By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

If Huddersfield Town are beating Manchester United 10 - 0 at half time, then Man U pull it back to 10 - 8 before the end... It's not a draw.

I don't know who Huddersfield Town is, but I'm offended that you compared Nintendo to Huddersfield Town.  It would be more like if a once great team starting winning titles again.  It would be like Liverpool winning the EPL title the next four years.  But I don't care for Liverpool...  I guess Nintendo is like Liverpool if they were to win all of those titles and I actually liked them.  I know that it's confusing, but try to follow me.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

@ OP Rol, in a way Nintendo is like Tim Tebow. Both are a lightning rod for discussion and most people seem to either love or hate them.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Zlejedi said:
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Something else to ponder - The Wii sold in "half" a generation, the same as the 360 and PS3 will likely sell in a full generation.

What about about the fact the gap is likely to go south of 20m when all is said and done?

1st - 110m~
2nd and 3rd - 90m~

They're all going to end up in the 30 - 40% marketshare range by the end of the gen

Then it's not even and the Wii clearly won by ~20 Million units.

That's a lot of consoles. It's in a lot less time than the current 2nd place console. It's going to have about 3 Years less time on the market than the 360 with meaningful sales yet it will beat it by about 20 Million units.

If Huddersfield Town are beating Manchester United 10 - 0 at half time, then Man U pull it back to 10 - 8 before the end... It's not a draw.

If you are speaking about lifetime of consoles then Wii victory is nowhere near assured. 2012 is the last year when it can get decent sales after that it will dissapear quickly while both X360 and PS3 have potential to get higher than 100-110 milions.

Also it will be remembered as the most pathetic generation winner ever - was there any gen when winner had <50% market share ? Also probably first winner which is laugthing stock of majority of gamers population.

X360and PS3 to sell 110 mil each life time? I will give you my house for free is this will ever happened!

A winner is a winner when it has 1 units sold more than the second.

And to go back to the main question in this thread.

Yes Wii was a success and this does not means that X360 and PS3 are not a success.

Wii Sales are good and Wii games are good.... We have the finest Mario and Zelda games ever on Wii and this is what we ahve always looked for in a Nintendo console.

Switch!!!

amp... Liverpool are racist.

Seece, what I would have replied back to you, newwil7l already said it.

The Wii is a MASSIVE success.

Massives sales, best sales ever by far for a Nintendo home console

Great sales for the games, the software leader of the generation as well

Geat games in quality.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Right, and that's one of the reasons that I don't like them.

amp316 said:
Carl2291 said:

Just stick with Huddersfield. Once the greatest team in the World!

Carl2291 said:
amp316 said:
Carl2291 said:

Just stick with Huddersfield. Once the greatest team in the World!

I'm not an expert on English football so I don't know if I should take your word for this.  All I know are the teams in the EPL and usually its Manchester United or Chelsea that's on in America.  :p

Zlejedi said:

Also it will be remembered as the most pathetic generation winner ever - was there any gen when winner had <50% market share ? Also probably first winner which is laugthing stock of majority of gamers population.

Well, the SNES ended at slightly over 50% market share. It sold 49 million itself, up against the Turbo Grafx and the Genesis. The Turbo Grafx sold 10 million, and the Genesis sold somewhere between 30 and 40 million itself.

And the reason you're being called out on your bias, is that you seem unable to understand that there are people who have different opinions from you. Unless, of course, you use a completely different definition of the gamers population than everybody else.

It could be argued that the Wii is the least impressive generation winner yet (well, if you ignore everything before the NES at least), for the reasons you mentioned. It's far easier to argue that what it's done is incredibly impressive, though. It's the - by far - most profitable home console yet. It's housed the top 5 (or, depending on how you view it, 5 of the top 6) most popular console games in existence, and created a larger amount of new gamers than any console since the NES.

I get that you don't like most of the Wii's games, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a heapload of people who do. It's made a load of people happy, I really don't know why it's made you mad.

Going back to an earlier comment, the Wii is not necessarily the least successful console war winner yet. Sure, it falls short of the PS1 and PS2, but the SNES didn't have that much greater a marketshare after you factor in the Genesis, Nomad, TurboGrafx, and Neo Geo.

Furthermore, the number of notable games for the Wii should not be underestimated. According to MetaCritic, the Wii has 86 games with a score higher than 80. That is far lower than the 200+ games for the HD twins and PS2, but is comparable to the 100 or so GameCube or DS games. Considering how those were Nintendo's least and most successful platforms ever respectively, something tells me that you don't need 200+ critical successes to be a successful console.

Love and tolerate.