By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The King (PS2) shall remain on it's throne

Jumpin said:

DS will still sell another 15 millions in 2 years. PS2 at best will sell another 1-1.25 million total.

The major reason DS sales went down quicker than PS2 is because PS2 didn't have a worthy successor, and DS did.

DS is only 2 million behind PS2 at this moment (probably already past it in shipments); after a probable price drop and Pome on Black and White 2 this holiday seasons, DS will be ahead of PS2 easily and probably extend the lead to 10 million within 3 years.

Even Nintendo themself doesn't expect that?! DS shipped about 500K last quarter and Nintendo expects to ship 250K this quarter how can sales be higher next year?? and dont say pokemon, I already explained that.

The DS would be lucky to do 5 million in 2 years.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
Jumpin said:

DS will still sell another 15 millions in 2 years. PS2 at best will sell another 1-1.25 million total.

The major reason DS sales went down quicker than PS2 is because PS2 didn't have a worthy successor, and DS did.

DS is only 2 million behind PS2 at this moment (probably already past it in shipments); after a probable price drop and Pome on Black and White 2 this holiday seasons, DS will be ahead of PS2 easily and probably extend the lead to 10 million within 3 years.

Even Nintendo themself doesn't expect that?! DS shipped about 500K last quarter and Nintendo expects to ship 250K this quarter how can sales be higher next year?? and dont say pokemon, I already explained that.

The DS would be lucky to do 5 million in 2 years.

Of course, there's also the chance that Nintendo may take the DS off the market before 2 years is up.  I would imagine Sony is going to discontinue PS2 sales, except for maybe in smaller regions, within a year or two, as well.  Nintendo to help push sales of the 3DS, and Sony to sway people to purchase the PS4 if it has PS2 B/C (God, I hope it does.)  For now, it seems the two are shipping similar numbers, with the DS having maybe a few 100K more than the PS2.  Heck, Q3 2011, the PS2 outshipped the DS.

Um, NBA 2K12, Madden 12, The Show 12, and other games have released on PS2 in the last year alone.

It's absolutely insane. That the system has NEW games releasing in 2012.

The PS2 is legendary. 

although ps2 will be remebered as one of the most premire consoles, not only for sales but also games. last gen it was xbox 1 for me

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

bouzane said:
Jumpin said:

How on Earth is the DS going to sell 15 million units in 2 years when it's struggling to sell 25k a week?

It is selling under 25K a week in April. It will sell several million during the holiday season as it did last year. This holiday season will also include a Pokemon game and likely a price drop. A cheap enough videogame console makes a very good Christmas gift; especially a Nintendo one with a Pokemon game.

I will note that DS software is currently doubling PS2, PSP, and PSP Vita sales combined on a weekly basis. It clearly has more buyer's eyes on it than those three consoles do presently.

All the DS has to do is sell another 1.8 million consoles to surpass the PS2. This it will easily do during the next holiday season; it is inevitable.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
bouzane said:
Jumpin said:

How on Earth is the DS going to sell 15 million units in 2 years when it's struggling to sell 25k a week?

It is selling under 25K a week in April. It will sell several million during the holiday season as it did last year. This holiday season will also include a Pokemon game and likely a price drop. A cheap enough videogame console makes a very good Christmas gift; especially a Nintendo one with a Pokemon game.

I will note that DS software is currently doubling PS2, PSP, and PSP Vita sales combined on a weekly basis. It clearly has more buyer's eyes on it than those three consoles do presently.

All the DS has to do is sell another 1.8 million consoles to surpass the PS2. This it will easily do during the next holiday season; it is inevitable.

The wii is selling three times the DS and it's highly doubtful it'll do 15 million in 2 years....

Like I said the DS has no more system sellers, as much as Pokemon B/W2 sells its not going to move any systems. Software means shit if it doesn't bring in new buyers. Same games, sequels, remakes at this point on the DS won't move hardware. The PS2 is still being shipped and doing well.

Jumpin said:
bouzane said:
Jumpin said:

Game launches don't move significant amounts of hardware, especially a sequel on such a mature platform. You seem to forget that the PS2 is also continuing to sell to this day and will likely be discontinued sometime around the DS. According to the official numbers given out by Sony and Nintendo, there is a gap of 2.88 million units, and that doesn't include PS2 sales made between Nov 21, 2011 and March 31, 2012.

Soriku said:
c03n3nj0 said:
What is the last main title released for the ps2? Anybody knows?

I mean, damn, what are the new consumers playing? It's crazy!

All the ridiculously good, cheap games that are on it that they missed. Seriously, the PS2 is a treasure trove in video game form and it just goes to show that lots of people are still willing to play older games. In the past 2 to 2 1/2 years I've played 21 PS2 games that I missed and they're as good as any current gen game and way cheaper. If you play long games like RPGs like me the value is just insane.

I still didn't get the chance to play any Kingdom of Hearts games and I'm a big RPG fan, I found this guy selling it on kijiji he wants 20 bucks for 1 and 2.

There are so many others I just don't have the time to play a 40 + hour game anymore :'(, I really wanna replay FFIX it's be like 10 years, I'm sure I'd understand it much better now.

Jumpin said:

PS2 will be passed by DS this year during the holiday season easily. DS will sell 15 million minimum in the next 5 years, PS2 has been done for a while now.

I was much closer than I usually am. I was only off by about 12 million.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'll never understand why Nintendo replaced the ds when it was still doing so well. It sold 20 million the year before the 3ds released they should have waited at least another year before replacing it. That way the 3ds could have a better launch as well.