By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you feel about the performance of the VGChartz mod team?

How is the VGChartz mod team doing?

It's doing a great job. 299 32.97%

It's doing okay. 143 15.77%

It's not doing well. 432 47.63%

Total:874
Torillian said:
alrighty, I'll start things off a bit then.

I like how quickly things are moving along, that's always nice to see when new mods are brought on. It sucks when a moderator job is up for more than a few hours so it's nice to see that notification on my screen going away relatively quickly.

I have seen a number of moderations that seemed overly harsh, and, to me, don't remain consistent. This has been a problem for a while but it remains that it seems like some posters can get away with relative murder which I'm never a fan of.

Also notice sometimes moderations are done because something is annoying instead of it necessarily being against the rules. Can't fall too far into this because then users don't know why things are being moderated while others aren't and you end up moderating based on personal preference which is something I dislike about the Gaf forums.

Finally a few mods seem to have too thin of a skin. It's important to remember that as a mod not only is it expected that you'll almost always be on your best forum behavior, but you have to be willing to take a little abuse here and there without reprisal to keep things moving smoothly on the forums.

Overall I think you're doing well, and as I mentioned I'm glad that jobs are being done quickly. I've seen no noticeable bias on a platform basis which is always good, and I'm happy to see people who are active on the forums as mods again.

^This

Agree with almost of of your points, especially about some mods having too thin of skin. 

With that said, I think you guys are doing a great job. You have to manage a site with a pretty large forum community that has to put up with some very immature users. At times however the reasons for moderations are quite silly. For example I don't like how you can be banned/warned for calling somebody a "troll" if you back it up with valid reasons. It happened to me. I said in the thread that bashing a company without any constructive critisism was trolling, which it was. Many people agreed with me. Not sure what I did wrong that the guy trolling did not do....

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
Torillian said:
alrighty, I'll start things off a bit then.

I like how quickly things are moving along, that's always nice to see when new mods are brought on. It sucks when a moderator job is up for more than a few hours so it's nice to see that notification on my screen going away relatively quickly.

I have seen a number of moderations that seemed overly harsh, and, to me, don't remain consistent. This has been a problem for a while but it remains that it seems like some posters can get away with relative murder which I'm never a fan of.

Also notice sometimes moderations are done because something is annoying instead of it necessarily being against the rules. Can't fall too far into this because then users don't know why things are being moderated while others aren't and you end up moderating based on personal preference which is something I dislike about the Gaf forums.

Finally a few mods seem to have too thin of a skin. It's important to remember that as a mod not only is it expected that you'll almost always be on your best forum behavior, but you have to be willing to take a little abuse here and there without reprisal to keep things moving smoothly on the forums.

Overall I think you're doing well, and as I mentioned I'm glad that jobs are being done quickly. I've seen no noticeable bias on a platform basis which is always good, and I'm happy to see people who are active on the forums as mods again.

^This

Agree with almost of of your points, especially about some mods having too thin of skin. 

With that said, I think you guys are doing a great job. You have to manage a site with a pretty large forum community that has to put up with some very immature users. At times however the reasons for moderations are quite silly. For example I don't like how you can be banned/warned for calling somebody a "troll" if you back it up with valid reasons. It happened to me. I said in the thread that bashing a company without any constructive critisism was trolling, which it was. Many people agreed with me. Not sure what I did wrong that the guy trolling did not do....

Here's the thing. You're supposed to make that argument to us, directly, via the comment box in the report button. You are not supposed to derail discussion by saying why so-and-so is being a troll.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I admit I find the "thing are getting progressively worse and more quiet, so we have to make as much noise as possible to maintain the status quo" line of reasoning endearing

Well this thread has been...useful. If you need any more mods, I'll happily provide my services to help. I'll apply and all that as well; it's been 18 months since my last moderation so that's a good sign. Doesn't hurt to have another mod to help, right?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:

Making whole threads out of articles happens on every forum including your beloved GAF.

It provides you with a sort of comment section for the article with a community of people you "know".

Are you going to explain what is wrong with it or continue repeating yourself and asserting that it is bad practice?

This marks the fifth time that I have told you I'm not a member of the GAFs, nor do I browse there regularly. At some point it's going to stick. Thoguh no, for the record, it does not happen on every forum.

The problem is that it creates a diffusion of the limited conversational resources that this forum has, and those are dwindling by the year. It's especially problematic when many of these articles deal with the same subject - for instance, Sony's money situation - and contributes more and more to the culture of disposable discussion whereby no conversation is meant to last or even can last in a forum where shortened attention spans are encouraged to be the norm.

And do I really need to say why posting reviews from other sites as their own topics is a bad idea?

