By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482
RolStoppable said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Rol, you said something very interesting in one of your previous posts. You said that even Nintendo themselves grew to hate the Wii. So then, why Wii U? Won't that name turn off many gamers?

What would be the reason to drop the most successful home console in company history that is also still capable of moving software in huge numbers? In 2009 Nintendo released Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii which gave the system new life after many already thought that the fad had come to an end. Two years later, 2011, would have been a realistic timeframe to launch sequels to all three games. Sequels sell and right now Just Dance with its yearly releases is the biggest series on the Wii. There is no evidence to suggest that sequels to the aforementioned games wouldn't have sold in excess of ten million copies each.

So why weren't these games made? Because Nintendo didn't like where this was going. A quick glance at the 3DS makes it obvious that Nintendo developers like to make certain games while they apparently hate to make others, because financially speaking, some games should have already been released or at least announced for the 3DS. The simplest way to move over your existing userbase to your new system is to release a sequel to the bestselling game of your previous system on the new system. If a company doesn't do this, it is either run by clueless idiots or people who take deliberate actions to pursue a certain goal. Nintendo's goal seems to be to make the games they want, rather than making the games the market wants.

Wii Sports, Wii Fit and Super Mario Bros. were merely tools for Nintendo to get people to buy their console and eventually buy the games Nintendo developers like to make. This didn't really happen though, so Nintendo is forced to keep making the games they don't like in order for their console to sell. But if they had third party support like Sony and Microsoft, then Nintendo would have more freedom as the console's fate wouldn't entirely rest on first party software. This is one side of the idea behind the Wii U, hence why it seems to be tailored to the wishes of third parties with its controller and its specs.

The other side is that Nintendo would like Wii owners to buy their next console, so the Wii U, including its name, is presented as a true successor to the Wii. Similarly, the 3DS was passed off as DS successor. Take a similar name and put the sequel to an expanded audience game on it (but nothing else), that should do the job. But it didn't work and Nintendo was forced to run their business in the red to meet their sales projections. They were also forced to rush Mario Kart 7 out the door which is puzzling considering that this game was of utmost importance, businesswise. The way things went, it seems as if Nintendo didn't even plan to launch it in the 3DS's first year.

The 3DS problems won't stop Nintendo from launching the Wii U with Wii Sports 3 though, a game that will most likely not utilize the new controller in any meaningful way. People will wonder why they have to buy a new console for a game that could have been on the Wii. And of course, the hardcore gamer Nintendo wants to buy their console will be turned off by the name of the system. A brand name carries a certain image and if it doesn't match what you want to accomplish, you are in trouble. The name Wii U is the most idiotic move since Microsoft launched the shitbox successor with the name Xbox 360 in Japan.

Valid points.

On the first bolded point, this is very true. Wii Sports Resort is a very good game, imo, but it was made to lift the Wii off the ground. Perhaps this may change with the Wii U though, as I believe that controller is just too good.

I especially agree with the last part.  I know for certain that when the Wii U was revealed last E3, my hype level went from 100 to 0 in a second and I was probably the most confused person at the moment. Another thing is, this whole gaming industry is a system. Wii U is probably the smartest idea since, 3D graphics were revealed, but something like that can be ruined because of a name is just so dumb. I still prefer Cafe...

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network

I'm gonna go ahead and answer the question now and say, no. Now that I think about it, the Wii is not a success. It outsold the competition, so what? It did NOT live up to it''s FULL POTENTIAL. If it did, we may well see 120+ million units sold units, similar to the PS2. Wii catered mostly to the casual, but where are the hardcore games?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Define...success.

I would say so. It grabbed the motion controller gig and ran with it and capitalized on the huge market of the casual gamers, who we can assume that most of the younger casual gamers will grow to become core gamers. Wii U is suppose to be a more mature gaming console than the Wii so as their fanbase grows (in age), so will their games.

To stay on topic and keep it simple, it was a big success, no denying.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:Wii U is suppose to be a more mature gaming console than the Wii so as their fanbase grows (in age), so will their games.

