By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This rampant Wii U hate does not seem logical

The Wii U hate must stop. I mean, cant we all just get along?

Around the Network

With stronger 3rd party support, i would drop the 360 (720) like a bad habit in favour of the WiiU.

If anyone deserves to succeed in this business, its one of the greatest GAMING companies of all time..... Nintendo.

Squilliam said:
SaviorX said:
Squilliam said:
Nintendo haven't exactly handled the launch particularly well. We don't know the price or really even a concrete release date so it is hard for supporters to really get into it.

On the other hand if you already own a PS3/Xbox 360 what does the Wii U bring to the table? It brings a tablet controller and that is about it. I believe people want more than a retread of what they already own, many people are more than ready for a next generation and what is the Wii U except a retread of the existing one?

LOL

I feel like if you switch 360 and Wii around, this situation is the exact same thing as Move & Kinect. 

The tablet is another new method of control. I'm not really sure what else they could have done instead.

What does the Wii U offer someone whom already has an Xbox 360?

Well, the obvious answer is the WiiU Gamepad.  Never before has the touchscreen interface, asymmetrical gameplay or streaming ability that Nintendo is championing been done with a home console before.

The other big reason is the games; not the multiplats, there I agree, but specifically Nintendo's games with up-to-date HD graphics.  Obviously I'm not talking about people who don't like Nintendo games, but the simple fact is that the mass gamers (i.e not the enthusiasts) are quite happy with the visual fidelity we're at now with the HD consoles.  My point being that many people are likely to see more justification in upgrading Nintendo's console for their Zelda and Mario to be at the "current" level than they would be in upgrading Xbox or Playstation to "even prettier" levels when they're already happy with how their Halo or God of War look.

Chark said:
Honestly the hate for the Wii U pales in comparison to the Hate for Vita, so I barely notice it.

I live in germany. I used Google News around the Vita-launch and the media was full of praise for the Power of the Vita and comes a real handheld and so on. Even now, maybe some media mentions the bad sales, but overall it contains praise for a new function or game or whatever.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

FromDK said:
Can't wait to see how the wii u will do.. Remember this is the first time ever.. Nintendo are going to start a new generation.. (if we don't count handheld) This is going to be big.. very big.. The big N...

Errm, weren't they first in the third gen?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Chark said:
Honestly the hate for the Wii U pales in comparison to the Hate for Vita, so I barely notice it.

I live in germany. I used Google News around the Vita-launch and the media was full of praise for the Power of the Vita and comes a real handheld and so on. Even now, maybe some media mentions the bad sales, but overall it contains praise for a new function or game or whatever.

Ah, so we are only talking about media. Well that is mostly because of Nintendo's last two E3 confernences not being that great and their lack of information about the console so close to its release date. No doubt there is some questioning on how well the Wii U will do, will they retain the casual gamer, can they regroup the hardcore? Stuff like that. It does seem the Wii U will have a lot of difficulty during its launch. It isn't that much more powerful than the PS3 and the 360 while trying to implement a new type of controller. Things could go well, things could go bad. The system will do fine. How hateful have the articles been really? Or are they just slightly negative and fans are taking offense?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Illogical Nintendo hate is par for the course. As much as people are making fools of themselves over the Wii U, it was a lot worse with the Wii because the motion controls were a radical departure compared to a screen in the controller (and the fact that they were releasing another console was a slap to the face of the people screaming that Nintendo was going 3rd party after the Gamecube). Wii U is just catching flak from all the resentment people had from the Wii's success, that's why most of the criticism isn't really based on anything solid and is steep in fanboy wishful thinking.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

lilbroex said:
Soundwave said:

I recall the initial press reaction to the 3DS to be pretty good. Nintendo showed a lot of content (Zelda: OoT 3D, Pilotwings, Paper Mario, Nintendogs, etc.) on top of a lot of third party announcements (Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts).