The whole thing, articles and reviews both, contributes to the forum being an iterative soup with far less original or meaningful content than it might have otherwise. What percentage of threads being comment threads on articles or reviews from other sites would be unacceptable, here? Would it need to be half? More? Is there any theoretical threshhold at which you would go "All right, that's a bit much, the forum's content is not related to the site's content enough any more"?

I am saying there needs to be a standard of topicality.

See, I was trying to look through the Penny Arcade forums for a thread which was a link to another article, and promptly realised that their entire forum is official discussion threads. Ugh, talk about lack of variety. It's not a forum at all; it's a collection of one-thread subforums.

I agree with you about the reviews, because each game will have, say, 70-80 reviews which have exactly the same subject matter. Articles, however, are entirely different. Articles have unique arguments to make about unique topics and spark unique discussion and I honestly don't see the difference between a well-written OP talking about a subject, and an OP referring to an article on another website written about that same subject.

Oh, and we don't have "limited conversational resources", that is complete rubbish. Banning the sorts of threads you don't like would not turn us into Penny Arcade, it would turn us into a wasteland.

When in your four years here you have never observed this site as being anything like the Penny Arcade forums (which incidentally are extraordinarily similar to the NeoGAF forums except that NeoGAF occasionally discusses something new), what makes you think that we could ever even want to be like them?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:

See, I was trying to look through the Penny Arcade forums for a thread which was a link to another article, and promptly realised that their entire forum is official discussion threads. Ugh, talk about lack of variety. It's not a forum at all; it's a collection of one-thread subforums.

I agree with you about the reviews, because each game will have, say, 70-80 reviews which have exactly the same subject matter. Articles, however, are entirely different. Articles have unique arguments to make about unique topics and spark unique discussion and I honestly don't see the difference between a well-written OP talking about a subject, and an OP referring to an article on another website written about that same subject.

Oh, and we don't have "limited conversational resources", that is complete rubbish. Banning the sorts of threads you don't like would not turn us into Penny Arcade, it would turn us into a wasteland.

When in your four years here you have never observed this site as being anything like the Penny Arcade forums (which incidentally are extraordinarily similar to the NeoGAF forums except that NeoGAF occasionally discusses something new), what makes you think that we could ever even want to be like them?

You are laboring under the assumption that I want these forums to fall under the auspices or styling of any other particular forum.

You are mistaken.

I simply am pointing out things that I don't like; I demand nothing. I expect nothing. I intend to steer the forums in no way. But - and this is important - I cannot help seeing the tone of threads and the defensiveness concerning the status quo as feeding into a

Hrm, how best to put this

There is an old idea of the idea that 'nerd' used to refer to intelligence and discipline, rather than obsession. They are not mutually exclusive, but this is a forum more grounded in obsession than most.

spurgeonryan said:
I am not saying it should not have been locked, but there is no reason the Poster should have been banned for it. Extreme hogwash!

Also the DS vs PS2 discussions seemed to bring some users out of hiding and made others feel alive again on a site that is more or less shutting down. What was wrong with that Pezus?

As for reviews from other sites. People post them because many members like to comment or discuss them without going to other sites. Same with articles. Not having them here makes absolutely no sense!

As for thread quality. Holy fuck! Therenwere like 5 threads this past weekend. Take whatever you can get. If they want to make a dozen well done unbiased reviews, let them. Because the next day it could be down to just a few non-discussion worthy threads. Not to mention that the older a thread becomes, the deader it become on this site. Anyone notice giggs all in on thread? Died! Posting weekly numbers is the only way people remember or notice. If the unbiased reviews were crammed in one thread people would ignore it or forget.

The stricter you get, will mean more interesting users and threads leaving. Some of the stuff up above is total mind numbing hogwash. Don't forget to cater to new members who joined for the site as it is now. You guys always, along with ioi, forget to cater to everyone on this site. It usually is based on your memories and how you wish it still was. It is not alwasy what "you" like. In a community you need to think of others. ioi thought of what his friends only wanted and now we have a broken site whilenwe wait torn...gamewise.

V.A.G

Banned for doing it once - Insane. Giving a verbal warning, fine. 2nd time, mod action. 3rd time, ban.

The DS vs PS2 discussions should had never happened. They came about because the site reported factually incorrect numbers. People saw it and instantly thought it was true because they were too lazy to check the facts. Articles like what Jay posted do this. They spread incorrect information that people percieve as fact.

On a site like VGChartz, this leads to bad things.

spurgeonryan said:
Check console sales chart. Seems DS is still there on top. People do not need to go to that site. We have the numbers here.

Which isnt being pushed out as fact like the article was. The numbers there are estimations.

They will also be fixing the numbers, according to ioi

It's terrible. Amp316 can make jokes and get away with them because of who he is.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

It's terrible. I can't make jokes and get away with them because certain mods don't get my sense of humour.