By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482
theARTIST0017 said:
Okay so then if the Wii is not a success, what makes it not a success? That's the real question.

It's not a success because it doesn't enough REAL games. 

It also needs more brown, red, and black in their titles.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
oniyide said:
theARTIST0017 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and answer the question now and say, no. Now that I think about it, the Wii is not a success. It outsold the competition, so what? It did NOT live up to it''s FULL POTENTIAL. If it did, we may well see 120+ million units sold units, similar to the PS2. Wii catered mostly to the casual, but where are the hardcore games?

Well, too be fair. Is that really Ninty's fault? Its not like they JUST made Wiithis and that. They did also make games that were more traditional of what they usually did. Metriod Prime 3, the Marios, DKCR, S&P2 etc. Yeah im still baffled that with didnt see a proper followup to Mario Golf or Tennis, but hell. Look how long Metroid went without a console release. And you can blame them for maybe pushing the whole "casual" thing to the forefront, but it wasnt like they could push the hardcore thing. WIth what?? How could they mess with SOny or MS in that category?? Their online was and is still much worse than the other two and the hardware is much weaker than the other two and the "hardcore" library is weaker. With that competition I think NOT targeting the hardcore was smart. If you cant beat em, do something else.

Even if you were to blame 3rd parties, and even if 3rd parties put gimped versions of whatever game Wii fans call foul about. It would still not sell or be as good as the HD version, because people would know its the worst one.

First question, yes. They made the Wii didn't they? They made the traditional games yes and I'm glad but they do a horrible job attracting 3rd parties. As for the casual thing, yes. They did it, so they must reap what they sow. You ask how can they mess with Sony or M$ in that category? Really? Who's been in this business the longest? I think they would know a thing or two about gaming, they're not new to this. As for the online, I blame Nintendo. They need to learn how to take notes, and if they can't, they should have someone else take it for them. Saying not targeting the hardcore was smart but if someone stole something you used to have, wouldn't you want it back? I know I would. You also say if you can't beat em, do something else. I don't like that. That kind of system is actually to Nintendo's disadvantage because look what happened! The competetion copied them and stole some of that audience too! Do I make a good point there? 

As for your last sentence, I remember back on a little old purple box, a multiplatform game called Soul Calibur 2 sold better on that box than the PS2 and Xbox versions. Bring the games, and the gamers will come. The end.

I see your point, sort of. THey shouldnt have cheaped out on hardware I agree. And they did a crap job of getting 3rd party support. and the online was their fault. No argument there. I ask you how they coudl mess with Sony and MS in the "hardcore" front and you didnt answer my question. Saying they are Ninty is not an answer it wasnt with the N64, it wasnt with GC and it isnt now. How could have Ninty done better against the PS360 with what they have had to work with? In saying they couldnt. Did they really have the hardcore?? ANd if they did, they have been trying to get it back for years. this is the third gen in a row that they have failed at that. Doing something over and over again and expecting a different result is insane. Stole the audience?? Thats not even true, if that were the case. JD3 would have done better on Kinect and PS3 and it didnt, so it seems that the casual audience still messes with Wii for the most part. 

ANd no SC2 did NOT sell better on GC, the PS2 version was still the best selling one, check the numbers.

oniyide said:
theARTIST0017 said:
oniyide said:
theARTIST0017 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and answer the question now and say, no. Now that I think about it, the Wii is not a success. It outsold the competition, so what? It did NOT live up to it''s FULL POTENTIAL. If it did, we may well see 120+ million units sold units, similar to the PS2. Wii catered mostly to the casual, but where are the hardcore games?

Well, too be fair. Is that really Ninty's fault? Its not like they JUST made Wiithis and that. They did also make games that were more traditional of what they usually did. Metriod Prime 3, the Marios, DKCR, S&P2 etc. Yeah im still baffled that with didnt see a proper followup to Mario Golf or Tennis, but hell. Look how long Metroid went without a console release. And you can blame them for maybe pushing the whole "casual" thing to the forefront, but it wasnt like they could push the hardcore thing. WIth what?? How could they mess with SOny or MS in that category?? Their online was and is still much worse than the other two and the hardware is much weaker than the other two and the "hardcore" library is weaker. With that competition I think NOT targeting the hardcore was smart. If you cant beat em, do something else.

Even if you were to blame 3rd parties, and even if 3rd parties put gimped versions of whatever game Wii fans call foul about. It would still not sell or be as good as the HD version, because people would know its the worst one.

First question, yes. They made the Wii didn't they? They made the traditional games yes and I'm glad but they do a horrible job attracting 3rd parties. As for the casual thing, yes. They did it, so they must reap what they sow. You ask how can they mess with Sony or M$ in that category? Really? Who's been in this business the longest? I think they would know a thing or two about gaming, they're not new to this. As for the online, I blame Nintendo. They need to learn how to take notes, and if they can't, they should have someone else take it for them. Saying not targeting the hardcore was smart but if someone stole something you used to have, wouldn't you want it back? I know I would. You also say if you can't beat em, do something else. I don't like that. That kind of system is actually to Nintendo's disadvantage because look what happened! The competetion copied them and stole some of that audience too! Do I make a good point there? 

As for your last sentence, I remember back on a little old purple box, a multiplatform game called Soul Calibur 2 sold better on that box than the PS2 and Xbox versions. Bring the games, and the gamers will come. The end.

