By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Series that are disproportionately Popular in Certain Regions

Europe.  Heh.

Around the Network

That was interesting to read. Thanks!

edit: I find curious Brain Age, both europe and japan has better sales than NA... looks like american people don't like cerebral things or something :o

12 New series talked about! I am interested in these results, and will edit the OP at least one more time, including rewritten bullet points if necessary.

Love and tolerate.

Odd how the US looks like the best market for RPGs.

I have no clue what Advance Wars is.

pokoko said:

I have no clue what Advance Wars is.

Basically, the devs of Fire Emblem take out the RPG aspects and incorporate more Strategy elements like resource management and base building/unit construction. Without a doubt the best series of pure strategy games on handhelds, with four games total ranging from 86 to 92 on Metacritic. Alas, Intelligent Systems seems to have realized that none of this critical acclaim equalled sales. I still play 2005's Dual Strike every so often though.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

Advance Wars sounds fun. I like strategy.

It will be interesting to see how the new Donkey Kong title performs in each region.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you trying to tell me that Nintendo actually knows what they are doing this year? That's mental!

Anywho, I've been looking into this for awhile now. Your collection of all this data just brings the info into further light, great job Salnax.

However, it seems some series (i.e. Zelda, Kirby) are only disproportionally unpopular because other regions have such high sales for them. Zelda has a huge fan base in NA, but that's not to say it doesn't perform alright/well in Japan.

I don't have much to add right now, but damn great thread.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Mnementh said:
Zisbest said:
Wait... WAIT!

Europe doesn't like Fire Emblem, Kirby and Mario RPG's?

I'm pretty sure in the case of Fire Emblem it can be explained with lack of localization for the earlier titles. So the series never built any big fanbase here. Maybe it is the same for Kirby and Mario RPGs, not so sure here.

I think the first Fire Emblem to be localized in PAL regions was also the first to be localized in N.A.  Maybe Smash Bros. introducing Fire Emblem characters and it's popularity in N.A. may have had some influence on the greater FE sales in N.A.

Fantastic work and a good read.