By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The King (PS2) shall remain on it's throne

The DS put up a good fight but it looks like the PS2 is going to remain on it's thrown for the most sold console/handheld. Looking at shipped sales the DS shipped 151.52 million as of March 31st, 2012. Now I'm not sure of the to date numbers of the PS2 but as of November 21st, 2011 the PS2 shipped 154.4 million consoles, so it's safe to safe including holiday boost the PS2 is over 155 million by now, but let's use this number for calculating. So that makes the gap about 3.5 million away shipped. Nintendo also forcast that the DS will ship about 250K for next quarter (which is about what it's selling 21K a week).

Now a look at weekly sales shows that the PS2 and DS are probably pretty even. The DS is averaging about 20K a week, now it wouldn't surprise me if the PS2 was close to that number, it had a very strong hold inthe East over all consoles and in Japan there about the same. According to VG chartz actual sales are 153.68 million for the PS2 and 151.82 for the DS, thats about 1.8 million away for consoles sold.

Now let's say the DS is selling 50K more then the PS2 every week (way overestimate yes, but should even out for holiday sales) then it should take the DS 70 weeks to outsell the PS2 (almost fall of 2013), now that's if the PS2 stops being shipped today and the DS average 50K every week for the next 70 weeks...not looking good.

Around the Network

DS lost.

PS2 will sit around 160 million by the time PS4 comes out next year holidays.

It looks like even the Wii won't win against the PS1 sales either.

Sony did a damn good job with their 10 year plan.

Well, at least it printed more money and sold better in Japan - which as we all know, is the market that matters!

Oh well. The DS still can claim a respectable throne as the best selling portable gaming device of all time, and the PS2 can claim the spot for both gaming console AND DVD player. Everybody wins!

Love and tolerate.

Amazing, really. 18 Months ago we were saying it was a matter of when, not if. Now were saying no chance.

Around the Network

Goddamnit! When I saw the word 'thrown', I knew it was wrong but at that very moment, I also completely forgot the correct word! I just had to look it up somewhere else.

On topic: Not a huge surprise, really. The DS has had quite good times already but even its era must come to an end - and Nintendo seems to be doing a decent job ending that era themselves with the 3DS.

Nintendo only has themselves to blame for having a successful follow up to the DS. Stupid fucks.

Carl2291 said:
Amazing, really. 18 Months ago we were saying it was a matter of when, not if. Now were saying no chance.

Nintendo cut the DS's life short with the release of the 3DS.   Granted DS had saturated the Japanese market but it was still the top selling system in the rest of the world.    

It's a wonder they didn't release WiiU last year and launch 3DS this year.   Sales would have been much better all around for Nintendo and DS would have without doubt surpassed PS2.

At any rate, looks like PS2 will indeed get to keep it's crown.   That's okay, it was an awesome system, it deserves it.

Deserved...PS2 top seller console ever. I´m sure the PS2 will still be selling decently when the PS4 comes out.

Carl2291 said:

Times change lol