By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Series that are disproportionately Popular in Certain Regions

Edit #3 is live! Math has been corrected, 11 series added, more conclusions drawn, and the chart is as pretty as ever!

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

This is really good stuff, Salnax. One thing that damages the reliability of your findings is the relative success of Wii and GC in the various regions. The GC sold much, much better in NA than Europe but the Wii was closer to even. Since GC saw releases of more "core" titles (while Wii-type titles didn't exist yet), the added consumption of those titles in the US would imply that they are larger consumer of core titles when in fact they were just larger consumers of Gamecubes. I think you see this in the difference of 2D to 3D Mario titles - NA has a greater share of the 3D titles, but that is likely because there was a 3D on GC but not on Wii. The impact on Mario is minimized because Wii sold much more than GC, but it could lead to variances of around 10%. With titles that didn't see release on Wii or GC - or just one title on either, the impact would be much more.

You could argue that Wii sold more in Europe BECAUSE of the casual titles - and that's true to some extent - but I would hesitate to draw conclusions of NA audiences liking the core titles more. I think its more a case of North Americans willing to buy Nintendo machines and hardware regardless - especially the core titles - while Europeans only buy Nintendo if it is the "it" thing to have.

What a wonderful job you've done here, Salnax. It brings some light to the table that helps understand a bit more the movements and game releases that Nintendo has planned for this year.

But I wouldn't say that Europe is more casual. As Mnementh has said, the fact the Nintendo consoles have sold really well in Europe for the first time skews the numbers and the conclusions. After all, Endless Ocean or the Wii... series games have sold more on US than Europe. I would say that we are more prone to try new proposals that not only involve gaming.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

So the US and Japan hate the most Nintendo franchises?

I wonder if Europe will be the biggest supporters proportionately of the new Quality of Life platform? The kinds of titles that would relate to quality of life best, the Wii Fits, the Brain Ages, the Art Academies, all do best in Europe. Wii Sports and Fit do well in America as well, but health is only part of the quality of life platform, there's also education and lifestyle, and Europe loves all three areas. I feel like the quality of life platform might really strengthen the Nintendo brand in Europe.

Around the Network

extremely eye opening! sticky this!

umegames said:
extremely eye opening! sticky this!

I'm involved with too many other threads that I'd rather be stickied. The Nintendomination thread would be stickied in an ideal world and the Most Wanted feature already is.

Let's just bookmark this and I'll come back in a few months or a year to update it.

Meanwhile, I wonder what other companies I can play around with...

Love and tolerate.