I see your point, sort of. THey shouldnt have cheaped out on hardware I agree. And they did a crap job of getting 3rd party support. and the online was their fault. No argument there. I ask you how they coudl mess with Sony and MS in the "hardcore" front and you didnt answer my question. Saying they are Ninty is not an answer it wasnt with the N64, it wasnt with GC and it isnt now. How could have Ninty done better against the PS360 with what they have had to work with? In saying they couldnt. Did they really have the hardcore?? ANd if they did, they have been trying to get it back for years. this is the third gen in a row that they have failed at that. Doing something over and over again and expecting a different result is insane. Stole the audience?? Thats not even true, if that were the case. JD3 would have done better on Kinect and PS3 and it didnt, so it seems that the casual audience still messes with Wii for the most part. 

ANd no SC2 did NOT sell better on GC, the PS2 version was still the best selling one, check the numbers.

As for the hardcore, they've been there. But at the same time, new gamers from new generations were born and thus that audience was swallowed by Sony and M$ quickly because most of todays hardcore gamers are image concious consumers and don't want to be caught playing with Nintendo because they feel it's childish. See, Reggie condraticts himself without even knowing it. He said himself in an interview at CES that Nintendo doesn't care what the competition is doing, yet they are trying to strengthen relations with tihrd parties by getting the same games that are on the competitors consoles! SO THEN, why can't Nintendo open their eyes? They are not blind? As for how could Nintendo have done better against the PS3 and 360 with what they had to work with, I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you that with the massive amounts of profits that Nintendo rakes in from all of their products combined, their consoles have been a little on the cheap side when it comes to all around entertainment and value. The reason why I said who's been in the business the longest is because this is a 120+ year old company. If anyone would know the answer its not us. Perhaps it's because Nintendo doesn't like to listen to its fans. Perhaps its because the names they give their consoles. Pehaps its because they are the most lenient when it comes to shovelware? 

The best thing they can do is create a console that will appeal to not only hardcore/casual, but also appeals to 3rd Parties. That, I believe, is the answer.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

It surely lived up to Nintendo's expectations. It's Ninty that didn't live up to the expectations of Wii and its fans.
Wii didn't fail, Ninty did.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
It surely lived up to Nintendo's expectations. It's Ninty that didn't live up to the expectations of Wii and its fans.

With all the great first party games Nintendo put out for the Wii, they somehow failed?

They basically carried the system on their own. The Wii is an awesome  system for Nintendo fans.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Okay so then if the Wii is not a success, what makes it not a success? That's the real question.

It's not a success because it doesn't enough REAL games. 

It also needs more brown, red, and black in their titles.

Don't forget grey, that's probably the most important colour.

Play4Fun said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

With all the great first party games Nintendo put out for the Wii, they somehow failed?

They basically carried the system on their own. The Wii is an awesome  system for Nintendo fans.

They are letting it die. It's not like if they release more new first party games for it they lose money, they would earn even more. Reggie even trolls American gamers not porting existing games to them. They started killing Wii far before its successor's release.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Play4Fun said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

They are letting it die. It's not like if they release more new first party games for it they lose money, they would earn even more. Reggie even trolls American gamers not porting existing games to them. They started killing Wii far before its successor's release.

They launched 3DS last year and Wii U is coming this year. They had to shift  development to support their new systems.

Unlike the other two, they can't count on third parties to support their system in its' final months while they move on to a new console.

Play4Fun said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Play4Fun said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

They launched 3DS last year and Wii U is coming this year. They had to shift  development to support their new systems.

Unlike the other two, they can't count on third parties to support their system in its' final months while they move on to a new console.

Then, by all means, at least port all the relevant games to USA and support its late sales there in the most cost effective way, if they already ported them to UK and Australia, the translation should already be almost done, they just have to mangle the English one to get the American one!    Reggie trolling American Wii gamers doesn't look like such a good idea to me, and even if it were, they are trolled for free, while they'd pay to have the games EU and Japanese gamers have  ... And for the games that wouldn't justify a port, just ditch the region lock and make their import trouble-free!

theARTIST0017 said:
oniyide said:
theARTIST0017 said:
oniyide said:
theARTIST0017 said:

As for the hardcore, they've been there. But at the same time, new gamers from new generations were born and thus that audience was swallowed by Sony and M$ quickly because most of todays hardcore gamers are image concious consumers and don't want to be caught playing with Nintendo because they feel it's childish. See, Reggie condraticts himself without even knowing it. He said himself in an interview at CES that Nintendo doesn't care what the competition is doing, yet they are trying to strengthen relations with tihrd parties by getting the same games that are on the competitors consoles! SO THEN, why can't Nintendo open their eyes? They are not blind? As for how could Nintendo have done better against the PS3 and 360 with what they had to work with, I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you that with the massive amounts of profits that Nintendo rakes in from all of their products combined, their consoles have been a little on the cheap side when it comes to all around entertainment and value. The reason why I said who's been in the business the longest is because this is a 120+ year old company. If anyone would know the answer its not us. Perhaps it's because Nintendo doesn't like to listen to its fans. Perhaps its because the names they give their consoles. Pehaps its because they are the most lenient when it comes to shovelware? 

The best thing they can do is create a console that will appeal to not only hardcore/casual, but also appeals to 3rd Parties. That, I believe, is the answer.

I agree with just about everything you said, except for the whole, Nintendo is childish metality. PS brand just got more popular, it had nothing to do with people wanting to look cool. If that was the case, Genesis would have done better. Its a monkey see monkey do society, my friends are getting the PS, so am I. Its that simple.   Reggie is a tool, thats all. "their consoles have been a little on the cheap side when it come to all around entertainment value." hell ive been saying that forever, glad to see im not alone. For a company that was doing so well, its absolutely pathetic that they let stuff like their online, get worse and dont get me on VC, ugh. Hell yeah they are lenient on shovelware, it may hurt their image but it doesnt hurt their pockets. There games are selling anyway. 

As for your last sentence, you're right. And iMHO i think thats wha the Wii U is trying to be. Hell Wii U is what the WIi should have been, tablet controller notwithstanding.