By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - There are too many trolls

Are there?

Yes 157 82.20%

No 34 17.80%

Total:191

^Hmm if a post seems like its out of line, then maybe two or three moderators could come to a decision together on what to do about it, by voting on it perhaps?

Around the Network

I disagree, Turkish is inactive for a few days now. (I think)

Yay!!!

Barozi said:

Does it matter though ?
As Kantor pointed out there are at most 5 reports in the queue (with some of them being about the same exact post/topic). Most of the time it's empty, because we're taking care of it.
This is nowhere near as bad as it was before the new mod recruitment, where a mod queue of 10 was almost standard and I've seen it gone up to 22 and more.

In fact when the new mods were unleashed and our internal communication wasn't as good as it is today, we had a lot of double moderations because lots of us were active at the same moment.

More mods wouldn't help. This thread is mostly about offenses in the grey area, where one mod alone can never be 100% sure if it's moderatable or not or how we should proceed with the same kind of offense or user in the future. To make a decision we need to come together and vote and if there were more mods we'd also need more of them to be online at the same time and listen to their opinions.
In the end it would take us just as long or likely even longer to handle such reports.

The problem I see with the mod queue argument will be that a whole bunch of regular posters dont report.

You guys cant be in every thread all the time, thus a few more pairs of eyes scouring the forums would be good, surely. Same can be said for game pages, news stories and so on. Currently there are 2-3 moderators who barely seem to do any moderating be it for whatever reason. Theyre not really taking part in forum discussion too.

I feel that to be a good mod, you need to know who/what youre moderating. You need to be an active member of the community, so to say. The majority of the team are just that. For example...

sega4life has posted about 10 times since September (no posts at all since Nov 12th), with barely any moderations that arent related to sig-length.

As much as I love Monty, hes pretty much give up with the site.

Carl2291 said:
Barozi said:

Does it matter though ?
As Kantor pointed out there are at most 5 reports in the queue (with some of them being about the same exact post/topic). Most of the time it's empty, because we're taking care of it.
This is nowhere near as bad as it was before the new mod recruitment, where a mod queue of 10 was almost standard and I've seen it gone up to 22 and more.

In fact when the new mods were unleashed and our internal communication wasn't as good as it is today, we had a lot of double moderations because lots of us were active at the same moment.

More mods wouldn't help. This thread is mostly about offenses in the grey area, where one mod alone can never be 100% sure if it's moderatable or not or how we should proceed with the same kind of offense or user in the future. To make a decision we need to come together and vote and if there were more mods we'd also need more of them to be online at the same time and listen to their opinions.
In the end it would take us just as long or likely even longer to handle such reports.

1) The problem I see with the mod queue argument will be that a whole bunch of regular posters dont report.

2) You guys cant be in every thread all the time, thus a few more pairs of eyes scouring the forums would be good, surely. Same can be said for game pages, news stories and so on. Currently there are 2-3 moderators who barely seem to do any moderating be it for whatever reason. Theyre not really taking part in forum discussion too.

I feel that to be a good mod, you need to know who/what youre moderating. You need to be an active member of the community, so to say. The majority of the team are just that. For example...

sega4life has posted about 10 times since September (no posts at all since Nov 12th), with barely any moderations that arent related to sig-length.

As much as I love Monty, hes pretty much give up with the site.

These are the only valid points you make.

1) I don't see this as an issue at all. Most of the stuff we moderate has been reported and that usually several times by different users. If it's an active thread you can be sure that someone is going to report a violation of the rules within 1 hour tops.
We hope to see more reports from those users who don't bother, but it's not really an issue currently.

2) That's where regular users can help us (see the first point). Other than that we have mods covering all possible forums, whereas we previously had a lack of mods in the general discussion. Though these times are history thanks to Mr Khan & Kasz.
I doubt you'll see a bigger thread without a moderator post in it and even if not there's still a good chance one of us has looked through it.

The rest is irrelevant. If we doubled the number of mods and 4-6 wouldn't be active you could still complain even though there would be clearly more active mods than before.

I thenk the modes are doing a fine jhob theres lotes of enterestimg sales discushon going on atm this Fred serves no perpuss

Around the Network

Since we're on the topic of mods, I think it's ridiculous that we're not allowed to discuss this weeks sales. We came to this site to discuss weekly sales, yet we're prohibited from doing so. Wtf?!

man-bear-pig said:
I thenk the modes are doing a fine jhob theres lotes of enterestimg sales discushon going on atm this Fred serves no perpuss

This Fred isn't about the modes, not even about the mods, it's about trolling. Try reading the OP.

happydolphin said:
man-bear-pig said:

This Fred isn't about the modes, not even about the mods, it's about trolling. Try reading the OP.

Bu....bu...but I did read the OP. I posted in this Fred yesterday, remember?

man-bear-pig said:

I understand. Since yesterday you must have forgotten this little bit of the OP:

I'm sad to say guys, but it looks like the threads are getting submerged with trolling and fanboyism and I've been finding it very difficult to actual have meaningful debate in the threads of late.

Is there a solution to this, mod team? Users?

No biggie

happydolphin said:
man-bear-pig said:

I understand. Since yesterday you must have forgotten this little bit of the OP:

I'm sad to say guys, but it looks like the threads are getting submerged with trolling and fanboyism and I've been finding it very difficult to actual have meaningful debate in the threads of late.

Is there a solution to this, mod team? Users?

No biggie

Sori 4 rooining ur Fred