By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482

Of course it was, it was one of the greatest successes in the history of videogames - and also the largest comeback for a company ever.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

The ones likely to buy their SW anywhere near the rate of the HD consoles ... I doubt it. I'd change that from hot chicks to average chicks. Whilst the hot chicks were at the party next door. If that's what it took to get the 3rd parties on board, that's what they should have done.

We have to work within the framework that was set by history, Seece. The chicks represent the amount of money that can be made. The more, the hotter the chicks are. How much money was made can be looked up in Nintendo's and third parties' financial reports. Based on that, the chicks at the party next door weren't especially hot and third parties needed to drink a lot of booze to make them look better, i.e. take losses for at least a couple of years.

Nowadays Nintendo doesn't throw any parties anymore and the chicks at the party next door look better, because they have undergone extensive cosmetic surgery.

Or to leave this analogy behind, third parties have been very persistent to make the HD consoles viable platforms for them. They lost money for years (some still do), but they kept investing. On the Wii they didn't even seriously try which is why the number of AAA third party games on the Wii is extremely low. What the Wii got in five years is about the monthly average for the HD consoles.

I have never understood anything as clearly as I have understood that "chicks" analogy.  Had my teachers adopted that way of explaining things, who knows where I would be or what I could have accomplished?

Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Something else to ponder - The Wii sold in "half" a generation, the same as the 360 and PS3 will likely sell in a full generation.

What about about the fact the gap is likely to go south of 20m when all is said and done?

1st - 110m~
2nd and 3rd - 90m~

They're all going to end up in the 30 - 40% marketshare range by the end of the gen

Then it's not even and the Wii clearly won by ~20 Million units.

That's a lot of consoles. It's in a lot less time than the current 2nd place console. It's going to have about 3 Years less time on the market than the 360 with meaningful sales yet it will beat it by about 20 Million units.

If Huddersfield Town are beating Manchester United 10 - 0 at half time, then Man U pull it back to 10 - 8 before the end... It's not a draw.

If you are speaking about lifetime of consoles then Wii victory is nowhere near assured. 2012 is the last year when it can get decent sales after that it will dissapear quickly while both X360 and PS3 have potential to get higher than 100-110 milions.

Also it will be remembered as the most pathetic generation winner ever - was there any gen when winner had <50% market share ? Also probably first winner which is laugthing stock of majority of gamers population.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Of course it is a great success. I still remember it was tooooo difficult to find a Wii before 2009. The 3rd party support might be an issue, but with the 1st party games from Nintendo, it is still worth of getting a Wii at home.

BTW, I am waiting for tread named "is XBOX360 a success?".

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
If you are speaking about lifetime of consoles then Wii victory is nowhere near assured. 2012 is the last year when it can get decent sales after that it will dissapear quickly while both X360 and PS3 have potential to get higher than 100-110 milions.

Also it will be remembered as the most pathetic generation winner ever - was there any gen when winner had <50% market share ? Also probably first winner which is laugthing stock of majority of gamers population.

Your second sentence establishes your clownish bias. Your first sentence establishes that you are also delusional.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Zlejedi said:

Your second sentence establishes your clownish bias. Your first sentence establishes that you are also delusional.

My bias ? Find me an other generation winner which had 2 or 3 good games released per year and non existing third party support.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Yes, it's a success, not for only the incredible sales. The revolutionary control and the great games that have, it's the console of this generation.

VGKing said:
From a sales standpoint? yes. 90 million Wiis sold is very impressive.

But what about its game library? Its really lacking compared to PS3 an Xbox 360. Zelda and Mario aren't enough. You can't deny that.

The Wii has a lot of exclusive topgames besides Zelda & Mario. I think from all actual consoles the wii has the greatest game library.

Zlejedi said:
Jumpin said:
Zlejedi said:

My bias ? Find me an other generation winner which had 2 or 3 good games released per year and non existing third party support.

The problem with Wii is that it didn't get all the big third party games but that doesn't make its' library bad because it got alot of gems, niche titles and really great support from Nintendo.

The Wii's library made it a great console for core gamers to have together with a PC/PS360.

Does Nintendo really care if PS360 close the gap between them and Wii?

Sony and MS had to  lose alot to get where they are, Nintendo made massive profits from Wii since day one. Seeing as how they've shifted focus to getting ready for Wii U's launch (and supporting 3DS ) and only have a bit left to put out on Wii, I'll say they've mostly moved on from this generation.

Also, let's not forget Wii hasn't had its' price cut to $99 yet.