The Wii U is getting a bit of a bad rap, but honestly maybe it's deserved. If tomorrow Sony showed off the Playstation 4 and it was:

- Moderately upgraded from the PS3 basically with more RAM and a bit better in a few other areas.
- Had a traditional controller with the big hook being a touchscreen in the middle of the screen.
- One the big selling points is the ability to play on the 6 inch screen vs. the 40-50 inch TV most people have.
- Had no really huge third party exclusives outside of a Zombie game from Ubi Soft
- The big game to launch the machine with was a mini-game collection and another Uncharted game that looked a bit like the last 3 Uncharted games.

Do you think the press would be raving about it? Probably not.

Nintendo finally catching up and joining the world of 720p gaming, digital download content, achievements/accomplishments, online messaging/friending, and reverting back to a more traditional type of controller simply isn't that exciting of a news story.

I'm sure it'll be a fun system. But it's not exactly the most interested hardware Nintendo's ever produced.

Also a lot of the press are older adults who want content tailored towards them. The casual side of the Wii U with things like Nintendo Land, SiNG, Just Dance IV, Lego City Stories, Wii Fit U, etc. just isn't appealling to them.

All third party games are native 1080p on the Wii U, not 720p.

That doesnt explain the biggest issues I pointed out at all. Like how they are twisting good news to sound bad and ignoring good news that they can't twist. The console does have a traditional controller. Its called the classic ontroller, the new reviision, the U pro controller.

The Wii U isn't a "moderate" upgrade from the Wii or the PS3. Its a huge upgrade. It supports DX11 level tesslations an all games are running at higher native resolutions and higher frame rates as well as more complex geometry and detailed shading.

This is no moderate upgrade.

You're mistaken on the 1080p bit for third party games, none of the Wii U third party games run at 1080p outside of Scibblenauts I believe. Pretty much everything else is 720p. 

The above shots are nice but nothing mind blowingly beyond what's on the PS3/360. That looks like a mid-tier 360 game. If Sony showed up tomorrow with that and said that was Playstation 4 or Microsoft debuted that XBox 720, a lot of the press would rip them apart. 

Soundwave said:

You're mistaken on the 1080p bit for third party games, none of the Wii U third party games run at 1080p outside of Scibblenauts I believe. Pretty much everything else is 720p. 

The above shots are nice but nothing mind blowingly beyond what's on the PS3/360. That looks like a mid-tier 360 game. If Sony showed up tomorrow with that and said that was Playstation 4 or Microsoft debuted that XBox 720, a lot of the press would rip them apart. 

I don't know where you heard that fabricatoin, but all Wii U third parties game that have had their resolutions confirmed have confirmed it to run the games at 1080 at 60 FPS.

Only 1st party games are going to be limited to 720p per NIntendo's own personal choice.

Those shots are a Zero tier 360 game. There isn't one 360 game that uses textures that clean and high res with that much detail in real time with that much happening on screen at once.

lilbroex said:
Soundwave said:

I don't know where you heard that fabricatoin, but all Wii U third parties game that have had their resolutions confirmed have confirmed it to run the games at 1080 at 60 FPS.

Only 1st party games are going to be limited to 720p per NIntendo's own personal choice.

Those shots are a Zero tier 360 game. There isn't one 360 game that uses textures that clean and high res with that much detail in real time with that much happening on screen at once.

LOL, give me a source that states all Wii U third party games run at 1080p. You might be mistaking 1080p upscaling, that's not native rendering, the PS3/360 can do that as well. FIFA, Madden, Batman Arkham City, etc. all these games are 720p. 

Why the hell would Nintendo limit their own games to 720p if the system is capable of cranking out higher end games like Assassin's Creed 3 at 1080p? Don't give me that "it costs more to make a 1080p game" that's a crock of BS, every PC game ships with multiple resolutions, it doesn't affect development cost, it's just a matter of whether or not the hardware can handle that or not. 

Those pictures are nothing special. This is the beginning point of what people are looking for from next-gen consoles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7WGAJPRRw