By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The King (PS2) shall remain on it's throne

Valdney said:

The PS2's failure rate was kind of high, wasn't it? I had  2 and I know a lot people that did too.

Doesn't really matter.  The DS by nature would have a lot of replacement sales too.  I have kids and they break those suckers like nobodies business.  Point being while the DS itself has a pretty solid failure rate by usage it will have been lost, broken and replaced more than enough to balance any PS2 replacements.  It's also got enough market share (like the PS2) to probably see a steady rate of replacement sales with people who still want to use it but their's has failed finally.

It evens out for the most part so there's little sense (unless you're talking huge, unprecidented levels of replacement) invoking it as a reason to doubt the "true" sales of a console.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
supermario128 said:
I would say it is a bit early to declare the PS2 the winner. DS still has a bunch of great games coming out including Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. Which we know will be huge... Plus, let's not forget what a big price drop across the whole DS family would do for sales. I wonder how cheap Nintendo could actually get these devices while still making profit?

Theres already what like 20 Pokemon games for the DS? It's not much of a system seller anymore. Black and White which had one of the best first weeks of any game only raised hardware sales 17% but in Japan sales doubled, I still can't see sales over 20K for Japan on the release of B&W2 now though, not with sales hovering around 1K and the 3DS out.

Unless there's a new different original big game coming out for the DS it really has no more system sellers left.

3rd world markets will keep PS2 alive for some time. Hell thats why its thriving now.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

No king slayer can take the iron throne from the PS2!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

DS still sells (for a dying console) well every except Japan, it has a chance.

Around the Network
VicViper said:
Well, at least it printed more money and sold better in Japan - which as we all know, is the market that matters!

Remember that the DS sold a lot less software than the PS2 though. Also, why does the Japanese market matter more than any other market?

And the third world markets are notoriously the hardest to properly track sales. IMO PS2 isundertracked by up to 1 million in those areas alone

darthdevidem01 said:
No king slayer can take the iron throne from the PS2!

Except the kingslayer is one of the kings own guard.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Anything can happen yet. Just keep in mind that Pokemon Black & White 2 has yet to come out, let alone whatever other big games Nintendo still has planned down the road for the original DS.

It will remain the king, but in my opinion the ds was as succesful in less time, unfortuately ninty doesnt do the 10 years plan.