By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482
Train wreck said:

I think people who use Netflix as a guage of the living room are kinda behind the times.  Netflix wont be around in two years, the content cost skyrocketing alone will drive this company to merge with another or go away.  Microsoft is expanding their use of the Xbox kinda as a replacement of the standard set top box adding content providers such as ESPN and Verizon, expaning use of the kinect to drive no gaming activities, you know expaning their living room presence.  Sony still commands 25% of music and movies so their content will be unlimited in the services they can create.  Nintendo doesnt have any of that and is trying to shape it with Wii U and will fail doing so.  No new games on the horizon means alot of Wii owners will be going off nostalgia as opposed to new game content.  The list goes on and on...

Brushing off all the points brought to you which are actually relevant to OP, you then follow by running on assumptions.

"Netflix wont be around in two years, the content cost skyrocketing alone will drive this company to merge with another or go away."

Nice crystal ball you've got, I'd like one. but even then...

What does any of this unfounded extrapolating have to do with Wii's success from 2006 to 2012? Two years from now Wii U is already out, so relative to Wii your argument is moot.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Train wreck said:

For the better part of a year and a half here in the US until the end of the Wii's second holiday season, you were hard pressed to find a stand alone Wii for $249, the majority were bundled through retailers driving up the price or invidual sellers were selling it higher that the MSRP, I dont need to change the subject on a subject so trivial.

Your posts lack coherence, so let's start over with a question that can be answered with either "yes" or "no".

Were resellers the main reason for high Wii sales?

With the advent of any craze, "yes" resellers "a reason" but not the "sole reason"

Train wreck said:
RolStoppable said:

Your posts lack coherence, so let's start over with a question that can be answered with either "yes" or "no".

With the advent of any craze, "yes" resellers "a reason" but not the "sole reason"

" I personally felt people were buying Wii's for the wrong reason, more of a profit motivator (i.e. I could buy a system that has chronic shortages and resell it at a higher value) than for a actual video game system."

You ought to choose your words more carefully, if you do not mean to imply a majority.

Train wreck said:
RolStoppable said:
Train wreck said:

For the better part of a year and a half here in the US until the end of the Wii's second holiday season, you were hard pressed to find a stand alone Wii for $249, the majority were bundled through retailers driving up the price or invidual sellers were selling it higher that the MSRP, I dont need to change the subject on a subject so trivial.

How does any of this make sense. Resells at a higher MSRP give a false sense of sales?

I would empathize with your point if they were sold at a price lower than the MSRP, but HIGHER? :S

Financially the Wii has been awesome for Nintendo. So check that off for a 'yes'.

The Wii is also Nintendo's best selling home console ever (and by quite a large margin). So that's another 'yes'.

I suppose the only subjective view is on the Wii's library of games. However, I own more games for the Wii than I have for any other console (home or portable) I've ever owned (60 games thus far, and that number will be growing this year as well). It's also given me some of my favorite games of all time, as well as numerous gaming gems that I'm happy to have played. So personally, this is another 'yes' as far as I'm concerned. ^_^

So yeah...Wii did pretty good for itself this generation. There's definitely room for improvement, but I sure am having a blast thus far!

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Train wreck said:

I think people who use Netflix as a guage of the living room are kinda behind the times.  Netflix wont be around in two years, the content cost skyrocketing alone will drive this company to merge with another or go away.  Microsoft is expanding their use of the Xbox kinda as a replacement of the standard set top box adding content providers such as ESPN and Verizon, expaning use of the kinect to drive no gaming activities, you know expaning their living room presence.  Sony still commands 25% of music and movies so their content will be unlimited in the services they can create.  Nintendo doesnt have any of that and is trying to shape it with Wii U and will fail doing so.  No new games on the horizon means alot of Wii owners will be going off nostalgia as opposed to new game content.  The list goes on and on...

Brushing off all the points brought to you which are actually relevant to OP, you then follow by running on assumptions.

"Netflix wont be around in two years, the content cost skyrocketing alone will drive this company to merge with another or go away."

Nice crystal ball you've got, I'd like one. but even then...

What does any of this unfounded extrapolating have to do with Wii's success from 2006 to 2012? Two years from now Wii U is already out, so relative to Wii your argument is moot.

I dont know, I never deemed the Wii to be successful from 2006-2012.  Im just saying that using netflix as a barometer on whether the wii didnt lose the battle of the living room is kinda mute A.  I don't blieve the compnay will be around in two years and B. Its experience is not unique.

Train wreck said:A.  I don't blieve the compnay will be around in two years and B. Its experience is not unique.

How could the company not be around in two years??

How is the Wii experience not unique?? Have you even played Super Mario Galaxy, or Skyward Sword? Even Wii Sports! :S

I'm flabbergasted.

happydolphin said:
Train wreck said:A.  I don't blieve the compnay will be around in two years and B. Its experience is not unique.

How is the Wii experience not unique?? Have you even played Super Mario Galaxy, or Skyward Sword? Even Wii Sports! :S

I'm flabbergasted.

Netflix experience is not unique, Netflix, thats the point you were making.

Train wreck said:
happydolphin said:

I'm flabbergasted.

Netflix experience is not unique, Netflix, thats the point you were making.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about Nintendo... Sorry.

Well, Netflix is according to you gone in about two years, so okay possible, but again Wii U will be out. Netflix is relevant for now, that's what I meant. I'll just leave it at that I don't want to derail the thread.

HW sales - yes (still the market leader and although it's going to bow out first it's sold more than enough units)
SW sales - yes (huge software sales and a lot of it 1st party)
Marketshare vs predecessor - yes (if the 360 is a big jump over the Xbox then the Wii easily outdoes that)
Profitability - yes (HW/SW raked in huge sums)
Market Impact - yes (not just how it altered a lot of expectations for games but drove both MS and Sony to join in)
3rd Party Success - mixed
All genre appeal - decent (didn't have the necessary infrastructure to compete in the online / social genres)

All in all yes.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...