By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Series that are disproportionately Popular in Certain Regions

The NA % for 2D Mario is 29.46%, not 45.5% (if the sales number is right).

Barring that, great job.

Around the Network

Europeans love casual crap. I know, that depresses the hell out of me.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Jesus, Salnax, you just don't stop with the really interesting threads. This is just incredible. Why has no one done this before? I need to save this thread somehow to refer to later, it'll be so useful. Like, holy crap, this was a genius idea and I applaud you for the effort you put into it.

Also, this confirms a lot of what I already thought, that Europe and America have different taste in games, that Europe is significantly more casual, and that Zelda is tragically underappreciated in Japan. What would be really interesting is if there were some way to track relative popularity over time. Certain franchises used to be more popular in certain areas than they are now. It would be interesting to see a comparison by region of franchises throughout their history.

What a great, great work.

Very, very interesting, really. Thanks a lot for posting this.

It really seems that Nintendo is paying attention to its audience in regarding its launches..... now if they had invested better on marketing and advertsing......

Around the Network

very well done

Does nintendo has info on the buyers in the different regions? Maybe more female users or kids buy Nintendo stuff in Europe? Or something like that..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Nice read, interesting to see it all spread out like that. As far as I know the Kirby data is incomplete in Europe. It appeared in the German charts this week though, at 229 weeks after launch.

It's going to be an interesting year.

HylianSwordsman said:
Also, this confirms a lot of what I already thought, that Europe and America have different taste in games, that Europe is significantly more casual, and that Zelda is tragically underappreciated in Japan. What would be really interesting is if there were some way to track relative popularity over time. Certain franchises used to be more popular in certain areas than they are now. It would be interesting to see a comparison by region of franchises throughout their history.

I wouldn't necessarily draw this conclusion. This data is for Nintendo-games only. Nintendo always had problems to sell in europe. First was Sega more successful here, then Playstation. The only successful systems are Wii and DS - because they were able to attract complete new users. The usual hardcore-gamers still bought the PS3. That may skew the results towards the casual titles, if this would include series on other systems, europe may not look that casual anymore.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Player2 said:

The NA % for 2D Mario is 29.46%, not 45.5% (if the sales number is right).

Barring that, great job.

I think I forgot to include the GBA games in that box. Fixing right now.

And thanks!

Love and tolerate.