Ingenious. I never saw it that way. Nintendo is trying to follow the greater Wii market (children and their respective families) with a follow up. Awesome point.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and answer the question now and say, no. Now that I think about it, the Wii is not a success. It outsold the competition, so what? It did NOT live up to it''s FULL POTENTIAL. If it did, we may well see 120+ million units sold units, similar to the PS2. Wii catered mostly to the casual, but where are the hardcore games?

Well, too be fair. Is that really Ninty's fault? Its not like they JUST made Wiithis and that. They did also make games that were more traditional of what they usually did. Metriod Prime 3, the Marios, DKCR, S&P2 etc. Yeah im still baffled that with didnt see a proper followup to Mario Golf or Tennis, but hell. Look how long Metroid went without a console release. And you can blame them for maybe pushing the whole "casual" thing to the forefront, but it wasnt like they could push the hardcore thing. WIth what?? How could they mess with SOny or MS in that category?? Their online was and is still much worse than the other two and the hardware is much weaker than the other two and the "hardcore" library is weaker. With that competition I think NOT targeting the hardcore was smart. If you cant beat em, do something else.

Even if you were to blame 3rd parties, and even if 3rd parties put gimped versions of whatever game Wii fans call foul about. It would still not sell or be as good as the HD version, because people would know its the worst one.

Areym said:
Define...success.

I would say so. It grabbed the motion controller gig and ran with it and capitalized on the huge market of the casual gamers, who we can assume that most of the younger casual gamers will grow to become core gamers. Wii U is suppose to be a more mature gaming console than the Wii so as their fanbase grows (in age), so will their games.

Gotta disagree, if anything most of the casual owners of Wii are your grandmas, soccer moms, generally people who are not into gaming that much. (look at JD games). The thing is those people have not and will not give a crap about these mature games. ANd im sure the children, already have a PS360 to play those Batmans, GTAs what have you. PUt is this way. I grew up playing a Genesis, but there were no motion controllers to "grab me" and I grew to be a "core" gamer. Why woud this gen be different?

oniyide said:
Areym said:
Define...success.

Gotta disagree, if anything most of the casual owners of Wii are your grandmas, soccer moms, generally people who are not into gaming that much. (look at JD games). The thing is those people have not and will not give a crap about these mature games. ANd im sure the children, already have a PS360 to play those Batmans, GTAs what have you. PUt is this way. I grew up playing a Genesis, but there were no motion controllers to "grab me" and I grew to be a "core" gamer. Why woud this gen be different?

Well, that certainly could be the case, especially with the older casual gamers (which I completely ignored for that very reason) but I'm sure Nintendo didn't set out to make a console which was that forgetable. I really meant those kids around the age of 8 ~ 11, who in my opinion should not be playing GTAs or Batman to begin with. Also not every parent has the money to drop on two consoles. Hell, my parents did not gift me and siblings a console this gen. I actually got my PS3 in 2009 with my own money when I got a job. They were not entitled to buy it for us but it was something we really really wanted. Still, I never complained cause they had bought us a PS2 which was still up an running so I personally believe it's more of a rare case that a parent will buy two consoles (one for core games and one for casual games) than young Wii gamers becoming core gamers. I mean the Wii is economic, durable and has a lot of value to it and chances are that all the games bought weren't all shovelware (with some exceptions within the casual gamer demographic.) Motion controls were a means to grab tha casual audience because at the end of the day, most casual gamers don't give a crap about the line up of an upcoming console. They don't do the reasearch, other than maybe parents looking out for violent video games.

Let me rephrase that statement; "we can assume that a good amount of the younger casual gamers will grow to become core gamers"

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

TomaTito said:

Interesting.  It doesn't look like Nintendo is running in the red at all.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
TomaTito said:

Interesting.  It doesn't look like Nintendo is running in the red at all.

what is more interesting is that gamecube with 25million sales vs ps2 140million has made more profit.

So GCN more successful than ps2? fiinancially that is