By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482

I can't believe this is even a question somebody could seriously ask :). The metrics are so simple and obvious I can't see how you can miss it.

1. Did it sell better than it's competitors? YES

2. Did it make a profit for its company? YES, from *day one*

3. Does it have a library with enough great titles to make it worth owning? YES

4. Did it do something new to the gaming industry? YES

Whether it met the needs or desires of every last person is irrelevant; NOTHING meets everyone's needs or wants, that's why there's a market for more than one approach and one product :).

Wii is, by every reasonable standard, a success.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Roma said:
BasilZero said:
Roma said:
yes it was a success and not only sales wise and game wise it allso made me know who i am!

I’m a casual gamer! apparently to be a hardcore gamer I need to play games such as Halo, COD and Asscreed :P

Games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, MH-tri and a huge list of other games are casual games so it was failure games wise for the cool hardcore gamers but a huge success for us casuals :D

Not sure if you are serious....but 85-90% of the games on the Wii were indeed targeted at casuals I do agree and it was one of the reasons why it sold so well

Wii has no hardcore games because if it had hardcore games hardcore gamers would play on it and as we all know the cool hardcore gamers don’t have a Wii and if they do have one they are casual! How ells would I know I’m a casual gamer?

Hmm interesting view, I always thought the definition of a hard core gamer is a person who plays alot of games regardless of its age, play style, and design.

Edit: After checking up the definition/meaning/description I guess I would fall under the category of "Casual gamer" as well ;p

Edit 2: Oh wait they have "Mid-Core gamer" as well, which fits the discription of my play style lol.

"A core or mid-core gamer is a player with a wide range of interests and enthusiast toward creative and diverse games,[8] but without the amount of time spent and sense of competition of a hardcore gamer. The mid-core gamer enjoys complex games but won't buy every novel release, doesn't have time for long games,[9] and is a target consumer [10] that needs features not found in games for the other types. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that they designed the Wii U to cater to a core gamer who is between the casual and hard-core categories"

^ Seems like the Wii-U might be a future console for me! (Even though I do plan to get one eventually ;p).

Actually I was making fun of the obsessed hardcore gamers being hardcore

I guess I would call myself a mid-core gamer as well

But seriously though I think the Wii has something for everybody and in that sense it is a success in all categories but some people will never admit that.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Why didn't nintendo release a mario golf game with a golf club attachment? That would have sold 10 million easily. While were on that subject where is the mario tennis game for wii, or a mario basketball game(no, sports mix doesn't count). I could list many more ex where nintendo could have release huge sellers. Extremely successful console, how ever could have been much more successful

To say the Wii was a success is almost an understatement. It's has killer Nintendo games and made tons of money. As a gamer I think it's a must own console and from a business perspective it's the clear winner of this generation.

Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Something else to ponder - The Wii sold in "half" a generation, the same as the 360 and PS3 will likely sell in a full generation.

What about about the fact the gap is likely to go south of 20m when all is said and done?

1st - 110m~
2nd and 3rd - 90m~

They're all going to end up in the 30 - 40% marketshare range by the end of the gen

Then it's not even and the Wii clearly won by ~20 Million units.

That's a lot of consoles. It's in a lot less time than the current 2nd place console. It's going to have about 3 Years less time on the market than the 360 with meaningful sales yet it will beat it by about 20 Million units.

If Huddersfield Town are beating Manchester United 10 - 0 at half time, then Man U pull it back to 10 - 8 before the end... It's not a draw.

Again, stop restricting this to total HW, that's the main crux of it but I'm looking at the gen overall. 2006 - 2009 they owened, 2010 was nuetral and 2011 onwards they'll be dominated, not to mention quality and quantity of quality  SW has nearly always been in HD's favour. It's not as black and white as to determine if they did well or not vs the competition for the entire gen based on total HW sold. And your earlier point about Wii selling more in the first half of this gen vs what the HD consoles could likely sell life time just further points out they did well in the 1st half but lost it in the 2nd, (Just an FYI, at the half way point of wii's life it was at 67m, 2009) not sure what you'd class the half way point of this gen at, 2010? Seems a bit late to me, but even that's 85m, a figure both will surpass.

um 2010  was not neutral wii sold 17 million ps3 14 m and 360 13 m  if you think 2010 is neutral you might as well say 2011  was too

Around the Network

Success, to me, is measured in a consoles quantity of great games. Although the Wii had some great games, they pale in comparison to the PS3 and 360. I own all three, and the Wii is the least played, even by my kids.

Monges79 said:
Success, to me, is measured in a consoles quantity of great games. Although the Wii had some great games, they pale in comparison to the PS3 and 360. I own all three, and the Wii is the least played, even by my kids.

You must count exclusives you know...

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Overall I would have to say...yes, especially sales wise.

Well Wii sold more than other Nitnendo systems so yes, the first N system to top 100M so definitely a success.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Overall, Wii is only a failure compared to it's initial very rapid sales. It is a success in pretty much every other respect, apart from maybe gaining high profile 3rd party support (but then again MH3 and DQX are on Wii, rather than PS3)