By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482

the 360 and ps3 did amazing this year but they will be in decline from here on out kinect is the reason for wiis weak sales this year but honestly i think the wii u will kill kinect 360 and ps3 it will be a large drop when its relesed.

Around the Network

Something else to ponder - The Wii sold in "half" a generation, the same as the 360 and PS3 will likely sell in a full generation.

Burn in hell? That's a little extreme, Rol!!

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Third Party Relations - 4/10, awful, and don't go blaming 3rd parties either, saw a quote on gaf the other day. 'If you throw a party and nobody turns up, it's not the people that didn't turn up that's at fault, it's the host' (or something to that effect anyway) think it rings true to Nintendo. They just expected 3rd parties to come to Wii, didn't seem to work with them or offer incentives ect (just look at MS on how you should treat 3rd Parties)

To expand on this analogy:

Nintendo threw the biggest party in town with all the hot chicks being there (the paying consumers, what everyone is after), but third parties decided to go on a geek party, because Nintendo didn't send limousines with chauffeurs to third parties' offices.

The ones likely to buy their SW anywhere near the rate of the HD consoles ... I doubt it. I'd change that from hot chicks to average chicks. Whilst the hot chicks were at the party next door. If that's what it took to get the 3rd parties on board, that's what they should have done.

Carl2291 said:
Something else to ponder - The Wii sold in "half" a generation, the same as the 360 and PS3 will likely sell in a full generation.

What about about the fact the gap is likely to go south of 20m when all is said and done?

1st - 110m~
2nd and 3rd - 90m~

They're all going to end up in the 30 - 40% marketshare range by the end of the gen

Around the Network
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

What about about the fact the gap is likely to go south of 20m when all is said and done?

1st - 110m~
2nd and 3rd - 90m~

They're all going to end up in the 30 - 40% marketshare range by the end of the gen

Then it's not even and the Wii clearly won by ~20 Million units.

That's a lot of consoles. It's in a lot less time than the current 2nd place console. It's going to have about 3 Years less time on the market than the 360 with meaningful sales yet it will beat it by about 20 Million units.

If Huddersfield Town are beating Manchester United 10 - 0 at half time, then Man U pull it back to 10 - 8 before the end... It's not a draw.

yes it was a success and not only sales wise and game wise it allso made me know who i am!

I’m a casual gamer! apparently to be a hardcore gamer I need to play games such as Halo, COD and Asscreed!

Games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, MH-tri and a huge list of other games are casual games so it was a failure games wise for the cool hardcore gamers but a huge success for us casuals :D

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

1st - 110m~
2nd and 3rd - 90m~

Then it's not even and the Wii clearly won by ~20 Million units.

That's a lot of consoles. It's in a lot less time than the current 2nd place console. It's going to have about 3 Years less time on the market than the 360 with meaningful sales yet it will beat it by about 20 Million units.

If Huddersfield Town are beating Manchester United 10 - 0 at half time, then Man U pull it back to 10 - 8 before the end... It's not a draw.

Again, stop restricting this to total HW, that's the main crux of it but I'm looking at the gen overall. 2006 - 2009 they owened, 2010 was nuetral and 2011 onwards they'll be dominated, not to mention quality and quantity of quality  SW has nearly always been in HD's favour. It's not as black and white as to determine if they did well or not vs the competition for the entire gen based on total HW sold. And your earlier point about Wii selling more in the first half of this gen vs what the HD consoles could likely sell life time just further points out they did well in the 1st half but lost it in the 2nd, (Just an FYI, at the half way point of wii's life it was at 67m, 2009) not sure what you'd class the half way point of this gen at, 2010? Seems a bit late to me, but even that's 85m, a figure both will surpass.

BasilZero said:
Roma said:
yes it was a success and not only sales wise and game wise it allso made me know who i am!

I’m a casual gamer! apparently to be a hardcore gamer I need to play games such as Halo, COD and Asscreed :P

Games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, MH-tri and a huge list of other games are casual games so it was failure games wise for the cool hardcore gamers but a huge success for us casuals :D

Not sure if you are serious....but 85-90% of the games on the Wii were indeed targeted at casuals I do agree and it was one of the reasons why it sold so well

Wii has no hardcore games because if it had hardcore games hardcore gamers would play on it and as we all know the cool hardcore gamers don’t have a Wii and if they do have one they are casual! How ells would I know I’m a casual gamer?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

even if you dont count is amazing record pass sales for a console i think it was, it brought new audiences to gaming thats a big plus, almost all of its exclusive 1st party SW is still relevant, they get good reviews and sell great, thats kinda hard to do for franchises that are as old as nintendos.

as far as it succeeding for my tastes? absolutely not i dont like the motion controls, tired of the 1st party SW (kinda even for all 3 consoles 3rd party is where my purchases come from) and the 3rd party SW that i enjoy dont make it to the wii or is far inferior.

overall though i have no ill feeling towards nintendo as a gaming company , i have all there consoles but the Wii never ever had a HW issue with any. I feel that they should continue to do there own thing (in terms of gaming experience) and not worry bout the 3rd party as much i dont think theres room for 3 consoles to offer the same game experience, they provided a gaming experience different than the others it might of been a little rough with the 5th and 6th gens but if they continue to differentiate themselves as they did this gen they'll have a great future

Play Me