By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - There are too many trolls

Are there?

Yes 157 82.20%

No 34 17.80%

Total:191

The way I see it, people you - Happydolphin - are a far larger problem to this site than the vast majority of trolls. You see problems where there are none, and then insult people based on them. You repeatedly insult people based on next to nothing, like you do with Spurge in this thread. Telling someone that they're "shitting up this site" is a pretty serious accusation.

There aren't many trolls on this site. There are people with vastly differing views from you, including views I cannot see the logic in. When you call them trolls, you're assuming that they're choosing that stance simply to annoy you (and other people). That's a rather self-obsessed view.

When you then reply to these people in your normal, insulting way, they'll respond accordingly. To you, this is proof that they were trolling all along, but it's (usually) just a natural response to your rudeness.

If you assume the best in people, any respond factually, attempt to disprove their stance objectively, rather than insulting them, it usually works out very well. Treat the "trolls" with kindness and respect, and suddenly it's aparent that they were never actually trolling.

Or let's put it like this. The point of a forum is to exchange views on subjets, and after exchanging them, trying to improve them. When you dismiss people with odd views as trolls, you'll never be able to learn them anything, or learn from them. You've condemned yourself to never actually having an interesting discussion.

Around the Network

i think people like rol and kowen should be mods,seece should have been a mod and say euphoria,superchunk the older users that are around there are loads of them but maybe you disappear when you are a mod,amp was a good choice,of course i'm not saying newer users cannot be mods people like barozi,khan are around but if you are rarely here what's the point of being a mod,of course you have to want to do the job in the first place

Above & Beyond

I used to visit this website regularly a few years ago when PS3/360/Wii all launched and found it informative with worthwhile debates.  I recently came back to learn about the Wii U and rumors for the NeXBox and PS4 and have been disappointed in how immature a lot of the comments are.  I'd like to find a good video game news website that isn't full of immature boys that can't control themselves and discuss things objectively.

Just a little perspective for those of you who want to see all competition die and have Xbox rule the gaming universe.  I suggest you take a look at what Microsoft did when they eliminated Netscape and all other browser competition--once there was no competition, all innovation, R&D, and investment stopped, and they implemented there own tools to avoid web standards and make it hard for new browsers in the future to become disruptive.  When Firefox started gaining market share, there were so many websites that wouldn't display because they had been designed for IE.

As someone who's been playing video games since Pong, I will say the absolute worst thing that could happen to our hobby is for competition to cease.  And for those of you up to the challenge--take a look at what your non-favorite hardware manufacturers offer--whether it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.  You may surprise yourself and find out all systems that have a degree of success provide unique ways to have fun.  And at the end of the day, it's really just about fun.

People saying we don't have enough mods: We have more moderators than we have ever had in the past. The mod queue is currently empty. This is certainly not a problem of an insufficient quantity of moderators.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Pineapple said:

The way I see it, people you - Happydolphin - are a far larger problem to this site than the vast majority of trolls. You see problems where there are none, and then insult people based on them. You repeatedly insult people based on next to nothing, like you do with Spurge in this thread. Telling someone that they're "shitting up this site" is a pretty serious accusation.

There aren't many trolls on this site. There are people with vastly differing views from you, including views I cannot see the logic in. When you call them trolls, you're assuming that they're choosing that stance simply to annoy you (and other people). That's a rather self-obsessed view.

When you then reply to these people in your normal, insulting way, they'll respond accordingly. To you, this is proof that they were trolling all along, but it's (usually) just a natural response to your rudeness.

If you assume the best in people, any respond factually, attempt to disprove their stance objectively, rather than insulting them, it usually works out very well. Treat the "trolls" with kindness and respect, and suddenly it's aparent that they were never actually trolling.

Or let's put it like this. The point of a forum is to exchange views on subjets, and after exchanging them, trying to improve them. When you dismiss people with odd views as trolls, you'll never be able to learn them anything, or learn from them. You've condemned yourself to never actually having an interesting discussion.

As far as I'm concerned, a troll and a fanboy are two of the same things - people looking to mindlessly argue something for all the wrong reasons. If there is no logic in a post, should it be allowed? With a site that has such potency for fanboys, there is the inevitable issue:

1) Prevent all fanboy bs, but result would be drastic drop in traffic.
2) Keep fanboy bs and traffic remains as it is. 

Sadly the internet is not a place designed for good, logical debate. Considering how revenue is generated, it is actually opposed to this - get the most extreme people in as they will inevitably keep on posting and bolstering traffic figures. 
Saying that if you respond sensibly and politely works never has for me. One of the main issues I think is that the internet becomes a social outlet for those with social issues and cannot ever admit fault in their thinking. I've had people argue fallacies and refuse to see otherwise even after I went to the trouble of pointing out the inherent flaw with their arguments. 

If you run on the idea that the average joe is insecure and therefore will get aggressive as soon as you point out any flaws in their argument, that will prepare you for the wonders of the online internet community. 

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said: text

I read it all and I'm glad I did. There are so many things in here that I had no idea I should be doing.

Where to start, I have not taken the habit to do almost any of these. I barely know the rules. I think that's where I'll start.

I like how you caught on to that thread closing thing, it was bugging me but I never fully put my finger on it. I realized that some threads were getting locked when users should've been banned, but never realized that there were people even going above and beyond to get the threads closed if it doesn't suit them. It's really sad.

But things like making an actual case in the reports is a good idea. When I report, I usually do one liners and let the mod decide, but if I actually make a case for the moderation of a user, that has more weight and value.

Also, encouraging users that I believe are taking the right approach is a good idea because it helps people know what they're doing right. It also encourages others to want to be that way too.

Thank you, this is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Kantor said:
People saying we don't have enough mods: We have more moderators than we have ever had in the past. The mod queue is currently empty. This is certainly not a problem of an insufficient quantity of moderators.

Active mods.

I feel that there are 4 mods who arent really active.

Like others have said this is a sales site. Your going to get very strong opinions here.

And that's one of the best things about this site, the posters have real character and stand out. I don't see too much blatant trolling here. Just lots of debates and strong opinions

Carl2291 said:
Kantor said:

Active mods.

Well, if the queue is empty, perhaps it just means people arent reporting enough?  I know I dont really like to report unless the person is just blatantly trolling everybody in the thread...

Carl2291 said:
Kantor said:

Active mods.

Does it matter though ?
As Kantor pointed out there are at most 5 reports in the queue (with some of them being about the same exact post/topic). Most of the time it's empty, because we're taking care of it.
This is nowhere near as bad as it was before the new mod recruitment, where a mod queue of 10 was almost standard and I've seen it gone up to 22 and more.

In fact when the new mods were unleashed and our internal communication wasn't as good as it is today, we had a lot of double moderations because lots of us were active at the same moment.

More mods wouldn't help. This thread is mostly about offenses in the grey area, where one mod alone can never be 100% sure if it's moderatable or not or how we should proceed with the same kind of offense or user in the future. To make a decision we need to come together and vote and if there were more mods we'd also need more of them to be online at the same time and listen to their opinions.
In the end it would take us just as long or likely even longer to handle such reports.