and Galaxy, not 3D Land. The Wii U's sales are extremely low because Nintendo is acting all strange lately.

Miyamoto was consistent and pushed hardware. Magnum opus: Ocarina of Time, Great mistake: Adventure of Link

Aonuma is inconsistent and cuts corners graphically. Magnum opus: Twilight Princess, Great mistake: Wind Waker

Aonuma fragmented the Zelda fanbase with the introduction of Toon Link games. If he continues to experiment with an established IP then the fanbase will further deteriorate.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

McDonaldsGuy said:
FragilE^ said:

Skyward Sword - 3.76 million sales

Twilight Princess - 6.96 milion

Super Mario 3D World was the LAST thing the Wii U needed. The Wii U needed a successor to Super Mario 64 and Galaxy, not 3D Land. The Wii U's sales are extremely low because Nintendo is acting all strange lately.

Skyward Sword - Launched at the end of the Wii's life and required an add-on (Wii motion +.) Only launched on one console. Was not a launch title. Didn't have 6 years of sales yet. 

Twilight Princess - The total opposite. 

The best comparison sales-wise would be Ocarina of TIme vs. Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time sold high numbers because it was the first LoZ on the 64, released in the 64's prime, sold for many years, and did not require an add-on (memory pack.) Majora's Mask required the memory pack, released at the end of the 64's life when the new consoles were being hyped, and didn't sell for as long as OoT did when the momentum was being carried. 

A game does not need to have the hype TP had to be successful and useful. TP is a unique case, and it ended up being an average Zelda game in the end. 

sc94597 said:

Skyward Sword - Launched at the end of the Wii's life and required an add-on (Wii motion +.) Only launched on one console. Was not a launch title. Didn't have 6 years of sales yet. 

The best comparison sales-wise would be Ocarina of TIme vs. Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time sold high numbers because it was the first LoZ on the 64, released in the 64's prime, sold for many years, and did not require an add-on (memory pack.) Majora's Mask required the memory pack, released at the end of the 64's life when the new consoles were being hyped, and didn't sell for as long as OoT did when the momentum was being carried. 

A game does not need to have the hype TP had to be successful and useful. TP is a unique case, and it ended up being an average Zelda game in the end. 

I disagree and I can prove this. Majora's Mask sold bad yes, because of an expansion pack, but also because it was so different (3 day cycle, heavy focus on masks, etc. etc.) The expansion pack did have an affect, but Wii Motion Plus was far more widespread than the expansion pack (mainly thanks to Wii Sports Resort).... but let's face it, the hype for Skyward Sword was soooo small.

Think of it this way - the remake of Ocarina of Time on 3DS has sold 3.5 million. On the other hand, Wind Waker has just cracked a million. Now, you're response will be 3DS has a larger fanbase but OOT sold over a million when 3DS had a LOWER install base than Wii U.

The art style has a HUGE affect on sales and Zelda has a fractured fanbase because of it. The last thing Nintendo needs is another fractured Zelda fanbase (think GameCube).

You have to remember Twilight Princess got a ton of hype BECAUSE of its graphical art style. In fact, that's why they made Twilight Princess - as a response to the people who criticized Wind Waker. If Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword/Wind Waker art style it wouldn't have gotten half the hype.

The problem is Zelda is just so stale these days. It needs to make HUGE changes, and I don't think either Miyamoto or Aonuma can do that.

McDonaldsGuy said:
sc94597 said:

1. I disagree and I can prove this. Majora's Mask sold bad yes, because of an expansion pack, but also because it was so different (3 day cycle, heavy focus on masks, etc. etc.) The expansion pack did have an affect, but Wii Motion Plus was far more widespread than the expansion pack (mainly thanks to Wii Sports Resort).... but let's face it, the hype for Skyward Sword was soooo small.

2. Think of it this way - the remake of Ocarina of Time on 3DS has sold 3.5 million. On the other hand, Wind Waker has just cracked a million. Now, you're response will be 3DS has a larger fanbase but OOT sold over a million when 3DS had a LOWER install base than Wii U.

3. The art style has a HUGE affect on sales and Zelda has a fractured fanbase because of it. The last thing Nintendo needs is another fractured Zelda fanbase (think GameCube).

4. You have to remember Twilight Princess got a ton of hype BECAUSE of its graphical art style. In fact, that's why they made Twilight Princess - as a response to the people who criticized Wind Waker. If Twilight Princess had Skyward Sword/Wind Waker art style it wouldn't have gotten half the hype.

5. The problem is Zelda is just so stale these days. It needs to make HUGE changes, and I don't think either Miyamoto or Aonuma can do that.

I numbered your post so that I can reply to each statement. 

1. Not one single factor leads to fewer sales. You might argue that Majora's Mask is different in terms of specific mechanics (which any new game should be) but the graphics were the exact same (if not more detailed in MM) and the Link was even the same Link. Quite obviously the game should have sold similar to OoT, if it weren't for other market-based factors (release date/expansion.)

2. So both games sold over a million at similar points in their respective life-times? Do you think Windwaker HD won't break 2 million? 3 million? For the install base of the Wii U that would be quite impressive. 

3. I will probably concede that it has some effect, but I won't concede to that effect being "huge." There are so many factors involved. To ignore all others, and then say cel-shaded = lower sales (which SS isn't, by the way, SS's lighting effects are NOT cel-shading) is to over-simplify a very complicated market. 

4. Other things Twilight Princess boasted, which were complaints in Windwaker, was a land-based Hyrule, with a large open world, and the return of many OoT conventions which were loved through nostalgia. It wasn't just the art-style. If you watch the trailer, it had much, much more than that. Nevertheless, many of its lofty visions didn't happen in the final-release. 

5. This seems like a total contradiction from your whole post. You want a traditional Zelda with more naturalistic and fewer stylized visuals (TP style), and critize this new game which will have new dungeon and overworld mechanics with an open world, yet also say that Miyamoto and Aonuma can't make the same huge changes that they are making right now? Read any interview in regards to the game, and you can be certain that this is the most different a Zelda title has been since OoT set the 3D standard conventions.